M10-R with primes for landscape or?

o2mpx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With retirement and post Covid increasing travel, have not been using the M10-R with a complement of primes (typically 21/35/50/90/135) but have been taking the 2 SL zooms with the S1r and even the CL with its 3 zooms for better versatility. 

Curious if M10 owners tend to select another setup for travel landscapes?

M10-R with 50APO is sweet magic to my photographic lifestyle in mot having to think about which lens to use, and truly a blessing to avoiding neck / backaches.

They are my capture everywhere combo.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

o2mpx,   When I am in heading for challenging terrain for my landscapes, I have a M10-R with 18 SEM, 24 Elmar, 35 and 75 Apo Summicrons.  My every day landscape set up with the SL2 consists of a M 21 SEM, 28 Summicron v3, 50 + 90 Apo Summicrons.  On occasion, I swap out the 90 for the 135 depending where I am going.  I never take more than 4 lenses and on average take 3 to keep my gear load light.   r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

If only for travel, I would bring a Summaron 35 f2.8 with M10-R. However, if I travel with my wife, I would add an Elmar-M 50 f2.8.
35mm is for shooting everything during travel, 50mm is mainly for decent portraits.
Using zoom or not is not a gear concern, it's philosophy. Just like RF, using RF is not a gear concern, it's a photo style concern. But many Leica users haven't realized this.
Some Leica users always want to have a precious composition, but that's SLR's (or large format camera's) job, not RF's job. RF's composition is from intuition, not from thinking.
Intuitive composition comes from talent (but not all people have) or training/experience.

M10R with late version 28/35/50 MATE, especially if changing lenses due to environment, etc is an issue.  Otherwise a 50 APO Summicron and 28mm Elmarit if I am comfortable changing lenses.  All fit easily into a Waterfly sling bag with room for other misc travel items.

• Like 2

Purely speculation reading different commentary online; believe the first M was announced in photokina Apr/May 1954. So perhaps Leica has something this year (had a typo in original post, should be 70thnot 75th)?

• 2 weeks later...

When I work with the Ms I use a 28  and a 50 (summicrons), each mounted in one camera (10r, 9P). I also use a 75 for portraits, but anything landscape is with the mentioned lenses.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 12:36 PM, o2mpx said:

With retirement and post Covid increasing travel, have not been using the M10-R with a complement of primes (typically 21/35/50/90/135) but have been taking the 2 SL zooms with the S1r and even the CL with its 3 zooms for better versatility. 

Curious if M10 owners tend to select another setup for travel landscapes?

Your title specifies “M10-R,” but your post says “M10 owners,” so, I will answer that I seem to “see” landscapes at 35mm, so, for my original-version M10, have used the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1,4 ZM. (Before I added the Leica M system, which happened in April 2018, I used a Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS and EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, on a 50MP Canon 5Ds R DSLR, during a 2016 road trip. I did not feel constrained by having only these two focal lengths.

I am certainly not any kind of expert, and do not consider myself an accomplished landscape shooter. I am joining this discussion mostly in order to learn from others.

During a 2015 road trip, across the USA’s Old South, then NE to the Chesapeake region, I brought 14-24mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8 “pro” Nikon zooms, but found that I used the 24-70mm for almost everything, and tended to shoot landscape-like images at 30mm and 31mm. I was traveling with my teen nephew, who wanted to see historic sites, and his grandparents’ graves at Arlington National Cemetery. As is typical when traveling with an impatient teenager, there was little time to set-up proper landscape shots, so, I considered these images to be “scouting” for a future landscape trip, along the same route, which I hope will happen this year, with my wife, who is an avid photographer.

My lessons from the above-mentioned road trips is that I would rather not travel with more than one heavy zoom lens.

Since my last road trip to interesting landscape areas, which happened in 2019, I have added the Cosina Voigtlander Nokton 21mm f/1.4 ZM and APO Lanthar 50mm VM, and hope to try them this year, for landscape images. (We live on flat coastal plain, which rarely inspires me to shoot what would generally be seen as “landscapes.”) I have used my Zeiss C Biogon 21mm f/4,5 ZM on a Monochrom 246, but this one tends to show color shifts at the edges on color digital M cameras, which is why I added the Voigtlander Nokton 21mm f/1.4 VM, specifically for landscape images with the M10. I also added the Elmar-M 24mm ASPH.

Edited by RexGig0