Jump to content

Where are all the Reviews of the 21 APO?


jplomley

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Sohail said:

I'm very tempted to get this lens but curiously how much does it distort at the edges? It looks like there's some inevitable stretching going on with the guy on the left. How pronounced is this in your experience with the 21?

I did some architectural correction on the verticals because of the walls and window that I wanted to appear straight vertical.  Before I did that there wasn’t that much noticeable stretch.  I think in general, it feels like a very normal view without distortion unless things are very close to the camera.  I liked the look of the lens.  It felt more natural than the canon super wides I had used previously.

Robb

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, robb said:

I did some architectural correction on the verticals because of the walls and window that I wanted to appear straight vertical.  Before I did that there wasn’t that much noticeable stretch.  I think in general, it feels like a very normal view without distortion unless things are very close to the camera.  I liked the look of the lens.  It felt more natural than the canon super wides I had used previously.

Robb

Thanks It looks like a fantastic lens. Picture #134 looks "natural". Fancy sharing the unedited version? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2024 at 2:01 AM, Sohail said:

Thanks It looks like a fantastic lens. Picture #134 looks "natural". Fancy sharing the unedited version? 

Sorry for the late reply.  Pm me an email and I’ll send you the raw file.

Robb

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Thinking about selling my 24-90, 90-280, 50 SL APO, and Panasonic 16-35 and picking up the 21 APO (and SL3)

I basically only use my 35 and 75 APOs for events and weddings nowadays, I've fallen out of love with the 50mm (I find it boring for some reason)

Been experimenting with keeping the Pana 16-35 pinned at 21mm, I've been loving super wides lately. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PeterBoyadjian said:

Thinking about selling my 24-90, 90-280, 50 SL APO, and Panasonic 16-35 and picking up the 21 APO (and SL3)

I basically only use my 35 and 75 APOs for events and weddings nowadays, I've fallen out of love with the 50mm (I find it boring for some reason)

Been experimenting with keeping the Pana 16-35 pinned at 21mm, I've been loving super wides lately. 

SL21 will not let you down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, PeterBoyadjian said:

Thinking about selling my 24-90, 90-280, 50 SL APO, and Panasonic 16-35 and picking up the 21 APO (and SL3)

I basically only use my 35 and 75 APOs for events and weddings nowadays, I've fallen out of love with the 50mm (I find it boring for some reason)

Been experimenting with keeping the Pana 16-35 pinned at 21mm, I've been loving super wides lately. 

I’ve been experimenting with the 21 + 75 APOs and Sigma 35/2, and telling myself I don’t want the 35 APO.
The 21 and 75 feel very natural to me and I will mostly grab one or the other, but the gap can be a bit much at times. Those 3 focal lengths are a great combo. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely work there. Clicking through and the pictures are all soft for me, but I think that is not the lens, just maybe the retina screen or something. But the character of the lens looks really really lovely. The bokeh is surprisingly beautiful. I would love this lens, but I don't know if I would use it enough. Right now my widest is the Sigma 24mm and I have only used it for 5% of the photos I have taken on the SL2. Meanwhile around 33% are with the 50mm APO Summicron and 20% with the 90-280 (which I only got a year or two into owning the body). The question is would a better lens cause me to use it more? My guess is not to that extent...still, I will keep my eye out in case I can find one for a good price (lol).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up the 21 from Leica LA yesterday, from my first round of tests it looks absolutely amazing. 

Smokes the 24-90 @ 24 and Pana 16-35 at 21. 

Not sure how the edges are going to work just yet but I have a massive party to shoot Saturday and this will be in rotation for cocktail hour. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PeterBoyadjian said:

Just noticed that the 21 apo misses focus on iaf mode but tack sharp on afs. Anyone else having this issue. This isn’t the case with all my other lenses. 

iaf is switching between AFs and cAF (as far as I understand). cAF only works up to 'Continuous - Medium Speed'), so in case you are on High Speed, this may explain the problem. In general, cAF is not that reliable, based on my experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2024 at 3:57 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

Lovely work there. Clicking through and the pictures are all soft for me, but I think that is not the lens, just maybe the retina screen or something. But the character of the lens looks really really lovely. The bokeh is surprisingly beautiful. I would love this lens, but I don't know if I would use it enough. Right now my widest is the Sigma 24mm and I have only used it for 5% of the photos I have taken on the SL2. Meanwhile around 33% are with the 50mm APO Summicron and 20% with the 90-280 (which I only got a year or two into owning the body). The question is would a better lens cause me to use it more? My guess is not to that extent...still, I will keep my eye out in case I can find one for a good price (lol).

The issue is not purely one of 'would I use it a lot?' but you might want to consider the question of 'would I miss that 'once in a lifetime shot' if I didn't have it?'  With a high resolution sensor you can always crop to some extent, but a wide angle lens can do things you cannot get by stitching many images together.  personally, I cannot justify the expense, but if your bank account will forgive you ... only you can tell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like an amazing lens. As super wide lenses go, I have a 14mm Sigma 1.8 (in an L mount), but the corners are ridiculously soft and understandably so. It's the same I think with the wider end of the 16-35 SL zoom.  I can't see Leica coming out with an even wider lens unless it's a Sigma rehash, which is why the 21 APO is definitely on my want list.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot a birthday on Saturday with the 21 APO in rotation. What a nightmare, the room was blood red - red draped walls to the ceiling. I still bounce flashed and corrected skin tones in Lightroom. The step and shoot was small, I was like four or five feet away, so any 4 person lineups I had to use the 21. 

APO SL performance in a 21mm, how they did it not sure, but it's a keeper. 

 

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a great lens but just judging by the pictures here and elsewhere (especially the first picture), it distorts (i.e. stretches the frame noticeably) about a third of the way in on either side. I think the 28 works better for these kinds of shots. It begs the question of what sort of shots the 21 excel at. Architecture, interiors, and landscape for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, PeterBoyadjian said:

I shot a birthday on Saturday with the 21 APO in rotation. What a nightmare, the room was blood red - red draped walls to the ceiling. I still bounce flashed and corrected skin tones in Lightroom. The step and shoot was small, I was like four or five feet away, so any 4 person lineups I had to use the 21. 

APO SL performance in a 21mm, how they did it not sure, but it's a keeper. 

 

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Looks like you nailed it! Tough shoot, and it's great to see the 21mm in action.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the 21 will continue to be selected by video or documentary cine photographers who use a S35 size sensor for a 30mm equiv.

my atomos raw recorder on the sl2-s works only with s35 crop.  
 

the DJI ronin 4D 6k in pro res raw works in s35 for 60 and much higher frame rates

so i do think the 21 will be sought after for these uses as well as full frame all over.  

Robb

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 10:36 AM, Sohail said:

It's a great lens but just judging by the pictures here and elsewhere (especially the first picture), it distorts (i.e. stretches the frame noticeably) about a third of the way in on either side. I think the 28 works better for these kinds of shots. It begs the question of what sort of shots the 21 excel at. Architecture, interiors, and landscape for sure.

I'm torn between the 21 and 28 to use with my 50 APO.  I see what you are with the stretching.  I don't shoot wide often, but like to have a wide lens with me when I travel for getting buildings in the background, etc. or group shots.

In the past the 28 on my Q camera wasn't wide enough (even though it's slightly wider than the APO 28).  With the SL3, there may be some merit to having the 21 for the wide FOV when needed, or when using perspective control which will ultimately end up reducing the field of view.  In a pinch the 21 can be used as a 30mm lens in APS-C mode with a 26Mp image (still higher resolution than the SL2-S).  If needed, I could frame really tight in APS-C and adjust the crop in post to get closer to a properly composed image without getting into the stretched areas of the images.  

Just thinking out loud here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 2/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, PeterBoyadjian said:

I shot a birthday on Saturday with the 21 APO in rotation. What a nightmare, the room was blood red - red draped walls to the ceiling. I still bounce flashed and corrected skin tones in Lightroom. The step and shoot was small, I was like four or five feet away, so any 4 person lineups I had to use the 21. 

APO SL performance in a 21mm, how they did it not sure, but it's a keeper. 

 

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wow.  Faces don't look distorted - most wide angles I've used distort faces.  I do expect distortion on the edges - you have to expect that. 

Nice shots!

Edited by cj3209
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...