New SL Ultra-Wide-Angle Lenses: 14-24mm Zoom and 21 mm Super-APO-Summicron

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica today introduces two new ultra-wide-angle lenses for the Leica SL system:

• Super-Vario-Elmarit-SL F2.8 14-24mm ASPH.
  • Super-APO-Summicron-SL F2 21mm ASPH.

Both lenses are available immediately from Leica retailers for €2,500 / $2,495 (Super-Vario-Elmarit-SL 1:2.8/14-24 ASPH) and €5,300 / $5,495 (Super-APO-Summicron-SL 1:2/21 ASPH.).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica expands the SL-System by two new ultra-wide-angle lenses:

Super-Vario-Elmarit-SL 14–24 f/2.8 ASPH. and Super-APO-Summicron-SL 21 f/2 ASPH.

Wetzlar, 19th October 2023. Leica Camera AG expands the powerful and mirrorless SL- System by two ultra-wide-angle lenses.

Super-Vario-Elmarit-SL 14–24 f/2.8 ASPH.

With the Super-Vario-Elmarit-SL 14–24 f/2.8 ASPH., Leica offers a focal length of 14 mm for the SL-System for the first time. With its consistently high aperture ratio of f/2.8 over the entire zoom range, impressive panoramas and videos of the highest quality and brilliance are created. The very wide diagonal viewing angle of up to 114 degrees leads to unavoidable distortions and aberrations in ultra wide-angle lenses, which are excellently compensated by the elaborate optical construction of the Super-Vario-Elmarit-SL 14–24 f/2.8 ASPH. Thus, subjects are sharp right into the corners at any aperture and focal length. Inside the new Vario lens, 18 lenses in 13 groups compensate for chromatic aberrations and three aspherical lenses ensure the best image and video quality. The focal length range of 14 to 24 mm makes this versatile ultra wide- angle zoom lens an excellent tool for numerous photographic applications: from architecture and interior shots to reportages close to the action right up to astro and landscape photography.

In the new zoom lens, unwanted stray light is prevented by a sophisticated multi-coating of the glass surfaces and a fixed metal lens hood. The latter also serves as a robust protection for the strongly curved front lens. The Super-Vario-Elmarit-SL 14–24 f/2.8 ASPH. is equipped with a special filter holder on the side of the bayonet mount. In combination with the Leica Vario- Elmarit-SL 24–70 f/2.8 ASPH., this new ultra wide-angle zoom lens covers a wide focal length range and ensures comparatively light luggage with full flexibility.

Super-APO-Summicron-SL 21 f/2 ASPH.

With the Super-APO-Summicron-SL 21 f/2 ASPH., Leica Camera AG simultaneously introduces the world’s first APO lens with a focal length of 21 mm. Hence, the high-performance wide- angle lens meets even the highest professional requirements and provides consistent sharpness right into the outer corners of the picture. This way, it becomes the latest family member of the APO-Summicron-SL lenses which stand for top performances in the optical field and impress with their fast, reliable Dual Synchro DriveTM autofocus. Just like the already available lenses with a focal length of 28, 35, 50, 75 or 90 mm, the Super-APO-Summicron-SL 21 f/2 ASPH. has the same compact dimensions with the same E67 filter diameter – despite the extreme viewing angle. This viewing angle of the Super-APO-Summicron-SL 21 f/2 ASPH. is predestined for the challenging use in landscape photography, indoors, during reportages, in the studio and in architectural photography. A closest focusing distance of only 21 cm also ensures effective detail shots while the big maximum aperture allows for additional creative possibilities due to the selective usage of sharpness and blur.

The 14 high-precision made lenses – three of them with an aspheric surface – are divided in 11 groups and contribute to the highest possible degree of image quality even with the aperture fully open. The apochromatic correction of the lens is unique to its focal length and once again proves the highest standards of the Leica engineers. Most of the used lens elements are therefore made of high-quality special glasses whose demanding processing needs the most innovative methods of manufacturing.

Both new lenses enhance not only the SL-System but also the ever-expanding portfolio of the L-Mount alliance with two outstanding ultra wide-angle lenses in order to capture pictures and videos in unique Leica quality.

The retail price of the Leica Super-Vario-Elmarit-SL 14–24 f/2.8 ASPH. will be €2,500.00 including VAT. The retail price of the Leica Super-APO-Summicron-SL 21 f/2 ASPH. will be €5,300.00 including VAT. Both lenses will be available globally at all Leica Stores, the Leica Online Store and authorized dealers starting now.

• Like 8

• LUF Admin changed the title to New SL Ultra-Wide-Angle Lenses: 14-24mm Zoom and 21 mm Super-APO-Summicron

I was expecting better.

Edited by sebben
  • Like 1

I know this is not a 1:1 comparison, but I'm wondering if I should replace my Voigtlander 15mm with the 14-24.  I know the f stops are different but on the SL2-S I'm not too concerned about that.  I would really only be utilizing the widest end of the zoom. The big question is if the image quality will be the same as the Voigtlander.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

I know this is not a 1:1 comparison, but I'm wondering if I should replace my Voigtlander 15mm with the 14-24.  I know the f stops are different but on the SL2-S I'm not too concerned about that.  I would really only be utilizing the widest end of the zoom. The big question is if the image quality will be the same as the Voigtlander.  

I had both and sold both. The Sigma will be better in all situations except sunstars. However, the Sigma is also bigger, bulkier, heavier. 
In the end I settled on the Sigma 16-28

Wonder if the Sigma Leica lenses have that annoying auto aperture flicker thing when taking video. 

RedDot forum has also done testing, Sigma Leica Lenses tend to be sharper. 

MTF on the 75APOSL isn't impressive as well. IMO it is the best lens ever made. 

Can't wait to try out the 21 APO, might just have to sell the Q3 to fund it. 

6 minutes ago, PeterBoyadjian said:

Wonder if the Sigma Leica lenses have that annoying auto aperture flicker thing when taking video. 

RedDot forum has also done testing, Sigma Leica Lenses tend to be sharper. 

MTF on the 75APOSL isn't impressive as well. IMO it is the best lens ever made. 

Can't wait to try out the 21 APO, might just have to sell the Q3 to fund it. 

Just jumping in to say I agree about the 75APOSL.  I picked it up because I found a great deal on one and it surprised me on so many levels - never really shot 75mm before.  Amazing lens.  Right now I carry the Q3 and the SL2-S with the APO-75 as my one bag, two camera setup.  

Edited by Dr. G
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

You could hardly find two lenses that are more different in size.

The Sigma 14-24 is great, but it's not a "walk around" lens.

I used it earlier this year for a star timelapse, and it is sharp edge-to-edge, wide open. You can't ask for much more, as far as sharpness is concerned. I'm sure that Leica's version will be just as good, and maybe even better if they requested some tweaks from Sigma.

The main issue with this lens, other than size, is that it can't use screw-in filters. There is a provision for gel filters at the rear. I have a ND kit made by Haida which works well. The fact that it uses rear filters means that grads, polarizers, and some other types of effect filters are either very difficult to use, or incompatible.

2 hours ago, sebben said:

I was expecting better.

@sebben Thanks for posting these charts.  Mtf is the first thing I look at for lens choices, it's a great tool.  It's surprising to see the 21/3.4 has less astigmatism than the new SL.  

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

The main issue with this lens, other than size, is that it can't use screw-in filters. There is a provision for gel filters at the rear. I have a ND kit made by Haida which works well. The fact that it uses rear filters means that grads, polarizers, and some other types of effect filters are either very difficult to use, or incompatible.

In case it’s useful, NiSi has a special filter holder designed for this lens, but it’s 500€

https://nisiopticsusa.com/product/nisi-s6-150mm-filter-holder-kit-with-pro-cpl-for-sigma-14-24mm-f-2-8-dg-dn-art-sony-e-and-leica-l/

Edited by Simone_DF

I just pre-ordered the SL 14-24 at Leica Miami. Based upon my own experience with the SL 24-70 and the spectacular reviews of the Sigma 14-24 DG DN Art, this lens will be a fine Leica L mount addition.

I'll be in Paris next March and with my silver SL2 plan to use the 14-24/2.8, often wide open, for interiors of the Palais Garnier, Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle, and Musée de l'Orangerie.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Calling all Leica etymologists: what makes this 21mm Super, and not just a plain vanilla Apo-Summicron? 

I thinks super just refers to ultra wide, 21 mm or wider.  There's probably some more meaning/nuance I'm missing, but I think all their super lenses have been wide.

• Like 5

I hope the Red Dot Forum folks will test the new zoom against the Sigma like they did on their previous videos.  For sure they're Leica fans and sell Leica for a living, but the proof is in the raw files they compare with, and the casing / hood was different too previously.

• Like 1