New SL Ultra-Wide-Angle Lenses: 14-24mm Zoom and 21 mm Super-APO-Summicron

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/19/2023 at 8:19 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Picked up both lenses this morning. No opinions yet except that the 21mm focuses down to about 10cm........

Gordon

So good to see the 21 finally available. Checking the spec sheet, it is still showing the weight, with and without the lens hood, as 789/1208 g. The lens is heavy enough, but the hood…….I really want this lens but the 419g hood is giving me second thoughts!  😆 Wondering if you could confirm the weight  Thanks 😂

3 hours ago, Virob said:

So good to see the 21 finally available. Checking the spec sheet, it is still showing the weight, with and without the lens hood, as 789/1208 g. The lens is heavy enough, but the hood…….I really want this lens but the 419g hood is giving me second thoughts!  😆 Wondering if you could confirm the weight  Thanks 😂

Leica's specs say 789/839 g (without and with hood).

On 10/20/2023 at 8:43 AM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Wouldn't mind a 180mm f2.8 and then my set would be complete.....

Yep if that could be true, great, and while they are on it, please make a 135mm f/2 as well.

Would it be a good idea to seperate this discussion, someone is interested in this 21mm and others like me about 14-24?

I'm only interested if 14-24 flare resistant has improved, I use Sigma almost daily and it's the only downside, well not able to use filters is another. I solved it by buing a Pana 14-28 and put circular filter on it, it's the same price than to buy some clunky filter system to Sigma.

On 10/20/2023 at 3:35 PM, Eclectic Man said:

My 21mm f/4 R lens is a 'Super-Angulon', so I suspect you are right that it is the focal length that gets the 'Super' appellation.

Any Super Angulon or Curtagon appellation is a Schneider lens design. Super angulons are mostly used on large format cameras, but occasionally also on smaller formats. It is a similar lens design to a biogon. They usually have very large coverage, good edge to edge performance and low distortion. Not ideal for digital as they are largely a symmetrical design. 
Leica has a long history of adding “super” to their very wide angle lenses. Lots in the R mount, for example. It just means very wide in their parlance. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 2