Total brain freeze M10-P

xveruskax

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Purchased a used M10-P in near mint condition that’s worked perfectly for a while now. Occasionally the shutter gets stuck but it works fine thereafter. I’ve heard that can be an issue. 

Today however had a total crazy and terrifying thing happen. I have been shooting with a Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM lens using an adapter, although I doubt that factors into this. Upon turning on camera, the screen started to flicker colors and then would not respond. I had to take battery out, switch the battery with another, take the SD card in and out. Didn’t seem to help. I finally switched the lens to my 35mm Summilux and it started up and I could shoot again. 

I’ve read that the symptoms presented ultimate can result in the need for service and a control board replacement even but the fact that it worked fine with a Leica lens was interesting or perhaps just pure coincidence. 

Besides recommending service checkup, any other thoughts? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

18 minutes ago, frame-it said:

and which LTM Adapter are you using? the canon lens is obviously uncoded..that could also cause the camera to go into a lens detect "loop" and crash.

Was using a Light Lab Lens 50-75mm adapter. The camera was at first response with the 35mm Lux but now it’s doing it again. Freezes up and the camera isn’t even reading the lens because changing f-stop in lens doesn’t register in the internal metering. The screen freezes immediately after turning camera on. 

Never heard of lens loop crash. What would I do to uncrash it to see if it was just that alone. 

Your LTM adapter does not have a full outer circle, is it cut below over one third of the ring bottom part so the 6-bit sensor is somewhat exposed. Many LTM adapters have a flange cutout that leaves the 6-bit code reader uncovered. That could confuse the camera properly. Usually just a "no lens connected" message is displayed, but it *could* cause the camera to lose it.

Try:

- Different card

- Shooting without this adapter, with your Summilux, and do a big round of image taking.

Could be the card, if shooting with Summilux and a new card is OK could be the LTM adapter (buy one that hass FULL outer edges so the 6-bit light sensor on the mount is not confused), if the camera fails on both of these it is the board.

Edited by Al Brown

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Your LTM adapter does not have a full outer circle, is it cut below over one third of the ring bottom part so the 6-bit sensor is somewhat exposed. Many LTM adapters have a flange cutout that leaves the 6-bit code reader uncovered. That could confuse the camera properly. Usually just a "no lens connected" message is displayed, but it *could* cause the camera to lose it.

Try:

- Different card

- Shooting without this adapter, with your Summilux, and do a big round of image taking.

Could be the card, if shooting with Summilux and a new card is OK could be the LTM adapter (buy one that hass FULL outer edges so the 6-bit light sensor on the mount is not confused), if the camera fails on both of these it is the board.

I talked to Leica SF which is local store and they advised trying a newer "faster" card so I'll do that. I only bought the camera from an online camera store like two months ago so it's still under their 6 month warranty for all used items. It was in Like Mint condition and seemed perfect until now. If the new (formatted on computer) card does not register an improvement, I can send it back to the place I bought it under warranty. MPB, where I bought it from, said they would try an in-house repair (when possible) or ship it off for Leica repair if need be. However, depending on issue they could either offer a comparable replacement (again under warranty) or a refund. I know anything with electronics can fail and it may ultimately end up being the control board.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What firmware version is in the M10-P ?

As the M10-P is a 2020 era camera, try to chose a new SD card from the 2018 to 2020 years, and not the latest 2023 period.  Hardware compatibility is extremely important with any IT technology.

Edited by dugby
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, dugby said:

What firmware version is in the M10-P ?

As the M10-P is a 2020 era camera, try to chose a new SD card from the 2018 to 2020 years, and not the latest 2023 period.  Hardware compatibility is extremely important with any IT technology.

I managed to get back into the menu once during the several attempts to troubleshoot and I didn't think to check firmware but I did update it back in June when I bought it to the current one at that time. Leica Store recommended faster card so I'll be trying that for now. I was shooting a 200 speed 128gb card so I'll be trying a 280 speed. I doubt it will make any difference given the glitching.

4 minutes ago, xveruskax said:

I managed to get back into the menu once during the several attempts to troubleshoot and I didn't think to check firmware but I did update it back in June when I bought it to the current one at that time. Leica Store recommended faster card so I'll be trying that for now. I was shooting a 200 speed 128gb card so I'll be trying a 280 speed. I doubt it will make any difference given the glitching.

as @Al Brown said, first remove that adapter

then use only the 35mm M lens for a few hours or half a day and see if all is fine

if its still messed up, then decide if you wanna return it or send it to Leica

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, frame-it said:

as @Al Brown said, first remove that adapter

then use only the 35mm M lens for a few hours or half a day and see if all is fine

if its still messed up, then decide if you wanna return it or send it to Leica

Returned it by end of day to see if they can repair it I get a refund. Using 35mm Lux or 50mm Lux did nothing. Screen would usually not load or just show mostly purple rows while glitching. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by xveruskax

3 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Get the refund. Third party repairers can't do electronics, sensors, etc on M digital bodies. And if it goes off to Leica, it will take months (I know, my M10-R is there for unresponsive back buttons when it gets over 75 degrees F outside). 

Their policy is to attempt "repair" but if it does need to get shipped off to Leica, knowing that will take months, they will factor that in and ask if that's worth waiting on my part. I cannot get a refund until they assess the camera's issue and I just shipped it off yesterday. Optimistically they determine that it requires complete overhaul in the next couple of weeks and issue a refund. They don't have Leica M10-Ps in stock now so they can't offer a comparable replacement.

4 hours ago, xveruskax said:

Their policy is to attempt "repair" but if it does need to get shipped off to Leica, knowing that will take months, they will factor that in and ask if that's worth waiting on my part. I cannot get a refund until they assess the camera's issue and I just shipped it off yesterday. Optimistically they determine that it requires complete overhaul in the next couple of weeks and issue a refund. They don't have Leica M10-Ps in stock now so they can't offer a comparable replacement.

Exactly why I buy elsewhere.

Jeff

• Like 1