M11 mono

Harout62

5 hours ago, algrove said:

I will only get it if the base ISO is 125.

That is likely. Base ISO 50/100 on Q2 and base ISO 100/200 on Q2M. The base ISO will likely be higher than with M11, but maybe only half a stop, as in M10-R vs. M11.

2 hours ago, trickness said:

After watching this video, I wish lots of luck to any early adopters of the M11M

Reminds me of the old motivational saying, "The only common thing in all your failed relationships is you."

That's not to say it's his fault – it's clearly not. But something about his use case (settings, SD cards, etc.) is not working well with even the most current firmware and will not work until there is another update. An exchange will just be an exercise in futility.

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Reminds me of the old motivational saying, "The only common thing in all your failed relationships is you."

That's not to say it's his fault – it's clearly not. But something about his use case (settings, SD cards, etc.) is not working well with even the most current firmware and will not work until there is another update. An exchange will just be an exercise in futility.

That could be.

It sounds like sticking with basic settings is the way to go with the M11.

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

That could be.

It sounds like sticking with basic settings is the way to go with the M11.

Hard to say, but perhaps, yes. Being a professional, he likely has a lot of customizations, perhaps even some pre-1.6.1 user profiles that need to be rebuilt.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hdmesa said:

I think his “use case” is that he bought the M11. He is far from the only guy who has had multiple cameras fail. Even Hugh Brownstone had his M11 tank and there are plenty of users here who have had issues. 

Perhaps there is some kind of design or manufacturing flaw with the hybrid shutter - you certainly can’t blame that on SD cards or firmware. 

Is there anybody in the history of the M 10 variant production who had FOUR bodies fail?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Hard to say, but perhaps, yes. Being a professional, he likely has a lot of customizations, perhaps even some pre-1.6.1 user profiles that need to be rebuilt.

I watched his videos, and the shutter not opening is not an option you can set in profiles. but be it the 4th camera speaks to his negative energy. maybe all do 3rd party flashes he is using are messing with electronics.

If it is a defect in the camera it is a bummer, knock on wood I have been using it daily for a year, and still give me amazing results.

15k images in 2-3 months are not too much as a professional, some months I will do much more in one month! what I don't understand is how he can have only one camera as a professional? ( that is what he stated in his videos) and then he runs to Leica NJ to ask for a new one, they are probably tired of seeing him every few months.

In any case, I tend to bring every piece of equipment with a backup. Professional is to have backups if something fails.

• Like 2

Not sure if M11 is any worse, but to be honest, I've had more new Ms fail than used ones.

Seems to be some sort of breaking in period.

I was on waitlist for M240 & M10M and both had shutter defects in first year.

I bought all my other Ms used - M8, M10, M10R.. and knock on wood I've not had failures.

Only other issue was a dead M8 charger and M10 RF sporadic coupling issue.

Nor did I ever have failures on my myriad used film M bodies over the years - M2, M3, M5, M6 (twice), M7..

On the other hand you can look at it and say I've had 2 Ms fail in 20 years, across 10+ bodies.

Though that means I had more issues with more recent bodies, and 2 of my 3 M10 variants had problems!

Edited by steveBK
  • Like 1

Good point about having 2 bodies as a pro. Heck I use 2 bodies just so I have different FL readily available.  He did not state he started with a fully charged battery and perhaps had a backup battery since Lithium batteries take some time to gain optimum charge levels so I hear. Sad to see nonetheless.

Edited by algrove

I've been shooting with a Q2 for the past two years, and I love it. I've owned lots of camera brands over the years, and the Q2 is my first experience with Leica. When the M11 was introduced, I fully expected to buy one, which would have entailed buying some lenses too. But I've been following posts and watching videos about the various issues that users have experienced and I finally decided that I'm not willing to invest that much money in a camera system that might give me heartburn. I'll reserve pepperoni pizza for that.

I know that many people haven't experienced any significant problems that would require sending the camera in for repair or replacement, and I'm happy that they get to enjoy shooting with their copy. I'll continue to follow M11 posts to see whether the more serious issues become less prevalent on the forum. If that happens, I may reconsider my decision.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parallax said:

I've been shooting with a Q2 for the past two years, and I love it. I've owned lots of camera brands over the years, and the Q2 is my first experience with Leica. When the M11 was introduced, I fully expected to buy one, which would have entailed buying some lenses too. But I've been following posts and watching videos about the various issues that users have experienced and I finally decided that I'm not willing to invest that much money in a camera system that might give me heartburn. I'll reserve pepperoni pizza for that.

I know that many people haven't experienced any significant problems that would require sending the camera in for repair or replacement, and I'm happy that they get to enjoy shooting with their copy. I'll continue to follow M11 posts to see whether the more serious issues become less prevalent on the forum. If that happens, I may reconsider my decision.

The Q and SL cameras I’ve had over the years have been very solid, as have previous M10 variants. It’a been suggested that the M11 firmware may have been a full re-write, so there are likely to be issues, especially with the new shutter behavior required for full-time off-sensor metering.

5 hours ago, trickness said:

I think his “use case” is that he bought the M11. He is far from the only guy who has had multiple cameras fail. Even Hugh Brownstone had his M11 tank and there are plenty of users here who have had issues. 

Perhaps there is some kind of design or manufacturing flaw with the hybrid shutter - you certainly can’t blame that on SD cards or firmware. 

Is there anybody in the history of the M 10 variant production who had FOUR bodies fail?

It will be interesting to see if issues continue over to the M11M, indicating continuing firmware glitches. If not, and the M11M is flawless, then the blame for some of these M11 brick-level freezes are likely related to some sort of hardware problems specific to the M11.