Firmware 1.110 available on www.leica-camera.de

ArtZ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

About the M8 VS 5D test was not about noise. And when noise suppression was used both where almost similar at 1250iso. Different lighting setups and my cousin picked an f4 file from his setup, and I let him choose his lens best aperture, and we compared our shots.

The M8 won. Both files: ISO 160 / F4 / 1/25sec

Printed as A4 on an EPSON Stylus Pro 3800 printer.

You mentioned in an earlier reply that you were doing the comparison test (yesterday I think). Is there a thread or post with the results of your comparisons? Thanks.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

{snipped}

The Canon 50mm F1.4 is regarded as one of the best Canon lenses. For many years it was the only good Canon 50mm., there was no L. I have had the Canon EF 50mm F1.0 L, and talking about poor lenses here we have one of the winners... The current 50mm L lens is better than the f1.4, but we did not have this lens to compare.

If you suspect the Current 50mm F1.8 MK2 to better, then you are wrong. :D

Well, let's just say opinion is strongly divided on this :) The photo,net crew think the 1.4 is great; many pros I know almost universally hate it. And interestingly enough, the 1.8Mk2 is just a stronger performer for the dollar IMO.

Check this. Mouse over to see the 50 1.8m2:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens Review

Check the bottom box to see the abberations and mis-focus on the 50 1.4. They're both terrible, but I know which one I'd rather have :)

So I'll stand by my assertion that the 50 1.4 is an embarrassment. It is almost completely responsible for me putting Leica glass on my Canons! Now I have what? Four 50mm Leicas? LOL!!

So a better comparison would be the 35 Lux and a 50 cron with an adapter on the EOS shot at f4. Then you might be closer to comparing cameras...

OR shoot the 24 Elmarit at f4 and the 35 1.4L (a great lens) on the 5d and compare. But stay away from that Canon 50 1.4, IMO. I've never seen worse results from a brand-name lens (and I went through three of them in rapid succession).

But I understand about apples and apples anyway--this is all in good fun and wayyy off topic :)

When I got an EOS to R adaptor - I was using a Canon 300D (digital rebel in the US) - I took a few comparison shots between a 50mm Summicron, 50mm f1.8 Canon, and the 18-55mm kit lens.

Between the 3, as expected the kit lens was not in the same league as the other two, but the Canon and Leica 50s were surprisingly close to one another. The Leica was better, but the Canon was pretty good for such a cheap lens.

Mind you, after saying that, the Canon 50mm cost me around £80 new in the UK, and the 50mm Summicron about £110 off eBay, so the price difference wasn't that great.

{snipped}Mind you, after saying that, the Canon 50mm cost me around £80 new in the UK, and the 50mm Summicron about £110 off eBay, so the price difference wasn't that great.

Steve--now we're reminiscing about this, my first Leica lens for my Canon was a 1970s Canadian 50 'cron from eBay that also cost me $150 CAD.

In terms of sharpness and shooting in good light, you're right; they're close.

But in marginal light, the difference was enormous; the Leica's lack of abberations, the glare control, and macro and microcontrast--man, does that old cron make some nice BW pix :)

And the old 'cron, which I still use, absolutely and totally and completely smoked my last 50 1.4 throughout its range and in all conditions.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, let's just say opinion is strongly divided on this :) The photo,net crew think the 1.4 is great; many pros I know almost universally hate it. And interestingly enough, the 1.8Mk2 is just a stronger performer for the dollar IMO.

Check this. Mouse over to see the 50 1.8m2:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens Review

Check the bottom box to see the abberations and mis-focus on the 50 1.4. They're both terrible, but I know which one I'd rather have :)

So I'll stand by my assertion that the 50 1.4 is an embarrassment. It is almost completely responsible for me putting Leica glass on my Canons! Now I have what? Four 50mm Leicas? LOL!!

So a better comparison would be the 35 Lux and a 50 cron with an adapter on the EOS shot at f4. Then you might be closer to comparing cameras...

OR shoot the 24 Elmarit at f4 and the 35 1.4L (a great lens) on the 5d and compare. But stay away from that Canon 50 1.4, IMO. I've never seen worse results from a brand-name lens (and I went through three of them in rapid succession).

But I understand about apples and apples anyway--this is all in good fun and wayyy off topic :)

Jamie, I think you somewhat misunderstood me,

The test was about Canon VS Leica. We all know Leica glass is superiour to Canon glas.

If testing a Canon camera with canon glass VS a Leica camera with leica glass is not fair, then what is? It like saying the BMW test VS Merc is not accurate cause the BMW was run on Michelin and Merc on Bridgestone tires.

Simply, most Canonist buy their EOS system to only use fully compatible lenses with it. Not many would buy a 5D an R-adapter and some Leica glass. You and I could do it in the absence of a Leica Digital R.

And saying my lens is superiour to Canon is not important, you can't jundge the Camera without it's glass. The 5D could perhaps have been a bit better with the 50mm 1.8, and certainly with the 1,2L, but in this case, the lens would have been more stopped down at say F2 than my Lux 1.4. So we wanted to use lenses with the similare max aperture. He would have had some L zooms, but here maxaperture was wrong, and so was the zoom factor vs fixed.

I had the 50mm 1,4 too when I still had Canons, it's good after F2.8, but wide open, where I used it the most, it was VERY dissapointing. Barrel effect is also visible on all apertures.

Cheers!

And sorry for hi-jacking this thread :D

You mentioned in an earlier reply that you were doing the comparison test (yesterday I think). Is there a thread or post with the results of your comparisons? Thanks.

I haven't decided yet. Maybe, I'm doing too much physical training at the moment so I don't think I have the energy to defend my test... :D :D :D

I've done the 5D with 50 f1.4 compared to the M8 with 35 Lux ASPH as well. There is no point in using the Canon lens for critical work at f1.4---the center is soft, and the corners are actually blurry. Stopping down it improves rapidly until f4, which I think is the lens' first aperture suited for fine work. After that, it still gets a little better---mine is beautiful at f5.6 and especially f8, tack sharp and sparkling from corner to corner.

But I have to agree the lens is ultimately a failure---why buy an f1.4 lens to shoot at f8?

Until later,

--clyde

Jamie, I think you somewhat misunderstood me,

The test was about Canon VS Leica. We all know Leica glass is superiour to Canon glas.

If testing a Canon camera with canon glass VS a Leica camera with leica glass is not fair, then what is? It like saying the BMW test VS Merc is not accurate cause the BMW was run on Michelin and Merc on Bridgestone tires.

Simply, most Canonist buy their EOS system to only use fully compatible lenses with it. Not many would buy a 5D an R-adapter and some Leica glass. You and I could do it in the absence of a Leica Digital R.

And saying my lens is superiour to Canon is not important, you can't jundge the Camera without it's glass.

Well, I think we're misunderstanding each other then. Comparing cameras means you want some kind of semi-equivalent glass.

So I think my analogy is that your test was more like comparing a Mercedes with an engine to people pushing a BMW. Both will eventually get you where you want to go, and in relatively the same comfort :)

But even if you want a "Canon system" to "Leica system" comparison, as I said, it would be more fair, IMO, to compare a 35 1,4L Canon stopped down with a 24 Elmarit ASPH at say 2.8 (where the 24 is no slouch at all). The 24 will be better in the corners with the crop.

Or, for a more precise comparison, use the 35 1.4L agains the 35 1.4 Lux and crop the 5d to match.

So all I'm saying is don't use one of Canon's worst normal primes (IMO) against one of the very best primes in the world (the 35 Lux ASPH!!) to compare the systems.

hi.

i have downloaded the update. it is unzipped. m8-1_1110.upd

but.

when I try to drag it to my card reader, it won't let me. i have never had this problem with updating the firmware before.

it says it can't be moved because the card reader cannot be modified.

i don't see where else I can drag it.

this is very unusual. i don't know what to do next. i have leopard too. but what does that have to do with it. looks like my download of the firmware is fine.

hi.

but.when I try to drag it to my card reader, it won't let me. i have never had this problem with updating the firmware before.

Same with me. Last time I upgraded I ended up buying a New card so I could copy the update over. I guess it's off to Radio Shak to get another card :rolleyes:

hi.

i have downloaded the update. it is unzipped. m8-1_1110.upd

but.

when I try to drag it to my card reader, it won't let me. i have never had this problem with updating the firmware before.

this is very unusual. i don't know what to do next. i have leopard too. but what does that have to do with it. looks like my download of the firmware is fine.

I know nothing about Mac's but could it be you have a dual card, SD & CF, reader and each one of those ports, the SD & CF slots, show up as a separate drive? That is the way it is on my Win XP computer.

You could also try the old Copy and Paste. Copy from your hard drive, highlight the drive letter of the SD card and paste to it.

Personally I've never liked Drag and Drop (I usually drop it someplace other then where I intending to).

I tried to update my camera, I have done it before with all my digital cameras with no problem at all.

When the update process begun in my M8, I got a prompt whether I want to upgrade into version 0.00000 or not. I decided to go on and answered yes despite the fact that I got the wrong version displayed. The upgrade started OK and I saw the progress bar proceeding to 100%. Suddenly, the screen turned black and it was stuck there for more than 5 minutes, until I decided to turn the switch to off. After that, I turned it on again but nothing happened. Even when I turned the switch to off, the red light remained on and I had to remove the battery in order to turn the camera off. When I turn on the switch again the same thing happens!!!!

Please, help if you have any ideas on what I should do!!!

Thank you!

Nikos

{snipped} After that, I turned it on again but nothing happened. Even when I turned the switch to off, the red light remained on and I had to remove the battery in order to turn the camera off. When I turn on the switch again the same thing happens!!!!

Please, help if you have any ideas on what I should do!!!

Thank you!

Nikos

Nikos--that doesn't sound very good.

It sounds like you had a corrupted copy of the firmware, which didn't install completely. This means you don't have a working copy in the camera.

Before taking this to a dealer (or sending it to Leica, which may be what you have to do), I'd try a couple of things...

First, I'd remove the battery and let it sit for 24 hours to drain any residual power. Then try to turn the M8 on again and see if it recovers.

If it doesn't, do you have a back-level firmware you know is good? I'd try to boot the camera with that older firmware on a well-known good card.

If that doesn't work, I'd contact the dealer.

There are two possibilities that I know of for why the firmware update showed version 0: either the file was not unzipped, or the file was not in the root directory. Either way, if the flashing went wrong, the camera will most likely need a trip to Solms. Try the suggestions first though.

Nikos--that doesn't sound very good.

It sounds like you had a corrupted copy of the firmware, which didn't install completely. This means you don't have a working copy in the camera.

Before taking this to a dealer (or sending it to Leica, which may be what you have to do), I'd try a couple of things...

First, I'd remove the battery and let it sit for 24 hours to drain any residual power. Then try to turn the M8 on again and see if it recovers.

If it doesn't, do you have a back-level firmware you know is good? I'd try to boot the camera with that older firmware on a well-known good card.

If that doesn't work, I'd contact the dealer.

Jamie and carstenw, thank you very much for your replies.

I am afraid I will have to send it back to Germany, but I will try what Jamie suggested first.

I have the 1.107 firmware and I will try to boot the camera with it after 24 hours.

carstenw the card was formated, the m8-1_1110.upd file was on the root directory and properly unzipped. I should stop when I saw the wrong firmware version :( Now, I am knocking my head on the wall :( This morning I decided not to update the firmware until next week, because I am leaving for a four days trip on Sunday, but this afternoon I said "what the hell" I have done it dozen of times in the past!!! Famous last words...

Now, the only camera I will have in my trip will be a Fuji F31d since I sold my 5D a couple of months ago... :(

Bad luck...

I just got back in town and loaded the new version. Before I loaded it I took some high ISO shots with 1.107 then took the same shots with 1.110. They are available for download from my iDisk public folder. See my post on the Dale Labs thread. My observations so far:

1. scroll wheel functions much better, maybe fixed, only time will tell

2. High ISO shots appear to be worse than before but I invite you to see for yourself rather than taking my word for it. The first 6 images in the folder were shot with 1.107 and the last 6 with 1.110 at 640, 1250 and 2500. All hand held auto WB with low tungsten light using Leica 28/2.8 ASPH at f2.8.

.Mac - iDisk