Your Most Beautiful Lovely Camera

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is the most beautiful camera(s) you loved?

I mean, the camera itself, irrelevant the picture it can take (that would likely depend on you, not the camera)

For me, it would be either Rollei 35s (or any variations along the line) or Kodak Retina iiic.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Ahh, your camera looks gorgeous and classic. What a fabulous collections.

For me, the Barnack type rangefinder camera that I love the most are: Nicca Type-5 and Sears Tower 45.

I'm still looking for a Leica Barnack black paint at the moment...

• Like 7

Lovely cameras!

I'm relieved that you have both posted two cameras each. Trying to narrow down to two was difficult enough but to decide which is the undisputed #1 would be nigh-on impossible.

Here would be my own nominations. The Nikon has been with me since c.1978 when I was still in my teens so, as you might imagine, we have shared a lot of memories over the years. The Leica, by contrast, has only been here since mid-2020 so there's much for us both still to do! Incidentally both are currently loaded...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 9

A wartime "stepper" IIIc converted to a IIIf BD. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

What is the most beautiful camera(s) you loved?

I mean, the camera itself, irrelevant the picture it can take (that would likely depend on you, not the camera)

For me, it would be either Rollei 35s (or any variations along the line) or Kodak Retina iiic.

Funny that you mention the Kodak Retina III
I have picked up this neglected Kodak Retina I (119 I think) 
It is not my most beautiful but it had a feeling about it that is special.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, dpitt said:

Funny that you mention the Kodak Retina III
I have picked up this neglected Kodak Retina I (119 I think) 
It is not my most beautiful but if had a feeling about it that is special.

I have one of those that was may fathers camera, and surprisingly it's in much better condition than yours! If the lens is clear the images are bitingly sharp although I doubt it's worth getting it restored or having a CLA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

I have one of those that was may fathers camera, and surprisingly it's in much better condition than yours! If the lens is clear the images are bitingly sharp although I doubt it's worth getting it restored or having a CLA.

I assume you might have the lens fully cleaned for less than $100. It might well worth. 

My Linhof Studienkamera 70 (hence my forum name). The camera is from 1970 and came to me in 2000. I still use it occasionally to produce 6x7 ("Idealformat") slides.

• Like 10

16 hours ago, 250swb said:

I would love to see a picture of yours. I found this one on a garage sale, it was like this and unusable, but still I could not leave it there :)

I did not even know what it was when I bought it. Never heard about Kodak Retina before

Edited by dpitt

Kodak Retina is a series of interchangeable lens camera. The early models are foldable range finder. Later models evolved into non foldable range finder and then SLR. It’s interchangeable lenses are a bit weird to me. Only the front elements are changed, the back element is fixed on camera. The available lenses including 35mm, 50mm, and 80mm, where as 50mm is the standard. The 35mm and 80mm are too large to close the folding cover.

I like it particularly for its foldable. It makes it very compact to carry. Besides, the bellow is very reliable, almost light leak proof, unlike the fabric bellow. its lens is not inferior to Leica at that time. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Like 7

On 2/14/2023 at 1:06 AM, Einst_Stein said:

I assume you might have the lens fully cleaned for less than $100. It might well worth. 

Unfortunately I think this one will be lost for humanity. The bellows have come loose and need replacing. The mechanism inside will need some work too. It was just an impulse buy and I like the feeling in my hand. It is by far the cheapest camera I have at 5 Euro( if i remember correctly). Usually, I am only interested in Leica gear because I want to keep my collection confined somehow. It is hard. Over the years a lot of contamination have crept in. Minolta, Zeiss, Contax, Nikon, Bronica, Kodak, Minox, Olympus, Lumix .... 

There are a lot of jewels out there and most of them are much worse of compared to Leica contemporary items. Sometimes because they were not good to begin with. Sometimes just because they are not as collectible as Leica.

Make sense. There are so many beautiful cameras worth to collect. 
In fact, I think Leica is the least to collect unless your goal is for everyday photography since they are all super expensive. There are many old excellent cameras both pretty and taking excellent picture but not known to average people. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Make sense. There are so many beautiful cameras worth to collect. 
In fact, I think Leica is the least to collect unless your goal is for everyday photography since they are all super expensive. There are many old excellent cameras both pretty and taking excellent picture but not known to average people. 

You got the gist of what I meant to say although you use the word collectible in exactly the opposite way. To some collectors something is only a collectible when it is unique or rare in some way, that means expensive too most of the times. Its like collecting postage stamps, the most 'collectible' items are the really old ones, mostly plain design but with some printing fault... It is not my view on things, I still think a camera gets its worth by the quality of pictures it can make, not by its box, brand name, cosmetic state, rarity etc.

These are my most beautiful cameras and always have film in them. The black one usually also wears a UV filter because it goes in and out of a bag and a lens cap is a pain to operate with a lens hood. I can wind on and trip the shutter with one hand only. When you wind on it gives a smooth zeep noise and you feel ready for business. It gets out of the way.

The silver one is my most demanding camera. It's pretty as a picture but is an attention hound. People are always excited to see it and come over to have a chat. 

• Like 6

On 2/14/2023 at 1:18 PM, dpitt said:

I would love to see a picture of yours. I found this one on a garage sale, it was like this and unusable, but still I could not leave it there :)

I did not even know what it was when I bought it. Never heard about Kodak Retina before

Here you are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1