swap the Summilux SL50 for a Summicron SL50

RBB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL2 + 50 Summicron SL
Since we're doing cat photos in this thread :) 

The Summilux can't get this close.

• Like 9

oke, the last cat today, inspired by Sohail

SL2, 50mm summicron f/2

• Like 6

It is truly helpful understanding lens performance by reading what another sees in the image and what makes it special to them. 

It's tough knowing how a lens will fit into your life. 

The close up images using the cron are interesting.  I know a lot of pro food shooters and they swear by the sl50cron for close up food images as their core money makers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, but 75mm Apo-summicron-sl also works for cats ;)

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 50mm SL APO Summicron is so sharp and aberration free even in the close range that I use it confidently in artwork reproduction and camera based scanning, as it is equally sharp in that range to the 120mm APO Macro Summarit S, which is one of the best lenses of all time. I photographed an entire artist book cover to cover to be printed as a facsimile edition for New Directions press with the 50mm. The APO Summicrons are remarkable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That sounds exciting. Food photography with 50mm. I've been doing food photography for many years. Often with e.g. 24-70.(Canon or Nikon) I would like to try SL50 or SL 75 for it on a SL2.(To raise the quality IQ) Do you have link to website where SL50/75 is used ? Food or other.

• Like 1

the 50mm Summicron is also good for cat photography 😃 this is Pippa and she's really quite friendly despite the menacing look!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

That sounds exciting. Food photography with 50mm. I've been doing food photography for many years. Often with e.g. 24-70.(Canon or Nikon) I would like to try SL50 or SL 75 for it on a SL2.(To raise the quality IQ) Do you have link to website where SL50/75 is used ? Food or other.

I cannot really find many good photographs of the book, other than the cover, but this is a review of the book I "made" with the SL APO Summicron. Basically Anne Carson, the author and artist, dropped off the book with me, which was an art book containing drawings, pasted in text and even a torn off sticker on the cover. The brief was to reproduce the book as closely as possible for the facsimile edition -- every page, front and back cover and the spine etc. I used the camera because it had better color than the scanners I tried, and additionally, the ability to apply some directionality to the lighting allowed for the pasted in text and three dimensional aspects of the book to stick out a bit more from the page than they would with flat diffused lighting. The original photos obviously look a bit more vibrant than the resultant final edition (the paper they used was also a bit warmer than the artist paper in the original sketchbook). In any case, I found the 50mm Summicron worked perfectly here even in the multishot mode. The 50mm focal length also enabled a wider depth of field at the optimum aperture and gave a better working distance than a 120mm. If nothing else it cut down on the standing up after every shot to fiddle with the camera settings or page turning. I don't feel comfortable of sharing the original pictures here as they were for the client, but pictures of the final result are below.

Some reviews with pictures are here...not sure what they will show of the lens though at this scale:

https://www.poetrynw.org/anne-carson-h-of-h-playbook/

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/anne-carson-punches-a-hole-through-greek-myth

And the publisher page: https://www.ndbooks.com/book/h-of-h-playbook/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm...  a $6,000 camera body, a $7,500 lens...  and we're taking photos of cats and posting them on the Internet.  Just another thread that proves that the Internet was invented to post photos of cats... and in this case... photos of cats taken with astronomically expensive photo equipment.*

*  This is said tongue-in-cheek folks.  It's supposed to be humorous.  I used to take snapshots of my dog with my Phase One XF and Leaf Credo back.🤣

Sir Winston on Flickr 

Edited by hepcat
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

https://www.instagram.com/_mediumraw/

https://www.jimsullivanphotography.com/

80% shot with sl50APO and SL2.   Some Q2 scattered in, especially for the cookbooks and some M10 for chef portraits.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 10:01 AM, hepcat said:

Hmmm...  a $6,000 camera body, a $7,500 lens...  and we're taking photos of cats and posting them on the Internet.  Just another thread that proves that the Internet was invented to post photos of cats... and in this case... photos of cats taken with astronomically expensive photo equipment.*

*  This is said tongue-in-cheek folks.  It's supposed to be humorous.  I used to take snapshots of my dog with my Phase One XF and Leaf Credo back.🤣

Sir Winston on Flickr 

Cat picture taken by French guy with his Leica.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2023 at 3:29 PM, Daniel C.1975 said:

Yes, but 75mm Apo-summicron-sl also works for cats ;)

That's my goto lens for feline portraiture...

• Like 4