swap the Summilux SL50 for a Summicron SL50

RBB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This weekend after a year of doubts, I made the decision to swap the Summilux SL 50 f/1.4 for a Summicron SL 50 f/2. I've been there before, but when I saw the photo's of the Summilux on the screen of my computer I thought again and again this lens will stay.  Reality is I never use it, autofocus is slow and the real problem for me is the minimum focus distance. Since a year I own the 75mm SL and this is an amazing lens, maybe one of the best I've ever had. My dealer had a good offer and today I swapt the lenses. Didn't have the chance to test the lens extensively, do it this weekend.

• Like 3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I've owned the 75 and 50 Summicrons. I have the 90. For me, the 50 Summilux is by far one of best lenses. It renders beautifully. Great for portraiture. The 50 Summicron was too clinical for my liking. Each to their own of course.

Edited by Sohail
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, LD_50 said:

How do you feel about the size, weight, handling l, speed difference so far? IQ will be tremendous from both lenses. 

Speed is on par with Summicron 75mm, faster than the Summilux, can't judge the IQ yet, took some shot's and they look promising. Given my experience with the 75mm I'm not to worried about that. Size was not the problem for me with the Summilux although this is much easier to carry off course. I like to shoot portraits close, so the minimum focus distance with the Summicron suits me better.

9 hours ago, Sohail said:

the 50 Summilux is by far one of best lenses

I agree, that's why it took a long time to take this decision. The experience with the Summicrom 75mm pulled me over the line.

• Like 1

SL2 & Summicron SL 50mm

• Like 8

I just put in an order for a 50 apo SL on Tuesday.  So it’s going to join my 35,75, and 90

I’d also be cool with adding the Lux but my mantra these days is all about traveling lighter and going for the top optics.  So I’m not sure if I would use it that often.

I also have the VM 50 1.0 which I think is very sharp and not too big (compared to others) so I’ve kind of got the lux covered on both ends…

enjoy the apo

Robb

• Like 1

SL2 + 50/1.4 SL
Took this an hour ago. Love this lens! For my tastes, forget the Summicron. :)

• Like 9

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Sohail:

SL2 + 50/1.4 SL
Took this an hour ago. Love this lens! For my tastes, forget the Summicron. :)

When the subject is close to the camera like in #9, the Summicron works just fine for shallow DOF. For depth rendering like in your picture, the Summilux is unbeatable. 

• Like 2

I agree that the Summilux is a special piece, that's why it took a long time to take this decision

SL2, Summilux SL

• Like 11

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Sohail:

It's a thing of beauty!

There is a three dimensional effect, visible in your picture, that the Summilux-SL creates in certain situations that is unmatched by any other lens. It’s not the Zeiss 3D-Pop-effect that is associated with the Otus lenses and that is usually used to describe the look of a very sharp, but often flat, object, against a blurry background. Thats‘s why I like to use the term depth rendering with the Summilux-SL. Looking at your image one feels that it’s possible to reach inside and grab the object.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaemono said:

There is a three dimensional effect, visible in your picture, that the Summilux-SL creates in certain situations that is unmatched by any other lens. It’s not the Zeiss 3D-Pop-effect that is associated with the Otus lenses and that is usually used to describe the look of a very sharp, but often flat, object, against a blurry background. Thats‘s why I like to use the term depth rendering with the Summilux-SL. Looking at your image one feels that it’s possible to reach inside and grab the object.

Interesting way of talking about the rendering. It's definitely got a unique signature look.

Another picture with the Summilux-SL and more reasons (for me) for never parting with it.

Edited by Sohail
  • Like 10

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Sohail:

Another picture with the Summilux-SL and more reasons (for me) for never parting with it.

Fantastic! The three dimensionality this lens creates in these images is amazing. 

Summicron, not bad either 😉, the 35 is the next one after some saving 🙃

SL2

• Like 6