RNI All Films 4 - Pro updated to support M11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really Nice Images have just updated their film sim package RNI All Films 4 - Pro, to support the M11 in PS/LR.

All Films 4 Pro has some of my favorite film sims, and they play really nicely with M11 RAW files.

Worth an update if you have RNI All Films 4 - Pro already - or a purchase if you're looking for a great selection of film SIMs.

Kodachrome example with M11 file for ref:

https://reallyniceimages.com/products/all-films-lightroom-pro.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I do not think that RNI Film Profiles a camera specific. I have been using RNI All Films 5 for quite a while without any issues. Do you have a link to RNI's post where they describe the update that added M11 support?

36 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I do not think that RNI Film Profiles a camera specific. I have been using RNI All Films 5 for quite a while without any issues. Do you have a link to RNI's post where they describe the update that added M11 support?

Saw it on their web on the “what’s new “ tab, 4.9 includes leica m11

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SrMi said:

I do not think that RNI Film Profiles a camera specific

They are camera-specific. All Films 4 comes with hundreds of megs of RNI's own camera profiles.

All Films 5 is profiled to cameras too but it's a smarter design. They merge adobe's raw profiling data with RNI's film profiling data under the hood so you always get the result profiled to your camera. Otherwise it would be a complete mess.

• Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was using the RNI 5 in capture one and had some color clipping and could not recover them. I suppose the profiles have been updated.

Maybe ALL Films 4 is the way to go in capture one so that I can just the setting.

V 5 does not work in Capture one for iPad, I would think that V 4 would work.

10 hours ago, SrMi said:

They are indeed - prior to this update you could not access the 4 Pro sims when processing an M11 RAW file in LR/ACR

Scroll down this page for the full list - https://reallyniceimages.com/products/all-films-lightroom-pro.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CDodkin said:

It is indeed - I prefer 4 TBH

Hmm, I already have too many profiles to play with :).

Are there any specific profiles in 4 that you prefer? Do the 4 profiles change the LrC sliders or do they leave them alone like in 5?

25 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Hmm, I already have too many profiles to play with :).

Are there any specific profiles in 4 that you prefer? Do the 4 profiles change the LrC sliders or do they leave them alone like in 5?

RNI 5 Pro is only a subset of 4 Pro - which they carefully avoid stating in their marketing, but admitted to me afterwards when I called them on it after 'upgrading' to 5 from 4.

Dear Chris,

Really sorry to hear about the issue.

Please note, at the moment RNI All Films 5 is not an All Films 4 in a new wrapper. It's a different tool with its own character and a different set of film simulations. 

We do our best to communicate that by listing all the included film stocks along with new features on the product page, available prior to purchase. And we apologise if this communication was not good enough and led to forming wrong expectations.

Regards
Mike

RNI Support

In B&W, 5 is missing PanF, Fomopan, Kodak T-Max, all of which I use heavily.

In Vintage, 5 has generic Kodachrome, which is a poor substitute for the decade specific Kodachrome recipes in 4.

5 is padded out with IR film profiles, which may be useful, but give the idea that the 5 pack has more film sims, when in fact it has less coverage or the main-stream films.

As a rule, I find 4 looks better than 5, despite the 'older' technology.

Yes, 4 does move the LC sliders with each film sim.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CDodkin said:

RNI 5 Pro is only a subset of 4 Pro

There may be some intersection indeed, but it also contains many emulsions that were not included and not possible in the 4 Pro.

For example, proper Technicolors and Aerochromes - one just can't recreate such looks with Lr sliders and curves without building the profiles of those films somewhere else.

Also, the other emulsions in the 5 Pro - Kodak Gold, Kodak Portra, Kodak Ektar, Fuji Superia, just to name a few, they look more sophisticated to my eye, with more film-like color separation and better skintones. Again, something that can't be achieved with Lr/ACR tools.

It is pretty much a matter of personal taste which package to use, they both work well on properly exposed images, but, I think, the difference between the two is literally what the reply says: "It's a different tool with its own character and a different set of film simulations"

Edited by oleg_l
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oleg_l said:

There may be some intersection indeed, but it also contains many emulsions that were not included and not possible in the 4 Pro.

For example, proper Technicolors and Aerochromes - one just can't recreate such looks with Lr sliders and curves without building the profiles of those films somewhere else.

Also, the other emulsions in the 5 Pro - Kodak Gold, Kodak Portra, Kodak Ektar, Fuji Superia, just to name a few, they look more sophisticated to my eye, with more film-like color separation and better skintones. Again, something that can't be achieved with Lr/ACR tools.

It is pretty much a matter of personal taste which package to use, they both work well on properly exposed images, but, I think, the difference between the two is literally what the reply says: "It's a different tool with its own character and a different set of film simulations"

Yes, even though 5 was sold as an upgrade from 4, you actually end up needing both (which I have) to cover the full set of film simulations. 5 has never gelled the same way as 4 for me. Maybe because I had extensive experience with 4 before 5 was released.