Your favorite film(s)

TheGodParticle/Hari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey folks,

Happy New Year! 

What are your current film stocks for color & bw? A few samples would be great to see why you like that particular film. 

Depending on the mood and subject, lately i've been shooting a mix of Portra 400, Portra 800, ADOX Color Mission 200, XP2 400, CineStill 50D, CineStill 800T, 400 TX, Delta 400, Kodak E100, Pan F Plus as well as ADOX CMS 20 II 

Edited by TheGodParticle/Hari
Portra 800 sounds a bit better than Porter 800 😅

I'm still dealing with a freezer stock of old films, including a couple of bulk rolls of Tri-X and Ilford Pan F+. Last week I rummaged thru the supplies and found several rolls of my old favorite B&W, Plus-x, shot one and was delighted. Havent touched the color rolls in years...doing my color work on digital these days.

• Like 2

Hi Hari

My most-used films are

Colour:

Portra 400 & 800

Kodak Gold 200

Cinestill 50D

B&W:

Tri-X 400

HP5 + (used interchangeably with Tri-X But I prefer Tri-X)

HP4 125

I don’t feel like these choices will win any contest for originality, however they enable a very consistent look.

I also really like Fuji superia premium 400 when I can get it, but as a Japan-only stock it is hard to source.  it’s not perfectly suited to my style (people) because it has very saturated reds, but I love it 

• Like 2

Very tricky Q harri! 
if you asked me couple of years ago, i have definite answer, portra and fuji superia for colour and Ilford HP5+ for BW

but now, i limit my portra for my hasselblad, while any consumer colour for my 135, be it fuji c200 which they no longer have, or rebranded good 200, superia xtra and ultramax, will be fine

thanks to price increase too, my Ilford probably sharing the shelf with fomapan, but Bw always in bulks

• Like 1

Portra 400 and Tri-X with my Hasselblads if I’m shooting hand-held, otherwise Ektar and Acros ii when using a tripod.

Ektar and Acros ii, TMax 100 or Delta 100 with my Fuji 6x9’s

Ektar, Delta 100 or Acros ii with my Fuji GX617

Foma 100 in 5x4 with my Ondu Pinhole camera

Tri-X, FP4+, Delta 100, Portra 400 & Ektar with my MP

FP4+ in my iiif

Delta 100 processed in DDX 1:4 exclusively with my ‘O’ Serie Oskar Barnack replica.  I’ve found it’s a combination that brings out the best in the fixed 50mm f3.5 anastigmat lens with a tonal rendering in the negatives that I like very much.

• Like 1

With colour, I made peace with digital since I have a camera profile that matches my expectations quite well. But B&W is all film. I mostly use 400 ASA film stocks because I shoot handheld, depending on the moment. After some testing, I ended up with Delta 400 for now as it delivers a wide DR, full speed in Xtol 1+1 with good sharpness and relatively moderate grain. But I'm not done yet, as I have fond memories of Kodak 5222 back in the day when I shot music videos. My guts tell me that 5222 has a great chance of becoming my default BW stock. I know its sharpness is superb, but I'm not sure whether I will like its grain in stills. And I have no idea if it likes Xtol.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 4:53 AM, hansvons said:

With colour, I made peace with digital since I have a camera profile that matches my expectations quite well. 

What profile are you using and with what camera?  I'm currently in my own existential crisis with color film, haha

3 hours ago, yeeper said:

What profile are you using and with what camera?  I'm currently in my own existential crisis with color film, haha

I created with 3DLUTCreator an ICC file for Capture One, incorporating a Rec709 LUT that mimics Kodak's print film 2383 for grading video, which will be printed on film for theatrical release. But before using the LUT, I stripped its colour information, as I wanted to retain the Leica SL2-S' colour. For that, I used Lattice. 

Edited by hansvons

Depending on the mood and the subject:

- Kodak Ektar 100 - portraits, rusty places, sometimes street;

- Kodak Gold 200 - places and people to which I’d like to give old school look

- Fuji Superia 400 TRI-X, most versatile film stock with super realistic colors

- Kodak Tri-X - when it comes to B&W, this is the film stock! Or Ilford Delta 100/400

- Fuji Provia 100 - my favorite slide film, it seems I’m switching to slide film for all

For everyday shooting, 400TX and HP5+. I say 400TX because I've used TX400 with the number 5063 on the edge of the film.

When I want some nice deep blacks and contrast then FP4+.

For lens tests I use T-Max 100.

For colour negatives I prefer Fuji because the skin tones are more accurate in my opinion over a wider range of skin colours. When I can get it, Fuji Superia X-Tra. The local shop only has Kodak so that's a pain but they still do same day turnaround so I can't complain. At Walkens you go onto a waiting list or you import from B&H.

For chromes I regret the demise of Sensia. I don't shoot much colour so it's only a tiny violin playing.