New Leica M6 Film Camera

5 hours ago, Jimmyp82 said:

I can't think they would keep the brass body though, drop that in favour of something else.

The body is not made of brass- but from a lightweight compound. Top and bottom are though. Leica has been experimenting for decades with replacing the material of those - including the dreaded Zinc.

• Thanks 1

Off topic, sorta, I think the Leica Stores should provide "white glove" film developing/printing services to encourage use of Leica (and other) film cameras.

Even if they don't do it themselves but ship it to a lab!  What the customer will get is a very nice hard box with the Leica logo on it, containing the 4x6 prints and negatives.  For $40.  Or $50.  Expensive?  Of course, but look at the service and packaging!  And it will encourage digital Leica users who frequent those shops to shoot film because it removes the 'where do I get it developed?" etc barrier.  Bring it back to us Sir, we will take care of it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lamefrog said:

Oh man, I refused Leica's invitation because I thought it was to test the SOFORT v2.

D@mmit, if they are just going to release a new SOFORT I am going to be, er, not surprised.  It is a film camera.  And it is cheap compared to an M.

Yup, that's it.  Leica is releasing a new Fuji Instax.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Huss said:

Off topic, sorta, I think the Leica Stores should provide "white glove" film developing/printing services to encourage use of Leica (and other) film cameras.

Even if they don't do it themselves but ship it to a lab!  What the customer will get is a very nice hard box with the Leica logo on it, containing the 4x6 prints and negatives.  For $40.  Or $50.  Expensive?  Of course, but look at the service and packaging!  And it will encourage digital Leica users who frequent those shops to shoot film because it removes the 'where do I get it developed?" etc barrier.  Bring it back to us Sir, we will take care of it!

Interesting idea. 

I don't know about the rest of the world but I'm not aware of any 'white glove' level developing labs in the US - at least I haven't found any yet and I've tried some of the ones that often come highly recommended.  For my $50, I'd expect more than a hard box with a Leica logo on it.  I 'd actually expect my negatives to be free from water spots, scratches and other inexplicable defects - I can produce those myself for a fraction of the price :) Of course most 'hybrid' shooters wouldn't care, they'd just clone that stuff out in Lightroom.

Edited by logan2z

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The body is not made of brass- but from a lightweight compound.

Gaston Glock revolutionized the firearms industry by proving polymers were capable of handling the stress. A polymer body M7?

Yes, I know the first was the H & K VP70.

Edited by madNbad

The few remaining camera companies all use a composite material around a titanium frame. Why not Leica? No dings or scuff marks, better weather sealing and a film camera would be an easy test bed to move the same construction to the digital bodies. This is the twenty first century and I love tradition butmaybe it's time for a big change.

Edited by madNbad
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Interesting idea. 

I don't know about the rest of the world but I'm not aware of any 'white glove' level developing labs in the US - at least I haven't found any yet and I've tried some of the ones that often come highly recommended.  For my $50, I'd expect more than a hard box with a Leica logo on it.  I 'd actually expect my negatives to be free from water spots, scratches and other inexplicable defects - I can produce those myself for a fraction of the price :) Of course most 'hybrid' shooters wouldn't care, they'd just clone that stuff out in Lightroom.

The "white glove" part is just the experience of using a Leica Store, and getting your pics back nicely packaged in a fancy box.  Not just stuffed into an envelope with the negs hanging in a flap.  At this point it is all about marketing, the feel of exclusivity, of being special.  Pretty much what Leica does.

I've observed in my visits to Leica Stores that customers are fascinated by the film cameras, and I think many would love to use them, but are scared away by the hassle - or even trying to find where - to get the film developed.  So stick w digital.  But if Leica offered this, that barrier would be removed.

Leica could even have a section by the "film counter" with pics of the famous Leica film photogs on the walls behind them.  And can even say "taken with an M3" etc.  Who wouldn't want to be part of that club?

:)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Huss said:

The "white glove" part is just the experience of using a Leica Store, and getting your pics back nicely packaged in a fancy box.  Not just stuffed into an envelope with the negs hanging in a flap.  At this point it is all about marketing, the feel of exclusivity, of being special.  Pretty much what Leica does.

I've observed in my visits to Leica Stores that customers are fascinated by the film cameras, and I think many would love to use them, but are scared away by the hassle - or even trying to find where - to get the film developed.  So stick w digital.  But if Leica offered this, that barrier would be removed.

Leica could even have a section by the "film counter" with pics of the famous Leica film photogs on the walls behind them.  And can even say "taken with an M3" etc.  Who wouldn't want to be part of that club?

:)

Sounds great in theory, and you've almost convinced me :)  I just wonder how many people have a Leica store close enough to them to make something like this practical.  And shipping a big, fancy box containing negatives back to a customer could add significantly to the cost.  Also, having to deal with annoyed customers when they find defects in their negatives could quickly make this less than palatable to a Leica store.

• Like 1

Oh man. After auditioning (and liking!) an M10-P, I've pretty much settled on a plan to stay film-only and buy an M3 to go with my M2.

Now I'm wondering if I should wait for the October announcement. Probably not—I can't imagine what they'd announce that would make more sense for me than an M3—but you never know....

59 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Sounds great in theory, and you've almost convinced me :)  I just wonder how many people have a Leica store close enough to them to make something like this practical.  And shipping a big, fancy box containing negatives back to a customer could add significantly to the cost.  Also, having to deal with annoyed customers when they find defects in their negatives could quickly make this less than palatable to a Leica store.

These are Leica owners, there is no such thing as a defect!  That is film patina!

• Haha 1

Dug up this little nugget from 2021 where Stefan Daniel says no chance of a new cheap Leica film camera. 

Originally posted by "Overrank"

Stephan Daniel, global director of the photo product division at Leica was interviewed in this Silvergrain Classics video that’s just come out - [MEDIA=youtube]CpGPDaaVwP4[/MEDIA]

He is very non-committal about a new film camera from Leica. He is specifically asked about a cheaper film camera, and possibly compacts.

He says that  “a budget M rangefinder is a used one” (around 1:01:30) which leads on to a discussion about the continued availability of servicing of (for example) M3s, M2s,  M4s because of the similarity to current models.

On compacts there’s some discussion about the cost of the tooling necessary to make such a thing, adding that Leica are aware of the increased demand and that they do get requests for a new Minilux, but again nothing really committal (more the opposite really).

Edited by Huss

19 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

It is 107% not going to be cheap.

Well, the SOFORT was $300.  A new SOFORT, $500?  Sure still expensive seeing it would be 5x the cost of the Instax it is based on.  But cheap for a film Leica!

7 hours ago, Huss said:

Frankly I don't understand why people are saying it would be great if they re-introduced the M6.  Leica themselves moved on and released the better MP.  The used market is flooded with M6s.  I now see them selling for $2500.  It's like saying Leica should re-introduce the M240.

Either way, I don't believe this rumour.  When Leica sells a 39mm lens cap for $45, who on earth thinks they will introduce an all new affordable film camera?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89433-REG/Leica_14038_39E_Lens_Cap_for.html

$2500 is the super low end for an M6 and the M6 TTL is like $3500+... you better believe Leica has taken notice.  It is not anywhere near the same thing as reintroducing a 10 year old digital camera.  Now, I do agree it will not be cheap whatever it is.  

1 hour ago, jsrockit said:

$2500 is the super low end for an M6 and the M6 TTL is like $3500+... you better believe Leica has taken notice. 

Yup, a reissue of m6 would make sense from the marketing perspective. For Leica, digital is all about performance and analogue is all about nostalgia. And never the two shall meet.

A customer is not supposed to be confused which one to get for what purpose. Thus, ideally, one has both; the first for actual use and the second for Sunday driving once a year.

For that reason, if there’s going to be a new film m, it’s hardly cheap nor practical.

Edited by jukka