New Leica M6 Film Camera

2 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

Was curious, took a look. Their scanning costs are some of the most ridiculous prices I have ever seen. “Premium high-res” scans for 120 film cost $10 a frame or $100 a roll if you’re shooting 6x7. Must be some real premium scanner they’re using for your scans right?

Nope. It’s an Epson V850. Wow.

For medium format, it's $10 to scan the whole roll, not a single frame. And $5 for a whole roll of 35mm.

https://thirdmanphotostudio.com/film-lab/

Reasonable prices for what you get, actually. No need to freak out here!

Edited by raizans

8 minutes ago, raizans said:

For medium format, it's $10 to scan the whole roll, not a single frame. And $5 for a whole roll of 35mm.

https://thirdmanphotostudio.com/film-lab/

Reasonable prices for what you get, actually. No need to freak out here!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Website states $10/frame for 120/220 on an Epson V850 though…

2 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

Website states $10/frame for 120/220 on an Epson V850 though…

Sorry, you're right. I latched onto the price for a whole roll and didn't look at the "premium" individual frame scan price for 120, which is still very reasonable for what you get.

A drum scan at Icon costs $40 per frame for medium format, for a 50MB file: https://www.iconla.com/product/film-scanning/?dic=crossfield

If you wanted to make a print and weren't too picky, $10 per frame is an affordable option, and that's coming from someone who is completely grossed out by the gentrification of film photography.

Edited by raizans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Given the choice between the simple, side hinged back of the FM2 or Leica’s baseplate and top hinge, I’d take the FM2 any day of the week.

Top hinge?

I have had the FM2 from new and I still use it and enjoy it. But I must say that just yesterday as I dropped a new roll into my MP while walking along, I thought just how easy and fast this is compared to the FM2.

I wouldn’t think a new body with aperture priority makes much sense as this rumour dates back to when the M7 was given the chop… or maybe that makes total sense. Who knows?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

It’d have to be one darling of a camera to supplant the Mamiya 7 as the king of MF rangefinders though. But if anyone could do it, Leica could

It would have to 'supplant' the current MP and M-A.

The Mamiya 7(ii) body that I used for work from '97-2004 was a plastic ergonomic idiosyncratic mess that needed occasional repairs.  The lenses, especially the 43mm and 50mm were almost a match for the best 35mm lenses at the time and that is the real strength of the Mamiya 7.  I replaced mine with a fixed lens Fuji GSW690iii, which I still have and still use and I've always preferred it's output from the comparable quality Fujinon EBC lens and larger frame size.  

Either way, I don't buy your comparison between a Mamiya 7 and a Leica M on any level but I also can't see what a presumably 'cheaper' new Leica M could offer beyond potential auto exposure over the MP or M-A or simply as a means of reducing Leica's manufacturing overheads.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Huss said:

What does that mean?

I, too, find the utterance "completely grossed out by the gentrification of film photography" interesting. Does it mean that film photography has become more respectable and thus more middle class? Or does it mean that film photography has become more middle class and thus more vulgar?

Given that I'm not a native English speaker, I'm a bit confused.

Personally I don't find that the more common film photography is the more gross it is. Sure, it's annoying that the prices of film bodies have risen, but then again there is more demand for film and labs. 

I repeat myself here, but for Leica there is basically two ways to deal with this "gentrification": they can either produce analogue models with more capabilities or continue fan service and reproduce retro stuff. 

The choice, as said, depends on how they view the future of camera markets. With the development of phone cameras, however, it may very well be that in the future digital bodies are more obsolete than analogue ones. 

Yeah, it seems wacky now, but this is basically what happened to CD’s contra vinyls in the record industry.

Edited by jukka

There is nothing 'cheap' going in film photography these days - if we expect Leica to come with a 'cheap' alternative it's delusional. Look at their digital side, their cheaper alternative it's an SL2-S...nothing cheap about that camera, as we know.

Considering film bodies have been skyrocketing in price.....followed by film (now even the 'expired' marked is expensive)....we know that IF they want to release a new body it will be an expensive piece.

A lot of people complains about the cost of film these days (I certainly am!) but the truth to the matter is film sells: Kodak color film (at their ridiculous price) it's often unavailable...same for Fujifilm....so as long as people pay the price nothing is going to change...

19 hours ago, colint544 said:

Here are two cameras for sale right now at Red Dot Cameras. One is brand new, the other is half a century old.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That’s because black M4’s were not made in large numbers and there is a collectors premium added.  You can get a very nice chrome M4 for less than £2k.   Try shopping for a factory black paint M3 if you want a shock.  Most likely around £30k!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, raizans said:

It's the same thing as the gentrification of thrifting for fashion.

Just say what you mean when you wrote :

completely grossed out by the gentrification of film photography

The dictionary definition of gentrification is:

The process whereby the character of a poor urban area is changed by wealthier people moving in, improving housing, and attracting new businesses, typically displacing current inhabitants in the process.
"an area undergoing rapid gentrification"
  • the process of making someone or something more refined, polite, or respectable.
    "soccer has undergone gentrification"
Edited by Huss

8 minutes ago, andrew01 said:

That’s because black M4’s were not made in large numbers and there is a collectors premium added.  You can get a very nice chrome M4 for less than £2k.   Try shopping for a factory black paint M3 if you want a shock.  Most likely around £30k!

Thanks for explaining that to me 👍

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera