How many L mount lens do you use/have?

DanielJr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 23.4.2022 um 18:36 schrieb DadDadDaddyo:

The lens I'm itching for the most is the Summicron-SL 90mm f/2. 90mm is a favorite focal length for me, ever since the olden days with the 90mm f/4 Elmar. which I have both in screw mount and in M mount.

I love this lens, it is my most used lens on the SL2. I also have a 35 Summicron SL and occasionally I use the APO-VARIO-ELMAR-TL 55-135 from my Leica CL. I sold the camera long ago and kept the tele zoom.

On 4/21/2022 at 5:37 AM, FrankX said:

Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN, Sigma 85/1.4 DG DN, Sigma 24-70/2.8 DG DN and Panasonic 50/1.8... Couldn't convince myself to buy a Leica SL lens so far.

BTW, with the Panasonic 50 the SL2 feels like a different camera regarding AF(C). Almost no wobbling in the EVF and very reliable. The Sigma lenses are optically fantastic but AF(C) is quite slow and unreliable - especially in low light. Not sure about Leica SL lenses. In the store, they seemed to be in-between Sigma and Panasonic, but at least very reliable.

Regarding image quality, I still have the impression that the Leica lenses are "somehow superior". But unfortunately, I didn't find any direct comparisons between Sigma and Leica lenses. And they are only f/2 which is not ideal for dark wedding environments either. 

I have the Sigma 35mm f2, which I compared to the Leica 35mm f2 APO Summicron (which I got later). They are not close in performance, at least wide open. The Sigma is much softer, additionally, it has significant chromatic aberration, mostly longitudinal CA, which is not correctable, at least as far as I am aware. I just got the Leica so I have not done a ton of tests yet, but the performance difference was quite a bit greater than what I suspected. The Sigma is a good lens and extremely usable, but in this case you get what you pay for. The performance wide open is very different. On the other hand, I also have the Sigma 24mm 3.5, and that lens was sharper than the 23mm TL lens as well as even the 21mm Super Elmar M, which I compared it to. Nothing I have seen from Sigma quite compare.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I have the Sigma 35mm f2, which I compared to the Leica 35mm f2 APO Summicron (which I got later). They are not close in performance, at least wide open. The Sigma is much softer, additionally, it has significant chromatic aberration, mostly longitudinal CA, which is not correctable, at least as far as I am aware. I just got the Leica so I have not done a ton of tests yet, but the performance difference was quite a bit greater than what I suspected. The Sigma is a good lens and extremely usable, but in this case you get what you pay for. The performance wide open is very different. On the other hand, I also have the Sigma 24mm 3.5, and that lens was sharper than the 23mm TL lens as well as even the 21mm Super Elmar M, which I compared it to. Nothing I have seen from Sigma quite compare.

The Sigma 24/3.5 performs way above its price point. Stopped down to f/5.6-8.0, it holds up well out to the corners in multi-shot mode at 100 MP. Better than the 24 Elmar-M as well.

I posted some crops here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/319860-sigma-l-2435-dg-dn/#comment-4230673

SL 35 and SL 50. Extremely good. When I am not in a hurry and do not want/need to catch every subject.

Panasonic 24-70. Very good. Not as heavy as the 24-90. When I don't have a lot of time and want/need everything.

Panasonic 16-36. Good to very good. Not heavy, super for landscape and architecture. 

Thinking about buying a SL 28 or Q2….

9 hours ago, slowpic said:

Thinking about buying a SL 28 or Q2….

As much as Leica likes to advertise how buying a Q2 is like buying a 28mm Summilux and getting a free body, the 28mm lens on the Q2 is quite different from the 28mm Summilux-M and the 28mm APO SL.

The Q2 lens is more like a 25mm lens with a lot of distortion which is corrected and cropped to 28mm. Edge/corner sharpness suffers and will not retain details like the 28 APO SL does but the 28 APO SL is much bigger, lacks macro capability, and weighs almost as much as the Q2. They’re completely different beasts in terms of handling and optically they’re quite different as well. The Q2 lens is more similar to the 28 Lux M but even then, they too have their own strengths/weaknesses.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently I have 4 SL Leica lenses

35 and 75 summicrons

and the 24-90 and 90-280 zooms

they are all really fantastic.

rest of my 4 lenses are M in 28,35,50,90 which don’t see as much use.

id love to add the rest of the SL summicrons and the future 21 and 24 if they ever make it out

100 macro would be great and really just want a 24 and 16 shift lens…. Not likely to ever see them I know.

Robb

• Like 2

My Collection:

VE 16-35mm

VE 24-70mm (came bundled with SL2) * Only thing I don't care for is the reverse zoom function...

VE 90-280mm

Cron 35mm

Lux 50 1.4mm

My Wish List For Leica To Introduce:   1, A wide angle TS.  2, A super telephoto lens or lenses. (Something like Canon's new lightweight RF600 f/4 would be awesome!)  3, A macro lens.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, robb said:

Currently I have 4 SL Leica lenses

35 and 75 summicrons

and the 24-90 and 90-280 zooms

they are all really fantastic.

rest of my 4 lenses are M in 28,35,50,90 which don’t see as much use.

id love to add the rest of the SL summicrons and the future 21 and 24 if they ever make it out

100 macro would be great and really just want a 24 and 16 shift lens…. Not likely to ever see them I know.

Robb

Times two on the 16mm TS and 100mm macro! Hopefully Leica is listening and paying attention...

• Like 2