How many L mount lens do you use/have?

DanielJr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have Pana L mount lens and was wondering maybe just keep 1 or 2 lens. I went to LeicaDC and tested some of their lens a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking maybe just invest all my money in the 75mm. I have been using one lens 75mm for the last 4 years and might just get this lens and call it a day.

Everyone is different have have different needs. If 75mm is your jam and you like a modern look, then the 75 APO SL should be high on your list. If you do not feel limited by a single focal length, that’s great since it simplifies your life and you spend less money.

I’ve been an M shooter for a long time and only got into the SL system via the SL2-S last year but have since built up a decent collection of L-mount glass. Sigma 14-24/2.8 and 24/3.5, Leica 16-35, 24-90, 28 APO, 90-280.

I shoot mostly with the 16-35 but each lens was purchase for specific reasons and use cases.

I bought the Leica 24-70 f2.8 V-E bundled with the SL2-S and use my old 75mm M-Summarit f2.4 with the M-L adapter. Although the 24-70 is a lovely lens, particularly for events, it is heavy (and mine has sucked in some front element dust). For personal use, I much prefer primes and have found the Sigma DG DN Contemporary range to be fantastic - they completely transform the user experience for me; they are relatively small, tactile, very enjoyable to use (manually and in auto) and, in my view, are optically excellent.  I have the 24mm f3.5, 35mm f2, 45mm f2.8. I read in (I think) either the LFI or LHSA magazine that these lenses are required to meet certain Leica regulations or standards, as part of the L Mount Alliance, which is reassuring. They simply belong on SL bodies. I will be getting more. Whatever you choose, enjoy your photography! 

• Like 1

The Sigma DG DNs are indeed fabulous and I have kept the 35/2, 45/2.8 and 90/2.8

I traded in the 24/2, 65/2 and 28-70/2.8 which were all lovely in favour of the 24-70/2.8 to give me a single lens solution for the awful weather conditions (dust or rain) that I seem to invariably attract

Occasionally use my 'backup' Panasonic S5 with 20-60 and 70-300 which performs very we'll but just doesn't quite give me the enjoyment I get from using the SL2

3 hours ago, huwm said:

The Sigma DG DNs are indeed fabulous and I have kept the 35/2, 45/2.8 and 90/2.8

I traded in the 24/2, 65/2 and 28-70/2.8 which were all lovely in favour of the 24-70/2.8 to give me a single lens solution for the awful weather conditions (dust or rain) that I seem to invariably attract

Occasionally use my 'backup' Panasonic S5 with 20-60 and 70-300 which performs very we'll but just doesn't quite give me the enjoyment I get from using the SL2

Nice do you find having a zoom lens too much to handle? I have the 20-60 as well and I get very overwhelmed with it. So many focal lengths that my brain just give up and I put it back in my bag. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, DanielJr said:

Nice do you find having a zoom lens too much to handle? I have the 20-60 as well and I get very overwhelmed with it. So many focal lengths that my brain just give up and I put it back in my bag. 

I'm coming in the other direction and had most recently the Olympus M4/3 and a set of f2.8 and f4 zooms before switching to the CL/TL2 combo with the full set of TL Vario zooms.

I started picking up primes and ended up with all the TLs, favourite being the 23mm and also some older m mount glass too so when I switched to S5 and SL2 my intention was to use the SL2 with primes and m glass and the S5 as a spare and for suspect areas, inclement weather, hiking etc

I just like using the SL2 so much more that I wanted to use it in those conditions too, tape over logo etc and the 24-70 and I'm good to go anywhere(ish)

I do prefer primes though as it makes for a more 'mindful' experience and using a zoom to change focal length just isn't the same but no dirt on the sensor which may reflect my poor lens changing technique and choice of environment to do so tbh

• Like 1

None

Bought my SL2 to use primariiy with my longer R lenses

50/2 Summicron; 80 Summilux; 80-400/4 Vario-Elmar ROM; 180/2 APO Summicron R; 280/4 APO Telyt R plus 1.4x and 2x APO extenders

Also for use with my M lenses, although the M10 does pretty well in the shorter FL stakes

15 Voigtlander; 21/1.8 Voigtlander; 35 pre-asph lux; 50 Summicron V; 50/1.2 Voigt; 75 lux; 90 Elmarit-M; 135 Tele-Elmar

• Like 1

Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN, Sigma 85/1.4 DG DN, Sigma 24-70/2.8 DG DN and Panasonic 50/1.8... Couldn't convince myself to buy a Leica SL lens so far.

BTW, with the Panasonic 50 the SL2 feels like a different camera regarding AF(C). Almost no wobbling in the EVF and very reliable. The Sigma lenses are optically fantastic but AF(C) is quite slow and unreliable - especially in low light. Not sure about Leica SL lenses. In the store, they seemed to be in-between Sigma and Panasonic, but at least very reliable.

Regarding image quality, I still have the impression that the Leica lenses are "somehow superior". But unfortunately, I didn't find any direct comparisons between Sigma and Leica lenses. And they are only f/2 which is not ideal for dark wedding environments either. 

I dived job and fun. 
for my fun I don’t need a very accurate expensive lens. For this and testing I use the sigma lenses and I will try out Panasonic soon. I got the 24-70 which I find very good and clean and the 35 mm 2.0 

If I really want to have fun I have a 90 mm 

M 2.8 Elmarit (nice flares and very clean look) and R 2.8 Elmarit lens which is quite warm. 

and two Voigtlaender 

one 50 mm 1,5 

and one 21 mm 3,5 

Some russian m42 lenses (very nice flare) 

and I adapted all my old Olympus lenses and Nikon lenses which is fun when you open the. In photoshop 

And with the fusion smart I adapted all my old canon ef lenses. 

and since 3 months I am playing with the 45 TS Canon tilt shift lens. Which at first glance is not sharp. But if you process the images they have such a nice look, that is hard to achieve. You need to invest a lot of work if you use a perfect lens. 

so I am using these non perfect lenses for dreamy and storytelling. 

and if I do client work I rent the perfect lenses. But I always use one of the shitty lenses too. 

i even reactivated an old Beroflex I was not able to sell, because nobody wanted it. 
I adapted it and I got some nice teleshots. Not my favorite telephoto but good enough and it produces it own look too. 

so since a long time I am only searching for looks and stories …. 

so the lenses are just the medium. 

Cheers peter 

• Like 1

Currently in the L mount I have three Leica zooms, the 16-35, the 24-90, and the 90-280.

In primes I have the Summicron-SL 50mm f/2, and the Summicron-SL 35mm f/2. These are all wonderful lenses.

The lens I'm itching for the most is the Summicron-SL 90mm f/2. 90mm is a favorite focal length for me, ever since the olden days with the 90mm f/4 Elmar. which I have both in screw mount and in M mount.

When the right opportunity arises, I'd also like to get hold of the Summilux-Sl 50mm f/1.4 as well. The Summilux-M 50mm f1.4 spends a great deal of time on my M10M.

At the risk of over-repetition, these are all simply wonderful lenses! Though I also work in medium and large format, these lenses (and the M lenses I use) are truly at the center of my photographic life. They provide the answers to most of the photographic challenges I place before myself.

Edited by DadDadDaddyo