Voigtländer Color Skopar 3.5/21mm Asph. VM II - New Version II Photos and First Impressions

NicholasT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently own Leica's fine 21mm Super-Elmar 3.4 ASPH. Needless to say I'm extremely pleased with the lens. It's my go to wide angle lens.

That said, particularly when I go out with 1-2 lens I tend to leave it behind. I'm looking for a more compact quality alternative for street/city/travel.

From reviews I gather that 3.5 Skopar is a significant improvement over prior 4.0 model, particularly when shooting with digital M. That said the Skopar 3.5 V1 appears to have some rather significant field curvature issues unless stopped down to F8. 

I've searched for reviews on the newly released Version II, but haven't been able to find any reviews or tests of this lens.

If anyone owns this lens and can share impressions and maybe a few photos, it would be greatly appreciated. Also would be particularly interested in knowing what specific improvements were made in the new version of this lens. Thanks!

I had the 21mm f4 but really didn't like the quality of it. After looking at a few reviews I got the f/3.5 and am very happy with it. I have never had the Leica so I can't direct compare but the quality and compactness are perfect for me. 

Here are few shots I've taken with it (ignore the EXIF data...it's wrong). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NicholasT said:

These images look great, particularly (as you indicate) coming from a lens as light and compact as the Skopar 3.5. 

I assume this is V1?

Thanks for the feedback!

It is v1 but my understanding is that the lens formula is the same between v1 and v2...just the case and focusing stick changed. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I too am curious about the V2.  I dislike the stick focus tab, so didn't consider this lens until the V2 with proper focus tab.  However, the reported field curvature from V1 reviews has me hesitating.  I would be thrilled to learn it has been addressed in V2.

Anybody know?  

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, armadsen said:

Does anyone know if the version 2 lens actually includes the hood? B&H's listing says "Includes Lens Hood", but version 1 didn't, and I can't find any other evidence, including photos, to indicate that version 2 actually includes a lens hood.

So buy it from B&H and you are assured it includes the lens hood.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought this lens for my trip to Antelope Canyon later this year. I hope to test it this weekend in New York. I tried snapping pictures around the house, and it looks great for indoor photography if you're into it :)

• Like 1

Tried the lens in New York, and learned that I absolutely suck with wide lenses :) 

It is a fun lens, though.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome lens! Love mine, works great with the m and with the sl2s...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Premature Christmas decorations :)

• Like 1

a few more images with this great little lens....

• Like 4

Here's an un-edited pix of the Kyoto Imperial Guest House taken with the Voigtlander 21mm f3.5 Color Skopar II on the Leica M10R to give an indication of field curvature.             (The  bridge actually has some curve to it.) 

If you don't care for the focus stick, BH sells a stick-on rubber focus tab.  I un-screwed the stick and placed the focus tab over it - works great and hasn't fallen off yet.

Also, I purchased a cheap wide angle metal hood that doesn't vignette and provides protection for the lens without having to use a filter.  It was on for this shot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This lens turned out to be perfect for Antelope Canyon :) 

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

A bit late to the thread but I just saw this.

You might be selling yourself short: this is a really good shot!

Thank you! This was pure luck :) I saw the reflections and the transition between the street and the underground entrance but couldn't stop so as not to block people behind me from entering the store. I snapped a picture from the hip, and it turned out well. :) 

• Like 1