Voigtländer 15mm L39 (first version) with Leica M11

Mikko Kankainen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tried to search but couldn't find another post.

I bought for 200€ Voigtländer 15mm L39 version that is suppose to give purple corners with digital cameras. I thought that if this in indeed the case I will use it with my M4. However this lens performs great, no purple corners, just vignetting that is easy to correct, I use Voightlander 15mm II profile in Lightroom.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Mikko Kankainen said:

I tried to search but couldn't find another post.

I bought for 200€ Voigtländer 15mm L39 version that is suppose to give purple corners with digital cameras. I thought that if this in indeed the case I will use it with my M4. However this lens performs great, no purple corners, just vignetting that is easy to correct, I use Voightlander 15mm II profile in Lightroom.

Excellent news. Did you use an in camera lens profile for this?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes I did but I shoot DNG. I used 16-18-21 @16 wich was the only close enough that I found. I didn't see any difference with this correction.

If I remember right there was reports about purple corners from people using M8-M10. I had 240 before and har these corners with Voightländer 21mm f4 but those are also gone now.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I have zero purple corners with my 12/5.6 Voigtlander on M10-R.

Different optical design.

The 12mm always produced less color vignetting (aka "Italian Flag;" "purple corners") than the 15mm v1/2. Even on the M9. Not perfect, but better.

And Leica has been slowly improving the response with each FF sensor generation (M9, M240, M10, M10-R, and M11 (BSI)).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mikko Kankainen said:

Yes I did but I shoot DNG. I used 16-18-21 @16 wich was the only close enough that I found. I didn't see any difference with this correction.

If I remember right there was reports about purple corners from people using M8-M10. I had 240 before and har these corners with Voightländer 21mm f4 but those are also gone now.

So you also shot this lens uncoded and it didn't shade? 

8 minutes ago, hmzimelka said:

So you also shot this lens uncoded and it didn't shade? 

Yes I did and I saw no difference. In Lightroom I chose lens profile as I mentioned. There is quite a lot vignetting but it's black not colored so it's pretty nice even without correction in some scenes and it's easy to correct at least when using low ISOs.

Here is first test shot when I opened the package and tried the lens uncoded, no difference.

Edited by Mikko Kankainen

This might be even better buy than version III because this is so light and this one can focus down to 0.3 meters, sample picture. For 200€ it's a bargain and it's great in film too. No rangefinder focusing with this one (L39) but usually not needed and close focusing using liveview.

Edited by Mikko Kankainen
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikko Kankainen said:

This might be even better buy than version III because this is so light and this one can focus down to 0.3 meters, sample picture. For 200€ it's a bargain and it's great in film too. No rangefinder focusing with this one (L39) but usually not needed and close focusing using liveview.

Cool, thank you!

As far as M lenses are concerned, the CV Heliar 15/4.5 v2 is RF coupled but its MFD is only 0.5m. Doesn't suffer from color shifts on the M11 and doesn't need lens profiles either. Here at f/4.5 with moderate vignetting correction. 

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the result from a Version I on a SL2S with chinese ltm-m-Adapter and a original m-l-Adapter:

DNG:

and with some Adjustments in Lightroom:

absolutely no magenta-Problems….

Here the Setup….really funny is the handling…(-;

• Like 1

Off course in bw also no problems…..(-;

Given the construction I expected much worse (smearing in the corners, etc) with this lens, but on my sony R bodies it looks much better than I thought it would. Of course on film it's great, too. The huge dynamic range of the digital sensor means the falloff is less of an impediment than on film, too.