The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, astrostl said:

I expect the Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 35/2 to optically outperform the Leica APO-Summicron 35/2. We'll see. In any case, heck of a year for M lenses and it's only March!

I don't know about this. Let the hype die down for the Voigt 50 APO and we will start getting some comparisons. I haven't seen any yet and the images I've seen have been solid but remind me a lot of the Cron V5 (standard version - which isn't a bad thing). 

I agree though, I love all the competition. Let's go! I'd love to see Zeiss start to pump out some updated ZM lenses. 

9 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

If that happened it would make the leica apo ridiculous?

Leica would still have the smaller size advantage (leaving aside machining for barrels -> different lens designs and more exotic glass = higher cost but smaller size?). Take the 50APO Cron vs 50APO VM for example. But I guess a fair number of people would put less weight on the Leica name and the size difference since its the image quality that matters and since the lenses from Leica and ZM/VM aren't that big compared to DSLR glass.

8 hours ago, Cronilux said:

Strange post called first impressions without actual impressions.

Sorry if that was not clear. My first impression is that it's unlike anything you've seen before. I think it will destroy the alternatives (Voigtlander APO, Zeiss Biogion, etc) because it's small, incredibly engineered and good looking. 

My first impression is that it could push over the SL 35 APO and become the new 35MM KING. Image quality is quite incredible so far. Reminds me of the rendering of the Q2

Just now, ZHNL said:

From leaked image, the lens looks pretty small but not as elegant as 50apo. It reminds me discontinued 35 summarit. 

I just made a video of the lens which I want to post but the file seems too heavy. 

The only thing I can think of right now is to post it on my instagram story but since Leica follows me I dont want troubles either 😂

Wonder whether the square metal hood will fit the FLE, and whether it comes with a metal cap like the Q2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steven said:

I just made a video of the lens which I want to post but the file seems too heavy. 

The only thing I can think of right now is to post it on my instagram story but since Leica follows me I dont want troubles either 😂

Enjoy your lens. It is small and lovely. If it beat 35SL cron, it will be an engineering wonder though I doubt it. 

Looks really similar to Q/Q2's lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, astrostl said:

I expect the Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 35/2 to optically outperform the Leica APO-Summicron 35/2. We'll see. In any case, heck of a year for M lenses and it's only March!

The Voigtlander APO 35/2 is an outstanding optic, but Leica’s 35 APO manages to be even sharper at f/2 in the central region than the Voigtlander—approaching APO 35-SL performance levels—while being much smaller and much lighter than either 35 APO alternative. It is sharper across the frame than the 50 APO, which used to serve as the Leica M optical benchmark for many. 

All of which is quite an achievement, $8,200 price not withstanding (might set a current Leica record for $ per gram?).

Edited by onasj
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wonzo said:

OMG! I`ve never liked the Q-hood. Now it comes on an M-lens! This is the killer for me. Anyway I wasn`t interested, I`m more after the classic look, not the clinical.

It’s beautiful compared to the q2 cause it’s very tiny and flat. And yes it comes with a metal cap to cover it ! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tgray said:

One of my ZMs goes to 0.5m (21/4.5). I’ve mostly used it on a film M and have had no issues even though there is no tactile feedback when you go below the RF coupling range. The patch stops moving and you just adjust focus a bit to find the minimum. No problem. 

A slight decent would still be welcome on a faster and narrower lens than the ZM.  You’d know right away when you hit 0.7m. 

it's ok unless you use zone focusing & focus by feel...that's why i never enjoyed lens that focused closer than 0.7m. This lens seems to correct that in a similar way as Nikkor 50mm f2 / 1.4 ltm lens did, by putting a hard stop at the minimum RF focus range and allowing you to turn it further for close focus. Poinless for film / non-EVF cameras but great for those who use EVFs.