The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

On 4/2/2022 at 12:13 AM, junix said:

My local dealer has another 35 APO in stock, I said no two times already. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to say no a third time. :)

Anyhow, I don't see a lot of "APO love" lately.. is everyone with a 35 APO too busy out shooting or you guys already sold your copies?

Out shooting. Fabulous lens like the APO-50.

I’ve now had it long enough that I’ve recovered from the bill-shock which is a distant memory so I’m past the cost-justifying-performance rationalisation.  Am still fully comfortable having sold the 1.4/35 FLE to help fund it (always had a love hate relationship with that lens but may get a pre FLE at some stage). 

Just about to go on a short drive holiday and for a change based my lens kit around 35mm rather than the 50mm.  So much angst deciding which lenses to take 🙄.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s a bill shock which keeps me away.  I’ve turned down two of these lenses, and I’m rather dreading having to turn down a third.

I have two 35s already (Summilux pre-asph and 35 Distagon), and it isn’t even my favoured focal length.  The two I have are excellent in their own ways.  But, it is a good single lens option, and if I sold the two lenses I have, the price might be bearable … Gear reduction!

🙄

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 12:25 PM, tom0511 said:

the problem here would be that for a 100% color correction the camera would need to know the exact f-stop. Which it does not know.

I think the estimated value would suffice in most cases. 

On 7/9/2022 at 8:38 AM, IkarusJohn said:

It’s a bill shock which keeps me away.  I’ve turned down two of these lenses, and I’m rather dreading having to turn down a third.

I have two 35s already (Summilux pre-asph and 35 Distagon), and it isn’t even my favoured focal length.  The two I have are excellent in their own ways.  But, it is a good single lens option, and if I sold the two lenses I have, the price might be bearable … Gear reduction!

🙄

The 35 pre-ASPH is a gorgeous lens. I meant pre-ASPH when I wrote pre-FLE by mistake.  Was out shooting with a friend once and we swapped 35 Summuxes for a few hours, my FLE for his pre-ASPH.  Stunning photos - should have swapped with him permanently then and there.  Let me know if you decide to sell it 🙂.

..oh, and I don’t think it’s my preferred focal length any more 🙄, but I keep coming back to it because of my Contax T3s and now the 35 APO-Summicron.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...