M11 bug with uncoded lens

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Send it back.

I had a similar issue with my M10 (in addition to the ISO dial not working, the frame lines not switching with lens switching, in addition to a line through the sensor on all images over 400 ISO.) It took two separate trips to repair these things and get the camera working as new one should have been - in fact I was using it with no problem at all a mere year or so after I ordered it!

They make nice things but methinks they may be rushing stuff out the door sometimes...I wouldn't buy any new release Leica anymore without a backup plan for months. For the premium they charge it's really a bad look. Still, when one is working right nothing like it. 

Edited by pgh

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Fetchmycamera said:

The apo 50 summicron is not in the list of M lenses?

That is because the 50mm APO-Summicron-M was never made without 6-bit coding - too new.

The menu list is only for legacy older lenses, that were made without the 6-bit coding - i.e. before Autumn 2006.

Or - the 16-18-21, in order to specify which of the three focal lengths is being used.

If your APO-Summicron is not being detected, that is a problem, but the menu list is not intended to be a solution to that.

Process of elimination:

Does your M11 detect other coded lenses correctly?

Is your APO-Summicron properly detected on other cameras?

Inspect the camera's 6-bit detector, and the lens's engraved B&W 6-bit markings, for dirt or residue that may be appearing as false "black spots" to the camera, and confusing the CPU.

I'm sure that can be checked out right at the sales counter of the LA Leica Store (actually in West Hollywood). Borrowed body, borrowed lenses, for comparisons, and the inspections.

If the camera (or lens) is found to be defective, it may have to go back to the original retail source - but possibly not; Leica LA may be able to handle the repair, return or exchange for you.

Thank you so much. I called Leica Soho and the rep was perfectly happy to say what you said: inspect, make sure nothing there, tighten again. RESOLVED.  I am a bit nervous with the camera I think so it is quite possible it was all my fault!  i.e. Perhaps it was tight but not tightened to the final end degree even though it appeared shooting fine.. However, I have been corrected as it was not staying in AUTO for lens detection even tho I selected auto. It would revert to manual detection.  All auto now and reading the 2/50.

NEXT issue though,  the Battery? As this is my first rangefinder, I have been immersed in menus, youtube videos on suggestions, zone focusing learning, and of course trying everything out but in reality have shot relatively few photos! 117 to be exact. AND the battery is depleting very very fast.  The battery is already at 40%?

I have heard that the shooting experience can be all day with same battery and so this seems like rapid fast depletion?

Thoughts?

Yes, re: touching base with West LA store,  I have frequented that location several times before! I was a little nervous about them knowing I purchased it at Soho.  I am sure they would have liked that revenue. A little funny twist with a legacy store vs. Miami, Soho, SF....

• Thanks 1

The largest power user on a digital camera is generally the rear viewing screen, so if you've been practicing with the menus and reviewing pictures, that will drain the battery faster than using the optical (glass window) viewfinder and rangefinder to simply take pictures.

The more you can use a digital M like a film M, using as few of the electronics as possible, the longer the battery will hold out.

Glass and lever viewfinder/rangefinder rather than live-view, knob for ISO instead of menu-diving, menus set up once and then forget them, Wi-Fi or other radio-connectivity turned off, only reviewing pictures manually a few times rather than reviewing every shot - all of that saves battery power for the important stuff. Taking photographs. ;)

Thank you so! I really appreciate this Forum and your kind attention to my queries in particular! You are right, I am guilty this go round. As, I am trying to work things out I have been chimping and zooming as I start with this new lens and body and of course that would have contributed to drainage. Not my practice usually. 

Away we go!

Again, thank you.

Without changing my lens, just shooting test shots with my 2.0/50 apo summicron (my only m lens) on my Leica m11; new body and both delivered at same time, same box, together a week ago. 

I am getting improper lens detection readings. See photos.

The camera is in auto for lens detection.  On playback, it will read correctly for several shots but then indiscriminately will record it as is a different lens.  It went to a 2.8 21mm. It also has gone to 1.4/50 and ????

I have called the store, they said to assure the connection is tight, assure the bar code is clear from any debris or filmy surface ( huh? new camera/new lens..

Any ideas?

----------------

I called the store again and will talk to them tomorrow.

----------------

Also, I see a spot on the new lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hard to see the spot but about 3 o'clock.

Any thoughts? Is this dust?

What to expect from retailer for assistance?

I feel like I am a bit crazy!

thanks ever so.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Fetchmycamera
better photo