M11 bug with uncoded lens

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found that if I leave Lens profile off or auto, then turn off the camera. Mount a lens without code, turn on the camera, Camera will be in weird mode that OVF internal light is on, but MENU, LCD, or any FN will not work, you can't shoot either. In this case, the only way to bring back life of camera is mount a coded lens, turn on camera. 

With coded lens, you can select manually on Leica M or Leica R even they are gray out, then turn off camera. Now you can mount a uncoded lens and turn on and select lens from list. 

Do you have the same issue?

Thank you for reply. Can you try this with your uncoded lens, before you turn off the camera, manually put lens profile to "off" and then turn off the camera. Turn on the camera right after again. Can you turn it on?

I think I need change my original condition a little. It turns out I can turn on the camera with uncoded lens if Lens selection was "auto"  (means you used coded lens) before turn off camera. 

Edited by ZHNL

6 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Mine when I turn it off, in the shortcut menu where it should show ‘off’ it shows 16 - 18 -21 or something like this…instead of showing ‘off’…no idea why but it seems like a bug to me. 

Yes, I have not find a pattern why sometime it shows that 16-18-21. However, whenever it shows that, you seem be able to turn on camera with uncoded lens. If you turn off with menu show that, you can turn it back on fine. 

very strange, I am still try to find a pattern before report to Leica. 

I thought I can’t recreate the issue anymore but just now, it happened again that I can’t turn on the camera again with Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 lens. I didn’t change anything, means the same condition it worked before. Whenever this happen, the only way bring camera back to life is using coded lens to turn on the camera. Not even remove battery helps in this case. 

I can imagine it will be really frustrating if you only bring one uncoded lens out and you get stuck like this. 

integrate M with SL interface/control seems create lots of issues/ bugs so far. :(

I have a separate issue with Lens Detection of an uncoded lens where the selected lens is not retained once the camera is turned off or falls asleep. My Len Detection setting at Manual M has just one lens set to on: 35 f/1.4 ASPH 11873. When I restart the camera a 2.8/21 lens is select instead of 1.4/35.  

I wonder if anyone can confirm this issue on their M11:  

- Under Manual M set 11873 on so it’s listed.    
- Mount an uncoded lens (preferably a 35mm so frame lines match).  
- Select 11873 as the lens and confirm 1.4/35 it is shown on the status screen.   
- Turn camera off (or let it fall asleep). Turn camera on. Is 1.4/35 still shown on the status screen?

Also, anyone know the most appropriate email to report this to Leica?

13 minutes ago, ELAN said:

I have a separate issue with Lens Detection of an uncoded lens where the selected lens is not retained once the camera is turned off or falls asleep. My Len Detection setting at Manual M has just one lens set to on: 35 f/1.4 ASPH 11873. When I restart the camera a 2.8/21 lens is select instead of 1.4/35.  

I wonder if anyone can confirm this issue on their M11:  

- Under Manual M set 11873 on so it’s listed.    
- Mount an uncoded lens (preferably a 35mm so frame lines match).  
- Select 11873 as the lens and confirm 1.4/35 it is shown on the status screen.   
- Turn camera off (or let it fall asleep). Turn camera on. Is 1.4/35 still shown on the status screen?

Just tried it and no I do not see 1.4/35 in the menu, but I see another lens (2/35) which is not even in the list (but was in my list before I updated the firmware)

33 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

Just tried it and no I do not see 1.4/35 in the menu, but I see another lens (2/35) which is not even in the list (but was in my list before I updated the firmware)

Thanks for confirming the bug.

1 hour ago, ELAN said:

I've been reporting bugs via the Leica Fotos App (Settings > Customer Service), because it attaches information about your camera with it. Having said that, the Leica Fotos team forward the email to "info@leica-camera.com". Either way, I always find them helpful and fairly prompt at replying.

Edited by mrmalo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrmalo said:

I've been reporting bugs via the Leica Fotos App (Settings > Customer Service), because it attaches information about your camera with it. Having said that, the Leica Fotos team forward the email to "info@leica-camera.com". Either way, I always find them helpful and fairly prompt at replying.

I reported a few bugs through foto apps but it seems just some auto reply. 

17 hours ago, ZHNL said:

I reported a few bugs through foto apps but it seems just some auto reply. 

I think the fotos app recordings go only to the app team..

this is the support info from the site

Leica Camera AG - Headquarter

Leica Camera AG
Am Leitz-Park 535578 Wetzlar
Germany

For any questions regarding our Leica products, please contact: 
  • Like 1

The lens detection is so erratic that is hard to pinpoint the buggy behaviour. I saw it when using User Profiles, but also with certain lenses or switching from manual R to Auto. I just make sure that when I put a lens on it is the correct one showing up on the Status screen. Not that that is a fool proof either as we saw with the User Profiles and the DNG size.