Family Photojournalis(M), Anyone?

Photojournoguy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

58 minutes ago, Memorexx said:

Beautiful pictures. Goosebumps everywhere. Just beautiful. 

so motivating to look at your pictures. I want something like that :) 

what is your setup? I read that you almost take all pictures in bw? So no monochrome M yet? And which lenses are you using. It looks like you are right in the moment. Amazing 

edit: just saw. M10M with the 35mm apo. The Lightroom link to the Leica only pictures however is not working :(

How very generous thank you for taking the time to peruse and share! Yes it’s been since my original post that I’ve used nothing but the Leica kit and no end in sight. Previous to this, I was using a Sony A7iii with my two most used lenses being a Voigtlander 40 1.2 and Sony GM 24 1.4. My Sony was doubling as my work webcam over Zoom and my photography, now it’s a webcam only and very satisfied leaving it there.

I made a new link a few posts up to my Leica-only selects from these months which can be found here, this should do the trick. Metadata also visible.

https://adobe.ly/3q97gMU

Edited by Photojournoguy
  • Like 1

Using a Sony a7iii as webcam :D haha awesome. 

those M10M pics with the 35APO. Very nice. When I see those pictures, I want to take pictures myself. 

I like BW as well and I am struggling weather I should get a M10M or not. I have a M10P. 35FLE and 50Apo on the way. 

Well I guess I have to try and shoot shoot shoot. 

do you do a lot of post processing? Or are the files more or less straight out of the camera? 

• Like 1

Great images! I also have shot many images of my kids with M (they are now 11 and 14 years old). At some point I stopped posting them in the internet since I had the feeling I should post images in the "free" internet because of privacy. I agree the M is great for spontaneous images of kids and family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Memorexx said:

Using a Sony a7iii as webcam :D haha awesome. 

those M10M pics with the 35APO. Very nice. When I see those pictures, I want to take pictures myself. 

I like BW as well and I am struggling weather I should get a M10M or not. I have a M10P. 35FLE and 50Apo on the way. 

Well I guess I have to try and shoot shoot shoot. 

do you do a lot of post processing? Or are the files more or less straight out of the camera? 

The process of self-exploration when it comes to B&W is an interesting one. Over the years I've been capturing images, I reviewed my 'all-time favorites' and learned that 85% of them were converted to B&W. And at that, only a few of my color pictures were really enhanced BY being in color. Besides those exceptions, all the pictures that I loved more than any others were in B&W. If that percentage were more around the 50% then I'd have a more conflicting time internally when capturing images or post processing about how to handle.

But for me, I wanted two things out of the Monochrom - a state of mind in terms of feeling liberated by not having the option and enjoying said commitment when clicking the shutter. And the medium-format-esque range of tonalities and grays (17,000 shades of gray vs. 256 I believe in a converted image). That part is not just a state of mind (to me), that was evident from my first shots. And in comparing them to my Sony shots, I see a difference in visual depth and gradation. And it's stunning.

I also felt confident that if I wanted a color shot that I saw in advance, I could just use my Sony as a parachute solution. I haven't and won't be pulling that parachute cord though after Day 1 with the M10M.

Your case is different as you already have the same M form factor and shooting experience. If I bought a color M, the M10P would've been it. But the above thought process as well as the depth of files from the Mono that I don't feel can be replicated by the P or other non-mono iterations led to me committing to a niche of a niche (M and then Mono). My head (and wallet) said of course color that you can convert and have that flexibility (logical, eh?), but my heart said Mono. I've learned to listen to my intuition. ESPECIALLY for a hobby/area of true creative passion vs. some business expense.

Also there’s a lot of talk about being able to modify color channels when converting. Something about that never resonated with me. I found that ability TOO overwhelming and while I do generic PP and dodging and burning, I felt there were too many options and was slightly outside of the fidelity of editing I wanted to personally stick with. So that ‘pro’ was more of a ‘con’ in my book.

Curious your thought process as well! Where is your head at?

I do some PP, all in LRCC nothing in Photoshop or anything. My main go-to's are boosting contrast for added pop (guilty as charged), adding slight vignette and then I play with the rest on a case by case, but always am moving whites, blacks, shadows and highlights based on what each image would benefit from the most. I move the highlights generally to where there is nothing blown out besides the sun. Whites/blacks I modify so that it's right at the point where a hair of each is showing (small amount of full black showing before I release the slider). My PP tastes have remained the same before and after Leica (and actually since I first picked up a camera, just my PP style I suppose), but the result is different. Have I said stunning yet? ;)

Edited by Photojournoguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

Great images! I also have shot many images of my kids with M (they are now 11 and 14 years old). At some point I stopped posting them in the internet since I had the feeling I should post images in the "free" internet because of privacy. I agree the M is great for spontaneous images of kids and family.

How cool! How long capturing them with the M?

We definitely have pictures that are only for us, out of respect for our ’big’ girl and in case anyone has not the right intentions with such images.

Any words of wisdom or key learnings you’ve found from capturing the kids in general over the years whether pertaining or not pertaining to the M?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Photojournoguy:

The process of self-exploration when it comes to B&W is an interesting one. Over the years I've been capturing images, I reviewed my 'all-time favorites' and learned that 85% of them were converted to B&W. And at that, only a few of my color pictures were really enhanced BY being in color. Besides those exceptions, all the pictures that I loved more than any others were in B&W. If that percentage were more around the 50% then I'd have a more conflicting time internally when capturing images or post processing about how to handle.

But for me, I wanted two things out of the Monochrom - a state of mind in terms of feeling liberated by not having the option and enjoying said commitment when clicking the shutter. And the medium-format-esque range of tonalities and grays (17,000 shades of gray vs. 256 I believe in a converted image). That part is not just a state of mind (to me), that was evident from my first shots. And in comparing them to my Sony shots, I see a difference in visual depth and gradation. And it's stunning.

I also felt confident that if I wanted a color shot that I saw in advance, I could just use my Sony as a parachute solution. I haven't and won't be pulling that parachute cord though after Day 1 with the M10M.

Your case is different as you already have the same M form factor and shooting experience. If I bought a color M, the M10P would've been it. But the above thought process as well as the depth of files from the Mono that I don't feel can be replicated by the P or other non-mono iterations led to me committing to a niche of a niche (M and then Mono). My head (and wallet) said of course color that you can convert and have that flexibility (logical, eh?), but my heart said Mono. I've learned to listen to my intuition. ESPECIALLY for a hobby/area of true creative passion vs. some business expense.

Also there’s a lot of talk about being able to modify color channels when converting. Something about that never resonated with me. I found that ability TOO overwhelming and while I do generic PP and dodging and burning, I felt there were too many options and was slightly outside of the fidelity of editing I wanted to personally stick with. So that ‘pro’ was more of a ‘con’ in my book.

Curious your thought process as well! Where is your head at?

I do some PP, all in LRCC nothing in Photoshop or anything. My main go-to's are boosting contrast for added pop (guilty as charged), adding slight vignette and then I play with the rest on a case by case, but always am moving whites, blacks, shadows and highlights based on what each image would benefit from the most. I move the highlights generally to where there is nothing blown out besides the sun. Whites/blacks I modify so that it's right at the point where a hair of each is showing (small amount of full black showing before I release the slider). My PP tastes have remained the same before and after Leica (and actually since I first picked up a camera, just my PP style I suppose), but the result is different. Have I said stunning yet? ;)

I have been taking pictures as a hobby for years now...I even teamed up with a pro and shot weddings...back in the DSLR times with Canon :) 
Even then I always loved the black and white look...it is just timeless and has an arty touch to it. With color I was never sure which look I preferred...Cross development, creamy overexposed Portra look etc. 

I have always been starring at the Monochrom cameras...they have a certain look which cannot be achieved completely by converting color files into BW. Coming from the M240 I got a great deal for a M10P...still lurking over to the Monochromes :) got a great deal for the Q2M and bought that one as well...sometimes having the autofocus and the display is nice...and my wife can use that camera as well :D But holding and using a Q2M is just not the same compared to my M10P. I would love to own a M10M and a 35mm APO some day...but acquiring the 35mm APO is just impossible for now. The waiting lists are so long...they told me at least a year. 

So just a little PP...contrast, highlights, shadows etc. thats fine for me...I mean that process is rather quick...so you are shooting in RAW I guess? 

• Like 2

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Photojournoguy:

How cool! How long capturing them with the M?

We definitely have pictures that are only for us, out of respect for our ’big’ girl and in case anyone has not the right intentions with such images.

Any words of wisdom or key learnings you’ve found from capturing the kids in general over the years whether pertaining or not pertaining to the M?

If I look at your images and how good they are - I dont think there is much  wisdom I could tell you.

I have used Leica M for over 30 years (now (M6, RD-1, M8,.......M11). I also checked out all kind of lenses.

Over the years I have made the experience, that I want to use the M in the area where I see it is strength, and not make it a system which should do all and everything.

What I mean is, that for example, I like to use it most in the 28-50/75mm range, because thats where the rangefinder works best. And I use it as much with the optical finder and only occasionally with the EVF.

I also  found that I do not always need the fastest lens. M is for me also about compact lenses, and its hard to precisly focus at f1.4 (or even 0.95) anyways, so I have moved a bit from the "shallow DOF"-photography to using medium apartures more often. I once sold my 50/0.95 and 50/1.4 and got a 50APO, never regretted this step.

I bought a 28/1.4 last year, but I am allready at the point where I think the 28/2.0 should have been (maybe) the better option for me. I also prefer the 21mm/3.4 over all other 21mm options.

The second thing - I accept for some things (action, sports, shallow DOF for longer lenses,...) its nice to have a fast AF camera with face detection. So I dont limit myself to just the M, but for certain occasions I use a different system.

Overall for me 50mm is the focal length which works best for my kids images - so I can be close to them, I can shoot also in tighter areas indoors, and I can catch the whole scene.

The other experience...I needed to accept the privacy of my kids - when my daughters grew older, they do not want to be on images often any more. However if you take "cool" images the chance is better that you get permission here and then ;)

Frienkly for me personally family images are great - first it seems boring but if you look at them some years later its great memories and a lot of fun. Much more fun than old "landscape travel" images IMO. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Photojournoguy said:

How very generous thank you for taking the time to peruse and share! Yes it’s been since my original post that I’ve used nothing but the Leica kit and no end in sight. Previous to this, I was using a Sony A7iii with my two most used lenses being a Voigtlander 40 1.2 and Sony GM 24 1.4. My Sony was doubling as my work webcam over Zoom and my photography, now it’s a webcam only and very satisfied leaving it there.

I made a new link a few posts up to my Leica-only selects from these months which can be found here, this should do the trick. Metadata also visible.

https://adobe.ly/3q97gMU

Fabulous set of family photos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Memorexx said:

I have been taking pictures as a hobby for years now...I even teamed up with a pro and shot weddings...back in the DSLR times with Canon :) 
Even then I always loved the black and white look...it is just timeless and has an arty touch to it. With color I was never sure which look I preferred...Cross development, creamy overexposed Portra look etc. 

I have always been starring at the Monochrom cameras...they have a certain look which cannot be achieved completely by converting color files into BW. Coming from the M240 I got a great deal for a M10P...still lurking over to the Monochromes :) got a great deal for the Q2M and bought that one as well...sometimes having the autofocus and the display is nice...and my wife can use that camera as well :D But holding and using a Q2M is just not the same compared to my M10P. I would love to own a M10M and a 35mm APO some day...but acquiring the 35mm APO is just impossible for now. The waiting lists are so long...they told me at least a year. 

So just a little PP...contrast, highlights, shadows etc. thats fine for me...I mean that process is rather quick...so you are shooting in RAW I guess? 

In absorbing what you're saying and getting a sense of your thought process, it definitely sounds like you'd sync with a monochrome, and hope you're enjoying the Q! Understand the lust for the M version, and I don't think that'll go away. But of course having two M's is something I can't relate to so only something you'll find out if you take the plunge into discovery is if one will collect dust over the other, or if you'll find a balance in giving love to each.

Imagine you have a trusted dealer for your hook-ups, but I found myself on a bunch of 35 APO lists where I was the first, etc. Not at the major volume boutiques of course, but based on those different quote times, I was expecting anywhere from 4-6 months. If you're looking for any mom and pop shop references, happy to share over PM who were helpful in my search. And of course the dealer I ended up working with, who knows what their expectations are but I at the very least know they'll be straight with you/keep you looped in.

And yes, light PP overall, just love contrast and accentuating those white and blacks. The files come out very flat, but pop with just a few adjustments (and with no limits it seems in terms of malleability). And all RAW all the time. My thought is I never know where/when a 'keeper' will materialize so better safe than sorry.

6 hours ago, tom0511 said:

If I look at your images and how good they are - I dont think there is much  wisdom I could tell you.

I have used Leica M for over 30 years (now (M6, RD-1, M8,.......M11). I also checked out all kind of lenses.

Over the years I have made the experience, that I want to use the M in the area where I see it is strength, and not make it a system which should do all and everything.

What I mean is, that for example, I like to use it most in the 28-50/75mm range, because thats where the rangefinder works best. And I use it as much with the optical finder and only occasionally with the EVF.

I also  found that I do not always need the fastest lens. M is for me also about compact lenses, and its hard to precisly focus at f1.4 (or even 0.95) anyways, so I have moved a bit from the "shallow DOF"-photography to using medium apartures more often. I once sold my 50/0.95 and 50/1.4 and got a 50APO, never regretted this step.

I bought a 28/1.4 last year, but I am allready at the point where I think the 28/2.0 should have been (maybe) the better option for me. I also prefer the 21mm/3.4 over all other 21mm options.

The second thing - I accept for some things (action, sports, shallow DOF for longer lenses,...) its nice to have a fast AF camera with face detection. So I dont limit myself to just the M, but for certain occasions I use a different system.

Overall for me 50mm is the focal length which works best for my kids images - so I can be close to them, I can shoot also in tighter areas indoors, and I can catch the whole scene.

The other experience...I needed to accept the privacy of my kids - when my daughters grew older, they do not want to be on images often any more. However if you take "cool" images the chance is better that you get permission here and then ;)

Frienkly for me personally family images are great - first it seems boring but if you look at them some years later its great memories and a lot of fun. Much more fun than old "landscape travel" images IMO. 

Wow I only hope to speak from your perspective and experience in 30 years' time! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and all makes total sense.

I'm also going into the direction of working with smaller apertures. As lovely as the Voigtlander is as a lens, it's so frustrating to use stopped down on a mirrorless without magnifying. By then, the composition and moment is gone. So I had to use it at a wider aperture just to be able to focus and snap quickly. One of the big draws of the M no doubt. And I did feel a slight sense of maturity going from my 1.2/1.4 lenses to a 2.0. ;) But the ability to see in the dark with the Mono certainly makes up for the less light gathering on the aperture front.

Will be interesting to see how my kids' perspectives change (or not) as they become independent. I've heard from so many documentary photographer interviews that their kids don't even blink an eye anymore because they were raised around the camera and don't see it as a big deal if it gets picked up from the counter or dining table. Of course, each one is different.

• Like 2