Family Photojournalis(M), Anyone?

Photojournoguy

These are great photos following very much in the PJ /documentary tradition. I don’t work this way myself but have always enjoyed the sneak peek into the personal Ives of artists whose work I admire such as Eugene Richard’s and Alain Laboile. Bravo!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwesi said:

These are great photos following very much in the PJ /documentary tradition. I don’t work this way myself but have always enjoyed the sneak peek into the personal Ives of artists whose work I admire such as Eugene Richard’s and Alain Laboile. Bravo!   

Very kind, thank you! Appreciate the leads very much, I’ve heard of Alain but not Eugene. I need to add them to my photobook shopping list and do some research on them and their works.

The images on your site are great.  Nice use of light and shadow.  If you're posting the link here though, it might be cool to have a separate gallery (just for posting here) that shows Leica M images only.  Those are probably the only ones people here are really interested in seeing.  No disrespect intended with that statement.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Photojournoguy said:

Anyone into documenting their family, relatives or kids through a photojournalism, documentary lens? I’ve only just entered the Leica/M world this month but already some of my favorite photos were taken with it. I seem to be attracted to the fine art niche within this shooting style.

Know it’s harder to capture little kids with M now than my Sony A7III system that is collecting dust right, but damn is it a blast not to be in perpetual state of autopilot!!

This is only a hobby for me but I decided to create an online portfolio just for fun, in case you’re the least bit curious. If you shoot in this style yourself, would love to hear about your experiences!

Here’s my site:

https://www.photojournoguy.com

Are you this guy who only reads M10 sub-forum and create general topics in M10 subforum?

I'm still finding it odd. 

Last camera I would choose for people photography is going to be Sony A7 series. Skin colors are so odd.

I took family pictures with film, digital M, M mount cameras and LTM cameras. It is cool process.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M-E 220.

3 hours ago, caloosajo said:

Really great images, and the “About” section thoroughly resonated with my own photographic journey, also jumpstarted by welcoming our daughter. I hope you’re printing your images, too! That has really brought me joy, especially on the rare sojourn into the darkroom.

Thank you for taking the time to view (even the other tabs) and for sharing. That’s beautiful to hear about your journey, and would love to see any images you’re comfortable sharing, if any.

It’s funny you mention printing because exactly as you say, I did not want all my memories to be selfishly enjoyed on my hard drive (or on the Apple shared album our families have access to). That sounds lonely especially for the development of a child that everyone partakes in. My first was born Sept. ‘17, so I’ve made a 9x12 photo book every year (for ourselves) and 6x8 copies (for the two sets of grandparents), and gifted it annually around Thanksgiving. There’s one encapsulating my work for any given year (birthday to birthday), while my wife or mom have at least once or twice produced a shutterbug-type baby albums of the traditional phone shots. My wife understands what I do (somewhat) but she really at the end of the day wants shots of smiley family memories (ie whatever casual shots we capture on phones).

Have made them ever since the first year through Adorama/Printique and have been very satisfied. Must say it’s been interesting seeing the change in my work since Day 1 that were included in my first year’s book when I was just learning how a camera works and trying to understand the affect of all technical elements (shutter, aperture, what is ISO) for taking a picture of my kid. More snapshot-y in nature, naturally.

2 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

I’m really impressed with that, when I read your OP I sorta thought, yeah I like to shoot my kid like that too, but after seeing your work, really the only thing I share with you is a first name!

HA!! Sharing the name of the first man in existence is never to be downplayed. Although it never got me lucky as a pick-up line…

Thank you, though! If you have any shots you’d like to share, always would love to see.

1 hour ago, John Ricard said:

The images on your site are great.  Nice use of light and shadow.  If you're posting the link here though, it might be cool to have a separate gallery (just for posting here) that shows Leica M images only.  Those are probably the only ones people here are really interested in seeing.  No disrespect intended with that statement.

Thank you! And funnily enough that thought crossed my mind and then it didn’t again after that, clearly. ;)

Here’s a Lightroom album of all my Leica shots since the 18th (with no daycare or work over the holidays, we’ve had ALOT of playground time). Shot on M10M + 35 APO.

https://adobe.ly/3pC02kx

31 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

Beautiful!

Thank you, kindly!

• Like 1

wonderful, beautiful, i am impressed !  ultimately it's only the outcome, the picture per se, its content, its message that matters - which, if timeless, is conveyed to the viewer, today, tomorrow, in thousand years from now.   many of your photos carry this eternal thing.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Are you this guy who only reads M10 sub-forum and create general topics in M10 subforum?

I'm still finding it odd. 

Last camera I would choose for people photography is going to be Sony A7 series. Skin colors are so odd.

I took family pictures with film, digital M, M mount cameras and LTM cameras. It is cool process.

M-E 220.

Fun!!

Sorry if I put in the wrong section or simply to appear as odd, I’m not new as a lurker but very new as a participant. I have the M10M but since this topic isn’t specific to monochrom, figure I’d note it in the general M10 section. And I figured there’s more lively discussion here/overall traffic then in the people-specific general section. There’s also a general digital section it could fit into but then of course that excludes film as you pointed out this topic is also Leica platform-agnostic.

Edited by Photojournoguy

It's years now since I last tried any sort of project. My camera has become instead just my daily notebook, and this has often meant my other half and our extended family, nephews etc. It's been great fun learning to shoot other people's kids, and useful as we're expecting our first in February. A related challenge has been getting everyone to accept that it's (almost) all going to be in B&W, digital (M10M) or film,  no matter how much they complain. They have phones if they really need a colour snap. I've been publishing a shared album-per-year for the whole family and intend to go down the real book road from the coming year.

Great shots and great inspiration @Photojournoguy 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

wonderful, beautiful, i am impressed !  ultimately it's only the outcome, the picture per se, its content, its message that matters - which, if timeless, is conveyed to the viewer, today, tomorrow, in thousand years from now.   many of your photos carry this eternal thing.

How generous, thank you for sharing your words.

7 hours ago, M Journey said:

Great website and great photos.  Feels like every photo has a great story to tell.

Thank you! Stories are my ultimate goal in what I want to communicate.

5 hours ago, convexferret said:

It's years now since I last tried any sort of project. My camera has become instead just my daily notebook, and this has often meant my other half and our extended family, nephews etc. It's been great fun learning to shoot other people's kids, and useful as we're expecting our first in February. A related challenge has been getting everyone to accept that it's (almost) all going to be in B&W, digital (M10M) or film,  no matter how much they complain. They have phones if they really need a colour snap. I've been publishing a shared album-per-year for the whole family and intend to go down the real book road from the coming year.

Great shots and great inspiration @Photojournoguy 👍

Congrats on expanding your family and becoming a first time daddy! Seriously, enjoy every single moment, no matter how hard at 4am and totally sleep deprived.

Totally can relate on optics from family members on strictly B&W. Up until now I used a color camera and majority of shots were converted, but for next year’s photobook it’ll all be in B&W. I just go “all in” on my vision and end product, and my mom has produced the typical baby phone picture books from shots we load onto our Apple shared album. Is my work what they would produce if they got 100% what they wanted? Nope, but everyone has choices to make and I want to show my commitment to mine. Converting majority of my pictures to B&W was a hurdle for others as it was, but now they appreciate what I’m trying to do (I think!). We take lots of pictures and videos on phones to keep everyone satisfied. I feel videos are priceless when taken on phone for immersive memories and that’s something that doesn’t conflict with my photography.

Great to hear on a physical book format as well, happy to share my experience with Printique if you have any interest in them down the line. Very happy with printed books (most of all them being lie flat vs creases down the middle).

So many beautiful photographs - you have a real knack for timing and composition, you don't get a second chance with kids, once the moment is gone they're on to something else. So many of these are just perfectly timed and executed. Thanks for sharing your work. 

• Thanks 1

Adam, they are magnificent. I wish I could turn back time and do the same. 

Those photos may or may not seem like much now, but in 10, 20yrs time, they will become priceless.

The shots I hold dearest to me are of my wife and kids.

I don't use leica currently, although that will probably change on the 13th, I do have a couple of Sony's, I purchased the RX1RII just for this purpose.

Keep up the good work, and they really are awesome candid's.......Well done. 

Edit....spell check :(

Edited by Paul.S
  • Thanks 1

Adam, I'm enjoying your precious gallery for sure. These treasured memories are lovely and fabulous. Have you ever considered Q2 Monochrome since most of your photos are black and white?

BTW, capturing the priceless moment of family photos is always a pleasant moment for me. I'd like to share recent photos taken via LTM lens with you below.

@Photojournoguy

My mom, two cousins, and her husband

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 6:01 AM, Photojournoguy said:

Anyone into documenting their family, relatives or kids through a photojournalism, documentary lens? I’ve only just entered the Leica/M world this month but already some of my favorite photos were taken with it. I seem to be attracted to the fine art niche within this shooting style.

Know it’s harder to capture little kids with M now than my Sony A7III system that is collecting dust right, but damn is it a blast not to be in perpetual state of autopilot!!

This is only a hobby for me but I decided to create an online portfolio just for fun, in case you’re the least bit curious. If you shoot in this style yourself, would love to hear about your experiences!

Here’s my site:

https://www.photojournoguy.com

You have really beautiful photos of your family! This is what I always wanted to do too! Which is why I got into the M system. Love it! Great eye and compositions are spot on. You are creating a great set of memories! well done!

May I ask what lenses you use?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevejack said:

So many beautiful photographs - you have a real knack for timing and composition, you don't get a second chance with kids, once the moment is gone they're on to something else. So many of these are just perfectly timed and executed. Thanks for sharing your work. 

Thank you very kindly! The exact moment definitely doesn’t repeat itself in the same form/motion, but especially with little toddlers, I’ve come to appreciate their interest in repeating a motion over and over again. At least for a few minutes at best. But I never expect or bank on that happening. They definitely move fast, but excited to commit myself to fully manual. Fewer in focus keepers, more fun of an experience from behind the camera!

2 hours ago, Paul.S said:

Adam, they are magnificent. I wish I could turn back time and do the same. 

Those photos may or may not seem like much now, but in 10, 20yrs time, they will become priceless.

The shots I hold dearest to me are of my wife and kids.

I don't use leica currently, although that will probably change on the 13th, I do have a couple of Sony's, I purchased the RX1RII just for this purpose.

Keep up the good work, and they really are awesome candid's.......Well done. 

Edit....spell check :(

Thank you thank you! It will be interesting to see this as time goes on how we reflect on them as a family and especially share with my unknowing subjects once my kids are older and can hopefully appreciate the effort, if not earlier than maybe if/when they have kids of their own.

Good luck in your search for the M11.

1 hour ago, Erato said:

Adam, I'm enjoying your precious gallery for sure. These treasured memories are lovely and fabulous. Have you ever considered Q2 Monochrome since most of your photos are black and white?

BTW, capturing the priceless moment of family photos is always a pleasant moment for me. I'd like to share recent photos taken via LTM lens with you below.

@Photojournoguy

My mom, two cousins, and her husband

Nice memories!! In just purchasing Leica, I bought an M10M and my work will go from mostly being in B&W to wholly. I wanted the rangefinder experience and interchangeable lenses.

43 minutes ago, Yellow_78 said:

You have really beautiful photos of your family! This is what I always wanted to do too! Which is why I got into the M system. Love it! Great eye and compositions are spot on. You are creating a great set of memories! well done!

May I ask what lenses you use?

Thank you so much! Glad to hear you’re of the same perspective!

I just bought the M10M and 35 APO. I won’t be changing that or purchasing other lenses for a looong time (and love the MFD of the APO so close up shots are on the table). I want to ‘see’ in 35 without going back and forth with other perspectives/lenses.

I can’t update my OP apparently but here’s a Lightroom album of all my Leica shots from my gallery page to show results of this combination specifically.

https://adobe.ly/3pC02kx 

Before Leica, I was using the Sony A7III the past few years with my favorite focal lenses being the Sony 24 1.4 GM and Voigtlander 40 1.2. The Voigtlander let me explore manual lenses but so much to be desired using it on a mirrorless. I don’t miss it a hair.

I've been photographing my kids with digital M cameras since the first was born in 2009. My series is called "Child's Play.' The M has been great in that it allows me to remain loose (as children are) and have it with me all the time, and now my kids think nothing of it when I'm photographing them (though sometimes their friends pose when I don't want them to, and now if I need my kids to actually pose that can be a challenge). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2