Anyone tested the Elpro 52

Stein K S

vor einer Stunde schrieb Stein K S:

Hi

I just read about the new Elpro 52 close up lens. This could be a «neat» addition to my other stuff. 

Anyone of you that has experience with it? Pros & cons?

Thank you for all feedback!

I would not recommend the Elpro 52 for rangefinder shooting at all. It is best with the Leica Q and the digital Leica CL, especially with the very flexible 18-56 mm TL and the 23 mm TL. That is where the Elpro really shines. Autofocus is helpful for macro shooting. Most M lenses magnify simply too much and the danger of motion blur is extremely high. You would need a tripod or work with a table top  setup.

Thanks! I have read about some limitations of compatible lenses. However, Leica in LFI #1 2019 put forward the ¨suggestion¨ to test the Elpro also on other lenses not their list of recommended lenses. One example: they recommend the Elpro to be used with one 75 only, the Summarit 75... and I have the Cron 75... anyone with experience?

I have also figured out that LV (as on my M10) is a ¨ must¨ and that focus must be done by physically moving. The last one not ideal obviously. But again, anyone with practical experience 😉

The very best

Elpro 52 is good.  Standard lens fitting is 52mm (hence the name) and it comes with step-down adaptors for 49mm and 46mm.  I also bought a 39mm so I could use my 50mm Summicron. Definitely use a tripod, but that's no different from other macro work and I would recommend the Visoflex instead of live view - but then I'm using it on an M10-D so I don't have live view!  I don't have a 75mm lens but it should be fine provided the filter thread is 52mm or less.

You really need to move the camera to focus and maybe then fine tune with the focussing ring.  It's a bit cumbersome but fine once you get used to it.  The attached photo taken with M10-D and 50mm Summicron at f16.  Elpro also works well on the Q.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m trying to get one, when it becomes available in the UK - due to Brexit all the imports are interrupted at the moment-  I have the macro adapter but attaching it to the lens and the body / vice versa takes time and I’m weary of doing it as I fear that it’ll expose the sensor to dust. I think any Macro focusing is beyond M’s optical viewfinder’s reach as the M body registers the type of the lens and there are no codes for macros. There is a practical reason for this because you can attach the macro to any lens creating more options than dots on the bayonet (codes) could cater for.  
close focusing requires spot on accuracy that can be achieved using live view and focus peaking  and in my opinion best way to achieve it is to use VisioFlex  because unlike the screen is not affected by ambient light

Edited by nejad_b
Added a clarification

Guest BlackBarn

It’s a nice bit of kit for the odd occasion....these using a 50 pre asph lux on a SL.  Focusing just takes time to get use to....easier not wide open. I don’t have a problem using it on my m10 and everything is handheld.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BlackBarn
Aa

1 hour ago, nejad_b said:

I’m trying to get one, when it becomes available in the UK - due to Brexit all the imports are interrupted at the moment-  I have the macro adapter but attaching it to the lens and the body / vice versa takes time and I’m weary of doing it as I fear that it’ll expose the sensor to dust. I think any Macro focusing is beyond M’s optical viewfinder’s reach as the M body registers the type of the lens and there are no codes for macros. There is a practical reason for this because you can attach the macro to any lens creating more options than dots on the bayonet (codes) could cater for.  
close focusing requires spot on accuracy that can be achieved using live view and focus peaking  and in my opinion best way to achieve it is to use VisioFlex  because unlike the screen is not affected by ambient light

I have revised my post but since I am unable to delete or edit (for some arbitrary reason!) I am replying to myself 😳

I’m trying to get one, when it becomes available in the UK - due to Brexit most of our imports are interrupted at the moment -  I have the original macro adapter that sits between lens and the body. Mounting the adapter takes 3 steps, enough time to let the dust into the camera and the sensor. I'm hoping by using this adapter I could add speed and safety to the process. 
I think any Macro focusing is beyond M’s optical viewfinder’s reach as the M body registers the type of the lens and there are no codes for macros. There is, of course, a practical reason for this because you can attach the macro to any lens creating more options than dots on the bayonet (codes) could cater for.  
Another consideration is that the close focusing require spot on accuracy that can be achieved by using live view and focus peaking. In my opinion best way to make it work is to use VisioFlex  because unlike the screen it is not affected by ambient light.

Which lens and compatibility:

I intended to use the LPRO with my 75 Summicron or find out for myself why isn't it compatible as one of the commentators stated. The only reason I can think of, at the moment, is the way Summicron is constructed that may not be strong enough to hold the LPRO: The front end of 75 cron has a ring that is around 5mm deep. its function is to take the filter at the outer threaded end and stop the built in hood popping out. This ring is attached to the lens with two spots of a glue (as far as I can tell). This ring can be easily dislodged when trying to remove the filter and obviously not strong enough for the hefty weight of LPRO!? (looks like I am talking myself out of getting it!)

Here is another thought on which lens you could use the LPRO with:

I assume and macro adapter has 2 functions: bringing the image forward, hence magnifying it and cutting the minimum focusing distance. Now here is a tricky question: wide angle lenses push the image back in order to capture wider area, so if you attach a Macro to a wide angle you just cancelling it's functions (bringing forward what is pushed back)!? Similarly a tele lens might get a better and easier result in comparison to standard lens + macro! 

It's just a thought and I might be wrong

PS I don’t respond to internet trolls so please don’t bother patronising

• 1 month later...

How is the Elpro 52 (~$500) functionally different from the various close up lens offers from the likes of B+W, Hoya, Vivitar etc. (<$50 sometimes for a set of 3-4 stackable lenses). Isn't it just a lens mounted on the filter thread? Can't reconcile with the price difference, other that it being a Leica.

Edited by rramesh

On 1/11/2021 at 8:37 PM, nejad_b said:

Which lens and compatibility:

I intended to use the LPRO with my 75 Summicron or find out for myself why isn't it compatible as one of the commentators stated. The only reason I can think of, at the moment, is the way Summicron is constructed that may not be strong enough to hold the LPRO: The front end of 75 cron has a ring that is around 5mm deep. its function is to take the filter at the outer threaded end and stop the built in hood popping out. This ring is attached to the lens with two spots of a glue (as far as I can tell). This ring can be easily dislodged when trying to remove the filter and obviously not strong enough for the hefty weight of LPRO!? (looks like I am talking myself out of getting it!)

Nejad, the Summicron 75/2 is one of the lenses Leica lists as compatible with the ELPRO 52, e.g. the table in this article:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2018/08/leica-releases-elpro-52-close-up-lens-set/

• Like 1

• 2 years later...