News about the firmware update 3.0 for the SL2

3 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

You were indeed one of the first I thought of when I first read about ver 3.0 a few minutes ago.

I think we should all send him a big thank you notes for sharing his notes with the public .  He did not mention anything about the 2.1 firmware on the SL2-S though 😄

Very happy to have to update.. still for me it needs some testing before I start celebrating improved AF.. so far more impressed by the highlight weighted metering.  From my very quick attempts at tracking (dog, chickens, sheep) nice to see less pulsing, from simply reviewing results on camera, not noticing any huge increase in well locked on images, happy to see comments so far, seems some have found improvements very quickly. Hoping for the best obviously.   

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Very happy to have to update.. still for me it needs some testing before I start celebrating improved AF.. so far more impressed by the highlight weighted metering.  From my very quick attempts at tracking (dog, chickens, sheep) nice to see less pulsing, from simply reviewing results on camera, not noticing any huge increase in well locked on images, amazed at comments so far, you are all much quicker than me at drawing your conclusions.  Hoping for the best obviously.   

Good to know about your "less pulsing" finding. One of my first questions. Thank you. However, as I posted, even with the pulsing while in AFC mode in the previous firmware version, I and others found very accurate hit rate while editing in the images in post. Albeit the pulsing in the EVF doesn't give immediate confidence.

Now comes the work! I was just getting up to speed with the SL2 overall. Ready and willing to spend the next several days checking out new features and any improvements. 

Edited by LBJ2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, LBJ2 said:

Good to know about your "less pulsing" finding. One of my first questions. Thank you. However, as I posted, even with the pulsing while in AFC mode in the previous firmware version, I and others found very accurate hit rate while editing in the images in post. Albeit the pulsing in the EVF doesn't give immediate confidence.

I would agree, never considered the pulsing to have an actual impact on amount of keepers.. the camera has either locked on or not, just can be distracting (irritating), I have got used to it but it's nice to see the improvement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boojay said:

I would agree, never considered the pulsing to have an actual impact on amount of keepers.. the camera has either locked on or not, just can be distracting (irritating), I have got used to it but it's nice to see the improvement.

From what I am finding, the pulsing in AFC is the DFD action = a continuous loop of high speed AF confirmation. See my post here with my theory and illustration . In my mind is the reason for the very high accuracy I am seeing. 

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1718668/1#15714673

Edited by LBJ2

Are you kidding?  Has this been fixed???? This has been the biggest waste of money…..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 minute ago, Jim B said:

Are you kidding?  Has this been fixed???? This has been the biggest waste of money…..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

you are still in need of a battery grip and or USB power brick

Just now, Photoworks said:

you are still in need of a battery grip and or USB power brick

What lens is that, and how much charge was there in the camera?

We already know that the battery issue will never be fully resolved with EOS lenses, given that they can't communicate their power requirements. We also know that the warning is normal (and informative) if the battery is actually low.

8 minutes ago, BernardC said:

What lens is that, and how much charge was there in the camera?

We already know that the battery issue will never be fully resolved with EOS lenses, given that they can't communicate their power requirements. We also know that the warning is normal (and informative) if the battery is actually low.

Was above 75%

It is a big issue using EF adapter like sigma and Canon tilt-shift lenses, or some of the Cinema lenses EF I have.

No solution!

On 7/9/2021 at 9:00 AM, elviskennedy said:

Sales/marketing definitions for your reference:

Tomorrow = 11:59 pm tomorrow 

Next week = Next Friday

Next Month = Last day of next month

First/Second/Third/Fourth Quarter = Last day of such quarter

Later this Year = December 31

Next Year = December 31 of next year

Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter = Last day of such season

Based on the above, do not expect the SL2 update (to catch up to SL2 S features) until September 20 (last day of summer).

Nailed it!

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

Was above 75%

It is a big issue using EF adapter like sigma and Canon tilt-shift lenses, or some of the Cinema lenses EF I have.

No solution!

As I said, I doubt we will see a full solution with EF lenses. They don't communicate power draw like L-Mount lenses do.

You should ask Sigma about their own EF lenses, maybe they can do something in the adapter firmware. I doubt they will do anything about the Canon-brand lenses, since they don't officially support those.

6 hours ago, BernardC said:

As I said, I doubt we will see a full solution with EF lenses. They don't communicate power draw like L-Mount lenses do.

You should ask Sigma about their own EF lenses, maybe they can do something in the adapter firmware. I doubt they will do anything about the Canon-brand lenses, since they don't officially support those.

I don't think there are any changes to improve EF, but the cinema lenses don't have any electronic contacts and I get same error 

Just a summary of experience.  

FW 3.0 updated faultlessly on two SL2 bodies.

24-90 / 90-280 - no FW update (both 2.1)

APO 35/75 both updated automatically to 2.1 when attached to the camera and camera powered on.

Video updates of no interest to me currently - however, I look forward to testing improvements in AF capability in different modes when I have time.

Thank you Leica for pulling all of this together.  Chapeau!

👍