News about the firmware update 3.0 for the SL2

11 hours ago, MediaFotografie said:

ups - really? I don‘t recognize this, no good news

Sorry, let me clarify. I'm talking about photography lenses. Their last lens was the Otus 100mm f1.4, released in April 2019

https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products/int/home/content/newsroom/news-overview/2019/zeiss-otus-1-4-100.html

and before that, the only other lens released was the 40mm in Sony mount in 2018. 

So there hasn't been any new lens in over 2 years, and even in 2018-2019 releases have been very sporadic and slow, which is a very bad sign for us.

I see Zeiss recently released a set of cinema lenses and a smartphone collaboration, so maybe they've decided to focus their effort somewhere else.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slender said:

Leica surely wouldn't be pleased about that....

I suppose they wouldn’t be, but I’m no snitch. 

On a separate note. Leica Germany finally responded to me, telling me that once they have news about the firmware to share, they will be sharing it on all channels, but still no indication or update on timing. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I see Zeiss recently released a set of cinema lenses and a smartphone collaboration, so maybe they've decided to focus their effort somewhere else.

Zeiss really hasn't done much for stills cameras since the Otus and ZM lines were originally released (10 years ago?). Photographic lenses are a tiny vanity project for them, barely making any contribution to their billion dollar bottom line. Maybe they'll get back in the game in the future, but for now I doubt they'll do much more than license the name to third parties like Sony and Cosina.

24 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Zeiss really hasn't done much for stills cameras since the Otus and ZM lines were originally released (10 years ago?). 

There's also the Batis line and the Loxia line on Sony. Six Batis and four Loxia lenses, for a total of 10 lenses for Sony FE, all released between 2015 and 2019.

The main difference is that Batis are AF, Loxia are manual focus.

This is not including the initial collaborations like the 55mm or the 35mm 1.4.

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

There's also the Batis line and the Loxia line on Sony. Six Batis and four Loxia lenses, for a total of 10 lenses for Sony FE, all released between 2015 and 2019.

This is not including the initial collaborations like the 55mm or the 35mm 1.4.

The Loxia seem to be a re-hash of the ZM lenses, manufactured by a third party in Japan. I'd love to see that lineup in L-Mount, even though they always came across as a "no effort" product: take existing designs, make minimal changes for digital, get someone else to build them.

I would be interested in knowing if the Batis are "Sony-Zeiss" or if they were actually 100% Zeiss (with manufacturing farmed-out). Sony seems to be confident enough to promote they own G-Master lenses these days, so they probably don't need Zeiss' imprint on SLR lenses anymore.

Zeiss is doing quite well in medical and industrial markets. I don't think we'll see more than the occasional vanity project in the consumer photography field. It's too bad, but they really left that market 20 years ago, around the time that Kyocera and Hasselblad stopped placing new orders.

23 minutes ago, BernardC said:

The Loxia seem to be a re-hash of the ZM lenses, manufactured by a third party in Japan. I'd love to see that lineup in L-Mount, even though they always came across as a "no effort" product: take existing designs, make minimal changes for digital, get someone else to build them.

I would be interested in knowing if the Batis are "Sony-Zeiss" or if they were actually 100% Zeiss (with manufacturing farmed-out). Sony seems to be confident enough to promote they own G-Master lenses these days, so they probably don't need Zeiss' imprint on SLR lenses anymore.

Zeiss is doing quite well in medical and industrial markets. I don't think we'll see more than the occasional vanity project in the consumer photography field. It's too bad, but they really left that market 20 years ago, around the time that Kyocera and Hasselblad stopped placing new orders.

Yes I think you are right, especially the Loxia 50mm lens design is basically a rehoused Planar, the rest seems to have only minor adjustments (???) to avoid corner issues on Sony sensors.

I think the Batis are true Zeiss though. These have enough fancy tech like the LCD display, their rendering is fairly consistent and also different from the G master series.

It's a shame, I'd love to see more M and even some L lenses

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BernardC said:

I very much enjoy Zeiss Batis lenses on my Sony cameras. Very different IMO to those early Sony Zeiss lenses. Two, well passed around Tamron patents some years back indicate which Zeiss partner might be behind at least two of the Zeiss Batis lenses. 

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1

Well if Panasonic comes up with significantly more improvements on their S1R on more firmware updates and the S1 series bodies are compatible with more 3rd party flash makers, I will migrate my SL lenses over to Panasonic cameras in the next S1R replacement rather than SL2's replacement. It is a shame that Leica forces me to move on although I love their lenses.

26 minutes ago, MrQ said:

trying to cheer up hopefuls: counting the days to end of summer, as of today September 16th, we are only 6 days away 😁

Yup, and that's the exact amount of time I'm willing to wait before giving Dan Tamarkin a call about selling my SL2 if the update isn't available by then. 

Edited by TheGerman

I think it is easy to find a solution. Simply buy both a S1R and a SL2. SL2 owners simply add the S1R or maybe a S5 if the resolution is sufficient. Not very expensive. (Used equipment).

Will I do it ? No probably not ....      I have too many cameras already.  🤫💎🤧

How good is the AF in the fp L ? It would be interesting to try this 60 MP sensor .....

Edited by caissa

Let’s face it chaps/chapesses. If we wanted the latest fastest most tech superior camera body , we’d be looking to canon or Nikon , for me , the SL2 is great as is and when they improve the firmware, we’ll things will only get better!  Til then I’m content to wait and contemplate the fact that my MP will NEVER need a software update and will probably long outlast the SL system in its entirety…. It’s about the image, not the bells and whistles

that said ,  what is the official Leica take on the software update?     Ready when it’s ready suits me.   They will be too busy with the M11 right now 🙄🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2