News about the firmware update 3.0 for the SL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This evening there was an interesting zoom session on the SL2s and the firmware update from the Leica Academy. They confirmed that the update for the SL2 is coming in July and includes all the features of the update for the SL2s - only the 29 minute film time limit seems to remain.

Great!     😃

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

vor 6 Stunden schrieb caissa:

Is this red dot or is it from Wetzlar ? Can you add the link ?

...it was a course of Leica Akademie (Germany) about the SL2s and the Firmware Update; something like this:

https://leicaakademieusa.com/

here's a overview about the german courses:

https://store.leica-camera.com/de/de/online-training-produkte?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210504_News_DE&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fstore.leica-camera.com%2fde%2fde%2fonline-training-produkte.

• Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb LocalHero1953:

Hmm, as a SL2-S owner before and after the f/w update, and as a SL and, for a short while, SL2 owner,

Why you don´t have the SL2-s and SL2 anymore? What you got instead? And why?

4 minutes ago, i-Leica said:

Why you don´t have the SL2-s and SL2 anymore? What you got instead? And why?

I still have the SL2-S. I owned the SL since launch, sold it last summer and bought the SL2. I then traded the SL2 for the SL2-S when it was launched. Because of lockdown, I did not have much time to evaluate the SL2's AF performance in the four months I owned it, but I much prefer the colour and low light performance of the SL2-S. FWIW I also have the CL and Sigma fp.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I've been comparing both SL2 and SL2-S cameras side by side with matching AF settings and same SL lenses and the SL2-s with FW 2.0 is way ahead in terms of focus tracking. Also in Face detection mode in the same light settings the SL2 will often only recognise and track a persons body (green box around them) while the SL2-S FW 2.0 is consistently recognising and tracking ( green box around ) the persons face. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I wrote, I did not have the SL2 long enough to compare its AF capabilities with the SL2-S. With the SL2-S with and without the new firmware, I find AFs good, but face and body tracking is only good as long as there are no other people in the frame. If they are, then I find the selected person/face jumps around too much to be reliable. So it works well for portraits, say, but not for events - I used the SL2-S at a wedding on Saturday, and face/body AF was just too distracting/inconsistent with so many people around. Yes, I know I can't expect the camera to know which person I want to focus on, but I do expect it to pick one and stay with them long enough for me to take the shot.

AFAIC this is all part of the learning experience with the new eye/face/body tracking system that came in with the SL2, and has been improved since. I just need to know when to use it, when not to, and how to switch between different AF methods quickly. The system is good enough for me and my uses. I don't doubt (from reports by others) that Sony, Canon etc can do AF tracking better - what I DO get from Leica is more important than slicker AF.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Eclectic Man:

I would hope that it incorporates a sensor cleaning mode, like the vibration effect used by other cameras (including the SL).

as far as I know this isn‘t possible because SL2 misses the hardware components for sensor/dust cleaning (these are different from IBIS) 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone has news about the potential upcoming firmware for the SL2? In one of the last Leica webcasts (YT stream about the new Vario 2,8/24-70) they mentioned that the firmware will come in June/ July with similar or same improvements as for the SL2-S.

In particular I am wondering (and hoping) that the video recording limit <30min will be gone/ removed (even so I don't think it will happen...given the "video recording tax" and the released SL2-S) and I do hope for Autofocus improvements (tracking/ improved Eye-AF).

Anyone? 

- improvement of the AF: it should pe (per minimum) the level of the competitors on the market in that price tag..... I don't want to say: sorry, it's only a Leica - the af isn't that fast as

- power managment: it should be possible taking 500 pictures over one day with one battery. Actually this takes me per minimum 3 batterys - that's not only inconvenient it's also expensive.

... just my two cents

Leica should improve their software leadership!  

1 hour ago, Liehn Jean-Claude said:

I would be very disappointed  not to have perspective control in the next update.

Well you may be in for it then. But why bother when LR is so good at redressing those lines up?

I suspect there is a substantial base of Leica users only using jpegs out of their car-priced camera kits.... but is it really unreasonable to assume most users who do-need control perspective are better off traking control over their DNG files in post-production anyway?

• Thanks 1