M10M gate coming?

overexposed

Ennh.

Just about every camera maker reads their sensors via dual channel readouts. It speeds up data acquisition, like using two aisles to get the audience out of a theater faster than just one aisle.

(Some Pro sports/action cameras used 4 channels (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right) to shorten the between-shot times even more.)

The channels have to be balanced, and usually are. If they aren't, they can be adjusted by the factory. Simple warranty repair (or in a bad case, replacement).

• Like 2

Digiloyd has a history of crying wolf without any understanding of the alleged problem (SL AF issue-- storm in a teacup, M camera focus shift with red filters - lack of basic photographic knowledge, etc.) If this were a realistic problem, the forum would be filled with threads, - as with his report "including failing to fix camera crashes (total lockups) which I experienced at least a dozen times in my one-week trip over XMAS" 
A dozen times? And nobody else?

Andy's explanation appears to be the rational one.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, andybarton said:

I can't even see what the alleged problem is, even with the largest files he has shared.

i can clearly see the white dots all over the image, i had similar dots on my 246 while long exposures.

and on the top center of the largest image you can see the different brightness. which shows the sensor isnt one piece.

which gave me the idea that the supplier of the sensors might be dalsa? they had done this for the phase one backs. to tile the sensor pieces up to one unit

1 minute ago, overexposed said:

and on the top center of the largest image you can see the different brightness. which shows the sensor isnt one piece.

....no. The sensor is one piece. It is just that each side connects to different output contacts.

A V-8 engine block is one piece - but it has 8 spark-plug wires leading out. Same idea.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, overexposed said:

i can clearly see the white dots all over the image, i had similar dots on my 246 while long exposures.

I can see the white dot on black dot thing, but I had to get within an inch of my Mac 5K monitor, with my glasses off, to see the very slight difference in brightness in the sky.

As has been said above, if this was a common problem, we would have heard about it long ago.

• Haha 1

The "white points on black" sample just looks like tracks from a herd of deer (or elk, bighorn sheep, etc.) on the sand. We get those all over the place in Colorado (Sand Dunes Natl. Monument, Calhan Paint Mines (below), any place there is sand, mud, or snow).

M9, 75mm Summilux.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I also wonder if digilloyd (or the OP) understand that Leica sensors are always made with no anti-aliasing (blurring) filter. Unlike most other digital cameras.

Which means there will be occasional aliasing artifacts in some details if the lens is sharp enough (which many Leica lenses are, even at 47Mpixels).

It is an intentional trade-off to get maximum resolution across the whole picture.

I would like to see a close up of what was actually there - rather than jumping to panicked conclusions. It is called "science"

BTW - what is the meaning of "gate" in the headline?

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, adan said:

....no. The sensor is one piece. It is just that each side connects to different output contacts.

A V-8 engine block is one piece - but it has 8 spark-plug wires leading out. Same idea.

I just checked. In my car I can only find 6 and in my wife’s car only 2..... do I have the sensor problem?

• Haha 7

42 minutes ago, adan said:

BTW - what is the meaning of "gate" in the headline?

I understand it to be a reference to 'Watergate' and the subsequent adding of the suffix '-gate' to a noun to connote scandal.  Often employed to arouse emotional responses such as hysteria, dismay, disgust or resentment  at the expense of reasoned evidence-based inquiries.  

Edited by FDS
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That readout issue was clearly visible on the S006 and S2 as well, but only if you pushed the files dramatically (on my six year old camera, it took 3 stops or so before it was visible. The dots do indeed look problematic, as they appear to be regular, not random. Not an ideal situation. My S3 has banding and single pixel noise in pushed shadows, but no readout issue.

9 hours ago, Rob L said:

I'm pretty sure color filters do create some degree of focus shift that might impact landscape use. I've been meaning to break out the VisoFlex and check it out

Color filters cause Focus shift due to chromatic aberration, similar to stopping the aperture down causes focus shift due to spherical aberration.

This has been around as long as B&W photography. Leica is one of the few companies that still offers Monochrome Digital cameras.

APO and Ultra-Achromats minimize this issue, much the way that aspherical optics minimize focus shift due to spherical aberrations.

I shimmed a couple of my lenses for the M Monochrom to account for this effect, roughly 0.02mm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1