So...how good is that Summilux 35mm f1.4

On 12/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, Porchpockler said:

Thanks...have you used both?  Is it really that close?  I have the 30 and was wondering how much difference I'd see investing in the 35mm...

I have owned the Summilux 35. I now own the Sigma 30. The Sigma is very good. 

I find the lighter weight to be much more enjoyable to carry. 

Edited by oldwino

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven’t done any side-by-side testing. 
I can say that the Leica has more CA wide open than I had expected (or hoped for). And the Sigma has CA wide open, too, but not more than the Leica, and is more easily forgiven because of the price. 

• 1 month later...

I have both and I’m certainly no expert, and I haven’t used both in enough situations to make sound conclusions. I’ve only had the 35 TL a couple of weeks. That said I’ve taken a few shots with the 35 TL that make me stop and literally say “oh my.”

I have a great respect for what Sigma is doing from a price and quality standpoint. I got mine stupidly cheap during a Black Friday sale. I’m thinking the IQ of the 30mm is on par with the 23 mm TL. I’m interested in seeing how long the less expensive glass lasts. From my experience with sport optics, less expensive glass would get foggy or dust inside after a short time. 

10 hours ago, Shawn30 said:

I have both and I’m certainly no expert, and I haven’t used both in enough situations to make sound conclusions. I’ve only had the 35 TL a couple of weeks. That said I’ve taken a few shots with the 35 TL that make me stop and literally say “oh my.”

I have a great respect for what Sigma is doing from a price and quality standpoint. I got mine stupidly cheap during a Black Friday sale. I’m thinking the IQ of the 30mm is on par with the 23 mm TL. I’m interested in seeing how long the less expensive glass lasts. From my experience with sport optics, less expensive glass would get foggy or dust inside after a short time. 

I don't own either, but I agree with Shawn. The TL 35 can be an "oh my" kind of a lens. Not in the same league, of course, but sometimes evoking the same expression as the M50 f/2 APO. On certain occasions, there's just something special about the rendering.

If you are looking after the Leica modern look (Peter Karbe era) Summilux-TL 35mm is the lens you want. 
Its issues : size & weight and chromatic aberrations. 

Sigma DC DN trio is very nice. But their rendering is different enough to be noticeable at first glance. They will not blend nicely among photos from other Leica modern era lenses. 
Most noticeable is their warm colour cast. Quite different from the cold and saturated colours from Leica’s. 
With Sigma’s you will not get the fantastic reds, bright yellows nor the deep blues. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

Been out with my sigma again recently, I’ve acquired a Q2 so don’t use the CL much anymore but I still feel that it doesn’t really give away anything significant to the TL 

Mind you I prefer my old 40mm summicron (original CL) to both if you’re happy to manually focus?