This is why I bought an M10R

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would remind members that fighting is prohibited on this forum. I had to delete 26 posts, including collateral damage to innocent bystanders, which doesn't do the coherence of the thread much good. Please stick to cameras and leave personal animosities out of it.

Please carry on with Jono's most informative thread within the forum rules.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I don't buy any of the arguments why IBIS can't be put in the M10-sized body M11. I keep it simple, Panasonic S1/S1R have IBIS, SL2 has IBIS. Panasonic S5 has IBIS, M11 will have IBIS. 

Later on I will show that if one has the APO 50 and stops it down to f/4, one doesn't need an M10-R nor an S3. 😂

• Like 1

Actually, allow me to post one here because I just discovered Topaz DeNoise AI which is amazing. It affords a lot more malleability to the files, it seems.

The less compressed JPEGs here can be downloaded: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F6NRmF/

EDIT - In case anyone wants the DNG, I can provide it.

M10-P + APO 50 Summicron as shot

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 200 f/2.8 1/2000 sec.

Same as above but processed to taste and treated with Topaz DeNoise AI.

Edited by Chaemono
Offer to provide link to download the DNG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Actually, allow me to post one here because I just discovered Topaz DeNoise AI which is amazing. It affords a lot more malleability to the files, it seems.

The less compressed JPEGs here can be downloaded: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F6NRmF/

EDIT - In case anyone wants the DNG, I can provide it.

M10-P + APO 50 Summicron as shot

ISO 200 f/2.8 1/2000 sec.

Same as above but processed to taste and treated with Topaz DeNoise AI.

Chaemono, the difference is quite striking and the result feels natural and not overdone.

It's an impressive tool. These are the settings in Topaz DeNoise AI for the picture posted in #145. I just pressed the Auto button.

• Like 2

DeNoise gives full control, Sharpen will remove noise to a certain level (slider) in relationship to the sharpening - does a pretty good job, though. The nice thing about Sharpen is that it modulates the sharpening across the image after analysis, which the DeNoise sharpening doesn't do.

4 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

It's an impressive tool. These are the settings in Topaz DeNoise AI for the picture posted in #145. I just pressed the Auto button.

The presets (left-hand panel, not shown here) give rather good  starting points.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chaemono said:

I don't buy any of the arguments why IBIS can't be put in the M10-sized body M11. I keep it simple, Panasonic S1/S1R have IBIS, SL2 has IBIS. Panasonic S5 has IBIS, M11 will have IBIS. 

Later on I will show that if one has the APO 50 and stops it down to f/4, one doesn't need an M10-R nor an S3. 😂

Love the title of the new thread by the way, BUT for those of us who have an M10/P but no  50 APO on hand, trading in the 10 for the 10R is not only the much cheaper option but all your lenses get a boost for "free".

Edited by Kwesi
added "new"
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Love the title of the new thread by the way, BUT for those of us who have an M10/P but no  50 APO on hand, trading in the 10 for the 10R is not only the much cheaper option but all your lenses get a boost for "free".

Well . . You could always have both!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Excellent - and thanks to Jaap as well. I’ve just paid the piper (just for Sharpen AI to start with).

If it doesn’t work I’ll send you a bill 🤪

• Haha 4

I'm impressed by these topaz samples.

There is also a very good filter buried in a sea of awful ones in the NIK collection called 'tonal contrast'. Used carefully you can extract a crazy amount of detail out of images very easily and quickly, lower res cameras too. It's really quite remarkable and like a camera upgrade. It can look overcooked quite easily though so care in it's application is needed.

I personally like noise and find it's just a case of evening it out.

I have an enormous Drum scan of a blank 5x4 blank frame for grain that I resize and add to every print I make. It's also an industry standard way to make a very large print from 24MP look exceptionally better and a lot less digital.

Sometimes I intentionally use the M9 especially for it's noise. Actually at ISO 640 the M9 really sings, the colour, tone and noise mix together to make something truly wonderful and unique.

Noise reduction and people's quest to remove noise, I think, can really suck a lot of life and soul out of an image. To me it's like sharpening and over sharpening. Apart from necessary output sharpening I turn it all off.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chaemono said:

I'm sure they will work it out some day when they can design the structure so it sits forward of the sensor and wraps around it. With the current units it's impossible because, for example, look how far back the film sits on a film M body, it's really pushed right back to the edge of the camera. The fact they have made a digital M body was an achievement enough!

All the modern mirorless designs: Sony, Nikon, Canon, Leica, Panasonic etc. have shallow flange distances so they have room at the back of the camera for all this extra stuff. The M is an old design that needs the entire depth of the body just to capture the image. Adding IBIS with current knowhow would add a lot of thickness to it.

While it certainly helps to have, IBIS really isn't *needed for a good while. Sony has just beaten people to the punch and marketed it in a way that makes people feel they need it.

Edited by Dr No

It would be nice to have for indoor family shots at 1600 or lower ISO. I get along fine as is but typically have it set to 1600-3200 and wide open      

I would like to be able to stop down a few stops without jacking up the iso.