This is why I bought an M10R

jonoslack

17 minutes ago, harryzet said:

i usually expose correct and therefore dont need a leica m10-r

Well Harry 

Good point (and so do I when I can)

But you couldn't have exposed this properly on the M10, because I already used the maximum possible exposure (ISO 100 at 1/4000th) You might of course argue that you never want to shoot wide open in bright light, or that you could use an ND filter. But 1/2 stop over-exposure will ruin M10 pictures, even at 200 ISO - so the implication here is that you have about 3 extra stops on the M10-R (that's 100 - to 200 ISO plus the 2.35 stops in post processing).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

ETTR with details preserved in the highlights. M10 can do this at ISO 200.

Even if I agreed (which I don't) you would need at the very least 1/8,000 to do it and where will you find that?

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 1

Well, I guess if one can recover both highlights and shadows so well, it gets harder and harder to justify using film. 😄

Jono,

Do you feel the native base ISO of the 10R to be 100? (not that the point changes your demonstration).

24 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Then I’ll just stop down the lens a bit. 

Of course - but I did say why I bought one (not why you should buy one), and I do shoot a lot in very high contrast situations (often with only a glimpse of bright light) and I do like to shoot wide open - and for me, what amounts to 3 stops of extra headroom is really important

Edited by jonoslack
typos
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Well, I guess if one can recover both highlights and shadows so well, it gets harder and harder to justify using film. 😄

Jono,

Do you feel the native base ISO of the 10R to be 100? (not that the point changes your demonstration).

Hi There

I guess it does - but maybe you should justify using film because it's charming, and because of the process (rather than for direct technical reasons)

Yes - I'm sure it's 100 (just a little less than 100  I think, but I can't remember absolutely)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd note that for someone whose opinion is as well respected as Jono's to turn around after a 'free' for a year 10-R and buy one with his own hard earned coppers tells us all something important.  What it says to non-owners is that, no BS, the 10-R is a great M. But as someone fortunate enough to have one, I already knew that part. What it says to me is that the M11 is over a year away  😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There

I guess it does - but maybe you should justify using film because it's charming, and because of the process (rather than for direct technical reasons)

Yes - I'm sure it's 100 (just a little less than 100  I think, but I can't remember absolutely)

Thanks, Jono. IIRC, someone else (not you or Sean Reid, I think) suggested something like 64--but maybe that's just my Kodachrome-influenced memory.

And yes, no rush to sell, or stop using, film, but the technical gap only increases.

• Like 1