This is why I bought an M10R

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Thanks for the article link; makes me miss my time living on the west coast.  Just one pedantic point, if I may, regarding the notion of a sensor ‘out-resolving’ a lens. See the Roger Cicala link (the Appendix at end) that I provided above (post#253.)

And as I also noted, my experience suggests that higher resolving sensors reveal (often for the better) the character of a lens, rather than destroying it. Older lenses on modern cameras is a popular topic in the various camera sections of the forum.

Jeff

Yes, I'm never sure about the resolving power back and forth issues (cameras/lenses). I will say that I have been continually amazed by the "sharpness" of my APO 50mm ever since my first CCD Monochrom. And continue with each new M camera.

6 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Although I really like the M10-R, I’ve thought seriously about adding an M10M.

I'm on the other side of the mountain from you. With  a M10M in hand, I've thought seriously about adding a M10-R. I'd love to meet up sometime, but I suspect our wallets would not appreciate it. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, t00l1024 said:

I'm on the other side of the mountain from you. With  a M10M in hand, I've thought seriously about adding a M10-R. I'd love to meet up sometime, but I suspect our wallets would not appreciate it. 😜

If you truly want to be the mirror universe version, get the color Q2 = Q2 + M10M versus Q2M + M10-R. Hah.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hdmesa said:

If you truly want to be the mirror universe version, get the color Q2 = Q2 + M10M versus Q2M + M10-R. Hah.

Hehe. I sold the Q2 for a SL2, each with their own APO 50. Lust over the M10-R, but enough is enough. Or is it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, t00l1024 said:

Hehe. I sold the Q2 for a SL2, each with their own APO 50. Lust over the M10-R, but enough is enough. Or is it?

I have the R5 with the near-APO RF 50 f/1.2, so I guess enough is not enough 😁

What we really need to confuse the situation is an SL2 Monochrom.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Many here have noticed that the higher resolving sensors typically reveal, rather than destroy, the ‘character’ of a lens.

We noticed this when the Monochrom v1came out. There were numerous discussions here about whether it was better with the newer or older lenses.
All lenses were fabulous on it.  It was just that we had not previously had access to a sensor with such performance.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, MarkP said:

We noticed this when the Monochrom v1came out. There were numerous discussions here about whether it was better with the newer or older lenses.
All lenses were fabulous on it.  It was just that we had not previously had access to a sensor with such performance.

Indeed. Rinse and repeat with each new generation of higher resolving M bodies.

Jeff

11 hours ago, t00l1024 said:

enough is enough. Or is it?

When I update my personal property policy that covers the camera gear and I see the number (total value covered) on the bottom of the page, I know for sure, I have enough. That page is marked “🔥burn after reading🔥.”

Edited by SoarFM
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 6:12 PM, jonoslack said:

Jono ask me to add this. Here are some further explanations:

I’m afraid I haven’t spelt out what I’m getting at on this post. The point is that you can shoot the M10-R in brighter light conditions than the M10, M or M9. Without using ND filters. 
This wouldn’t matter to everyone, but I often want to shoot with the lens wide open in very bright high contrast situations (generally people rather than boats!). 

The base ISO of the M10-R already gives you 1 stop advantage (100 vs M10’s 200). In addition to this you can recover a lot more information than you can with the previous M cameras. 

Thanks to Dr No for pointing this out so clearly in post #78

I've been trying to think of a simple way of describing it, and here it is

So This boat was shot with the 50 'lux at f1.4, and at 100 ISO at 1/4000th second

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is the developed image with 2.35 stops of under exposure

and here they are side by side 

Here you are Scott:

All the best

Has anyone tried the “boat recovery experiment” side by side with the M10? 

I’d be curious to see how far the M10 can go in comparison with the R when faced with this scenario. 

• Like 1

See the first post of this thread. 
It says the M10R can recover an image from heavy over exposure better than the M10 could. 
This has been confirmed by many, me included. 
I’m just curious to know/see if an actually side by side of overexposure recovery has been done with the two cameras. 
Owning both cameras, I could do it myself. But it’s raining today. Difficult to overexpose! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Has anyone tried the “boat recovery experiment” side by side with the M10? 

More or less

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1703545

Edit

ops that wasn’t the test I thought it was, but i’ll leave the link up (and keep looking) as it’s interesting enough imo

Edited by Adam Bonn

• 6 months later...
On 8/21/2020 at 12:12 PM, jonoslack said:

The base ISO of the M10-R already gives you 1 stop advantage (100 vs M10’s 200). In addition to this you can recover a lot more information than you can with the previous M cameras. 

Thank you for the comparison! Have you done the same for the shadows detail too? Some people think M10 has one stop to one and half stop better (less noisy) shadows recovery. I also see in some reviews that M10-R picture is noisier than M10 in general. Doesn't that explain Leica just adjusted the exposure curve to pull down the highlights and brighten the midtones and lift the shadows adjusting the black point at the same time in-camera before writing the DNG in M10R? DR charts actually show both cameras DR are very similar.

So I think you could just expose a bit under and then in post process lift midtones and shadows in M10 and get pretty similar result to M10-R. But of course I'm sure Leica does much more than that in their firmware, no doubt.

I'm just wondering if anyone did a comparison for the shadows recovery too?