When is Leica stopping the M10 Monochrom freezing

strohscw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

my m10m made already 2 times the trip to Wetzlar for this issue

I was not waiting for the gadget "perspective control", all things one can do in LR,  but for the solving of the "freezing" problem.

Unfortunately after installing the upgrade 3,21,2,50 on my m10m, the freezing keeps going on !!

Oh, man.  Sorry to hear that!  I was hoping the new firmware would help.  If it’s simply cramming too much energy/electronics into a small package, then at least it should shutdown the camera and give a warning.  Not acceptable, but better than potentially causing permanent damage.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my M10M for 3 months and this freezing problem happened for the first time today twice on a street shooting walk within minutes apart.  The live view worked but couldn’t do anything not even shutting camera off so had to remove the battery. I am thinking about what I did today that might have caused this when this problem did not manifest itself. Before I have always shot with 3 Leica lenses - 28/1.4, 35/1.4 asph, 50/1.4 asph. The 35mm is uncoded and I select coding manually. Today I was shooting with a Voigtlander 28/3.5 with a Voigtlander adapter and manually coded as 28mm Summaron. Doesn’t make sense this can be the reason. I’ll go out again later with my 28mm Summilux and see if it does it again. The other day shooting with the 28mm Summilux I had live view on the entire time composing with the rear screen with no issues.

Because the camera froze twice within minutes in between I surmise it was probably triggered by the Power Savings Mode which was set to 5 minutes. I turned off Power savings and brought an extra battery.  Went out again for two hours with the 50mm Summilux Asph with no problems. I don’t like Power Savings anyway having missed shots due to camera on siesta.

Edited by rtai

Power saving is an interesting thought.

I was shooting with the 50 Summilux ASPH (coded) when it first happened to me.

As for my camera, it’s on its way back to me now as my dealer could not replicate the problem and said it is probably not a good idea to send on to Leica service.  I tried to say that before sending back to him, but he was nearly insistent that we try.  Anyway, maybe the problem won’t come back.  If it does, I will capture the issue on video and insist on service.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, rtai said:

Because the camera froze twice within minutes in between I surmise it was probably triggered by the Power Savings Mode which was set to 5 minutes. I turned off Power savings and brought an extra battery.  Went out again for two hours with the 50mm Summilux Asph with no problems. I don’t like Power Savings anyway having missed shots due to camera on siesta.

I have had my M10M for just over a year and generally use it with the normal VF.  When I have used it in LiveView (mostly with Visoflex, sometimes with the rear screen) it would lock-up randomly, necessitating battery removal.  Trying the different power saving settings made no difference.  This afternoon I spent a little while with power saving disabled and with LiveView activated (Visoflex plus uncoded lens) the camera behaved.  Will have to try it with a longer session (this one was about 35 minutes)

On 2/21/2021 at 7:43 AM, frame-it said:

I did install it before sending my camera off to my dealer; I did not get any lock-ups after the install but need more time to feel conclusive about any effect.

Edited by rgeorge911

17 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

I have had my M10M for just over a year and generally use it with the normal VF.  When I have used it in LiveView (mostly with Visoflex, sometimes with the rear screen) it would lock-up randomly, necessitating battery removal.  Trying the different power saving settings made no difference.  This afternoon I spent a little while with power saving disabled and with LiveView activated (Visoflex plus uncoded lens) the camera behaved.  Will have to try it with a longer session (this one was about 35 minutes)

Since that initial incident I have been shooting with the M10M every day for around 2 hours a day just walking around with power savings disabled, sometimes with live view on and happy to say did not encounter any further problems. I don’t have the Visoflex. The reason why I am using the M10 and not the SL2 is because of the optical viewfinder.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Was wondering if there is any fix available for the M10M from freezing.  It happens at least once every time I am out making images.  The only way to undo is to undo the bottom plate and re-attach.  Any help would much be appreciated.  Thank  You.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:50 PM, dstierer said:

Was wondering if there is any fix available for the M10M from freezing.  It happens at least once every time I am out making images.  The only way to undo is to undo the bottom plate and re-attach.  Any help would much be appreciated.  Thank  You.

My two M10M-s never freeze, so I cannot speak from experience.

Did you install latest firmware? Which SD card are you using? Did you try a different SD card?

Good luck.

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

My two M10M-s never freeze, so I cannot speak from experience.

Did you install latest firmware? Which SD card are you using? Did you try a different SD card?

Good luck.

Yes, I installed the latest firmware, and I have tried different SD cards.

What do you use and recommend as SD cards for the M10M?

I have heard that the SD the cards do make a difference.

Thank you for your input.

D

3 hours ago, dstierer said:

Yes, I installed the latest firmware, and I have tried different SD cards.

What do you use and recommend as SD cards for the M10M?

I have heard that the SD the cards do make a difference.

Thank you for your input.

D

I am using a SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB.

Do you use Visoflex 020?

Edited by SrMi

5 hours ago, dstierer said:

Yes I do use the Visoflex

I could imagine that there is a problem with Visoflex that could cause lockups. Can you try using the camera without Visoflex (rangefinder and rear LCD only) and see if the lockups still occur?

I use Sandisk 128g and 64g Extreme SDXC UHS-1 cards. Be sure to format in the camera before using.

My M10M froze twice in one day. I turned off power saving mode and it never happened again. I don’t use this feature at all because I have missed shots when I needed the camera to be awake. I just carry another battery.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve noticed my “lock up” occurs in warm weather and when I am focus stacking, meaning I’m shooting fairly continuous for 10-15 shots.   Seems that the unit needs too cool off..nonetheless it’s frustrating.