When is Leica stopping the M10 Monochrom freezing

strohscw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I was taking pictures with my M10M together with my EVF and I had about 20 Camera freezing. In the past I thought it was a SD-card issue, but I tried several different brands without any impact on the issue.

Please Leica, the camera is now almost half a year on the market and still no firmware update that focuses that issue!

• Thanks 1

I regularly shoot with a friend, so same spots, same amount of time on site, etc.  Our respective M10M's were purchased about 1 month apart - mine first.  He uses the EVF and leaves it on - alot.  I use the EVF to focus because red filters shift the focus and the EVF is a must.  After focusing, the EVF is turned off.  He has lock ups, I don't.  I give him non-stop harassment about it and he's getting better about turning off the EVF/LV.  When he stops leaving his EVF on, the lock ups stop.

It's all anecdotal... that said, my 2¢ - limit the EVF & LV use to short bursts (like 15-30 seconds) and leave some time between uses for the heat to dissipate.  It's 100º F in Texas right and we get baked in the summer sun.  That's ~8 hours of use starting ~2 PM in the afternoon and we usually wind things up ~9-10 PM.  The cameras get alot of use - usually sitting proud on a tripod, getting irradiated by the sun.  Knock on wood, no lock ups for me thus far.  

Dollars to donuts it is related to sustained EVF use and heat generation.  My definition of "sustained" is anything past 1-2 minutes and little or no time between EVF instances.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:15 AM, strohscw said:

Yesterday I was taking pictures with my M10M together with my EVF and I had about 20 Camera freezing. In the past I thought it was a SD-card issue, but I tried several different brands without any impact on the issue.

Please Leica, the camera is now almost half a year on the market and still no firmware update that focuses that issue!

Did you make sure you have the latest firmware?

Mine was shipped with older version firmware and needed to be updated. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dkmoore:

Did you make sure you have the latest firmware?

Mine was shipped with older version firmware and needed to be updated. 

Yes, at least it´s the one I have access to: Version 2.12.8.0
Today I tried another SD-card. At the moment I have a new theory about this issue:
It happens only when using my M10M with the EVF and a fast SD-Card. I tried different brands and the only one of my cards that work are the Sandisk 128GB with 95MB/s, today I tried it and haven´t had one camera freeze. During the last weeks I tried my Sony Tough cards 256GB 277MB/s and the Sandisk 128GB 170MB/s with both I had many Camera freezes per day. So, I am not sure anymore if it is a question of brands it looks more as a question of speed.
I know that this is not very scientific but as long as Leica is not giving us a solution for this problem, I can only try to find myself a solution that works at least for me.

Edited by strohscw
  • Like 3

On 7/30/2020 at 3:41 PM, John Black said:

...He uses the EVF and leaves it on - alot.  I use the EVF to focus because red filters shift the focus and the EVF is a must.  After focusing, the EVF is turned off.  He has lock ups, I don't...

Dollars to donuts it is related to sustained EVF use and heat generation...

I do not have an EVF for my M10M - I have never had a freeze up, either.

It's interesting that M10R owners are experiencing this, too.

Edited by Herr Barnack

3 hours ago, strohscw said:

Yes, at least it´s the one I have access to: Version 2.12.8.0
Today I tried another SD-card. At the moment I have a new theory about this issue:
It happens only when using my M10M with the EVF and a fast SD-Card. I tried different brands and the only one of my cards that work are the Sandisk 128GB with 95MB/s, today I tried it and haven´t had one camera freeze. During the last weeks I tried my Sony Tough cards 256GB 277MB/s and the Sandisk 128GB 170MB/s with both I had many Camera freezes per day. So, I am not sure anymore if it is a question of brands it looks more as a question of speed.
I know that this is not very scientific but as long as Leica is not giving us a solution for this problem, I can only try to find myself a solution that works at least for me.

That is not the latest firmware. Go to leica.com and update.  That may resolve your troubles. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb dkmoore:

That is not the latest firmware. Go to leica.com and update.  That may resolve your troubles. 

Very interesting, when I go to Leica.com and look for the M10 Monochrome Firmware I find only this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To what version and where do You have access?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, strohscw said:

Very interesting, when I go to Leica.com and look for the M10 Monochrome Firmware I find only this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To what version and where do You have access?

Thanks!

I just used the drop downs on the leica website and it took me right to it. 

https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=93710&subcategory=187020&type=108942&language=all

• 1 month later...

After three weeks of M10M abstinence (used the "Color Camera" X1DII in Iceland) I took some photographs with the M10M yesterday and what shall I say, again 4 times camera freezing, even with the small Sandisk cards (formated in the camera). 😪

Now the camera is already 8 months in the market and still no solution for this issue. For me this would be more important than the Leica writing on the top plate of the camera!

• Like 2

I think that Leica is putting at the moment most energy into new models and Special Editions.

How about a Leica "M10 Monochrom N" like nonfreezing.

Sorry, but I am very disappointed because it looks like we have to live with a quite expensive camera with unfinished firmware.

• Haha 1

Hi strohscw,

Don't know if this will apply to the current M10M or M10R but I had a similar freezing problem after a firmware update on my M10.  I contacted Leica in 2019 and they sent me the procedure below.  No freezing since.   I use SD64 cards, no EVF and normally don't bracket.

Btw, I agree Leica may be working a bit much on re-issues or special editions, such as the rumored new-old M6, as a $8300 camera should work properly without the major problems such as freezing.  I have been considering a M10M or R, think I'll wait for a while...

Good luck with your issue. jDD

Emailed good ole' Leica USA with my update problem issue and they quickly responded with a solution that seems to have, at least so far, solved my camera's locking-up issue.  

FOLLOW-UP on PROBLEMS after updating to 2.7.5.0 on a M10.

Leica's suggestion was to: 

1. Turn the camera OFF.  

2. Remove battery and SD card.  

3. INSERT a fully charged battery.  

4. DO NOT insert a SD card at this time.  

5. Turn ON camera.  

6. Go to RESET menu and initiate a reset of basic settings.  (I maintained the NUMBERING sequenced but deleted everything else when prompted.)

7. Turn Camera OFF.  

8. INSERT SD card.  

9. Turn camera ON and you are set to go.

I tested the fix by quickly scrolling through ~100 images of both jpg's and dng's files and things seem normal.  

Thank You Leica USA.  jDD

Edited by m410
  • Like 3