Dummy Visoflex I or II

LCL999

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a rather marvellous 400mm Telyt. It has a male 39mm O.D. thread which is bigger than the standard LTM. The normal way to connect it to an M series camera is to use a 16466 M which provides the matching female thread to a male M bayonet (23mm flange-to-flange), plus a Visoflex I or II which has M-bayonet to M-bayonet to connect to the camera and is 41mm flange-to-flange. The Visoflex houses the reflex mirror plus bits sticking out to set and trigger the mirror.

Now that I have an SL, I don't need the Visoflex. It would be nice to replace it with a simple 41mm spacer with M-bayonets on each side. i.e a dummy Visoflex. Does such a thing exist?

Alternatively I could replace both the Visoflex and the16466 with a 64mm spacer, 39mm female thread to male M-bayonet. Does such a thing exist?

The third alternative is disassemble the Visoflex. I haven't tried that. If I do, what problems might I face?

I have a tube that replaces the Visoflex. It has the 39mm LTM on one side, and an M-bayonet on the other. It is called an TXBOO. It is available from time to time on the fleabay (where I bought mine). It has a special sight by the way for a viewer that has framelines, and mine has 200mm lines but I remember it also has a smaller one - probably the 400mm ones. The TXBOO is roughly 65 mm long. 

While the thread is longer it is normal 39mm pitch. I can use it as a close-up mount with a LTM lens!

It also has a tripod mount.

albert

By the way disassembly of a Visoflex is a good venue if you find someone to do it - and replace the mirror with a solid state mirror (one that doe not move)) : a few months ago, a Canon Pellix, the Eos 1N RS  was offered for sale. A great bargain; it was a few hundred bucks. The idea would then to place that mirror inside the Visoflex - an American engineer has done that trick in a small series.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Here are two images of the TXBOO in my former collection.

• Like 1

I have an original Leicaflex and use an M to R adaptor 14167 with the lens on the OUBIO/16466. So I think you just need a 14167 M to R adaptor.

I may be wrong, I was thinking that an SL was a Leicaflex model, not something digital. I wish they did not reuse model names, like the Leica CL !

And it’s nice to have something new to read in the collectors/historica section, its been almost a week since something new was posted.

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LCL999 said:

I have a rather marvellous 400mm Telyt. It has a male 39mm O.D. thread which is bigger than the standard LTM. The normal way to connect it to an M series camera is to use a 16466 M which provides the matching female thread to a male M bayonet (23mm flange-to-flange), plus a Visoflex I or II which has M-bayonet to M-bayonet to connect to the camera and is 41mm flange-to-flange. The Visoflex houses the reflex mirror plus bits sticking out to set and trigger the mirror.

Now that I have an SL, I don't need the Visoflex. It would be nice to replace it with a simple 41mm spacer with M-bayonets on each side. i.e a dummy Visoflex. Does such a thing exist?

Alternatively I could replace both the Visoflex and the16466 with a 64mm spacer, 39mm female thread to male M-bayonet. Does such a thing exist?

The third alternative is disassemble the Visoflex. I haven't tried that. If I do, what problems might I face?

The 400mm f5.0 Telyt has the standard 90mm O.D. LTM thread.  16466 / OUBIO is only used with Visoflex II/III.  The 400mm f5.0 Telyt mounts directly to Visoflex I without 16466 because it is a thicker reflex housing.  Visoflex I and Visoflex II can in both LTM and M series camera versions.

TZOON and TXBOO are the Intermediate tubes for Visoflex I.  There is an Intermediate tube for Visoflex II/III for M series cameras.  It must be from the medical catalog because the catalog number is 543195.

All Visoflex units are easy to disassemble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bridging the Visoflex distance of 41mm: ... from the microscope accessories  ...

Am 8.12.2019 um 19:03 schrieb Dao De Leitz:

# 543195  ... ( front and top )

Tilt-/Shift-Bellows-M with E. Leitz Elmarit 1:2,8 / 90mm (on Flickr / Original)

Thorsten

• Like 2

I wrote the same somewhere else concerning optical Visoflex 😉 "digital use".

:Pthis interesting thread of Visoflex

I need also a dump Visoflex III (or just a 41mm spacer to use on M10).

As I happen to own some Visoflex III and bunch of lenses, and one III without the prism,

I've done some managements to the Visoflex III 😇 to change it to false "41mm spacer ring".

A black cardboard glued on top, then I took out the mirror trigger lever and set to always mirror-up = not too bad for a M10 + Visoflex 020 use of all my old "V" lenses.

If required, the Visoflex III can be reconfigured as before in five minutes.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But... the OP wrote that he as a SL ...  so you must add another ring... 😒 and on the SL you can mount both M and R lenses... I think that with a 400mm for Viso I , the only reasonable "2 components" solution is TXBOO + M adapter for SL...  other combinations do need 3 components, which is annoying... 

On 1/17/2020 at 8:46 AM, LCL999 said:

It has a male 39mm O.D. thread which is bigger than the standard LTM.

Hi, in what way is the 39 mm OD thread "bigger" than the standard LTM which is also 39 mm OD. At least my Telyt 200 has a standard LTM, exactly the same tread/diameter as my other LTM lenses.

To solve the same problem you have I have found a 40,5 mm aluminium M39 extension tube that fits nicely inbetween the lens and the 16466 ring. It's actually 0,5 mm too short which puts the distance scale marker at the wrong position and allows to focus "beyond infinity". I've solved that with two 0,25 mm thick paper rings on both sides and now everything is exactly in the right place and the infinity setting is exactly correct.  

8 minutes ago, pegelli said:

Hi, in what way is the 39 mm OD thread "bigger" than the standard LTM which is also 39 mm OD.

I think he means that the M39 thread is longer than in the normal RF-coupled lenses :  it's indeed like this, clearly to support better the weight of long lenses (the 400 is really heavy, expecially the 1st "conical" version)

• Thanks 1

Novoflex make a V to M adapter extension tube set LEM/VIS III, which would then mount on an M to L adapter. The alternative is to use a Leitz 14127 or 14167 (I have both) V to R adapter and then an R to L adapter. Finally you could use a 14127/14167 then an R adapter M (various generations of this around from 1960's to present), finally an M adapter L. 

Wilson

4 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Novoflex make a V to M adapter extension tube set LEM/VIS III, which would then mount on an M to L adapter....

Wilson

Wilson, the LEM/VIS (I have it) has the length of a Viso II/III : the OP has a Telyt for Viso I (*)  ... he would need also an OUBIO in front of the LEM/VIS (making 3 stacked rings ... 😒)

(*) his statement is indeed a bit confused  "...plus a Visoflex I or II which has M-bayonet to M-bayonet..."  but looks clear that is a Telyt with M39 thread, to say a Viso I version.

Luigi, 

I have the same issue with my 200mm/f4.5 Telyt, when I have used that on my SL - OUBIO required. I am not sure how much stacking 4 adapters affects the imaging but it must to some extent.

I had lost my OUBIO and hours of searching did not find it. I was about to buy another when my eye fell on something that looked odd. It was my Visoflex I and what was odd was that it had an OUBIO screwed to the camera side, where it could have no possible function. I had given a talk to our local camera club a few months ago on the history of Leica and had brought along about 20 of my cameras and various lenses and accessories to illustrate. Someone had obviously thought: "I wonder if I can screw that on here?" .......and did so. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a 200 f4 Telyt Canada, a very nice lens it has a LTM mount I just attached a TZOON adapter and a LTM to M adapter attached to a Leica  M to TL adapter and I have a working lens on my CL (I try to keep it together most of the time). I also use it with a 400 Fern Kilar, not much as the lens is a handful, good for weight lifting.

One thing to note is the discrepancy between the flange to focal plane distances on Leica versus Kilfitt lenses for reflex housings.  The Leica thread mount Visoflex lenses have a 91.3mm flange to focal plane distance.  The Kilfitt KI lenses (the ones with 39mm threads) over 135mm have a 93.3mm flange to focal plane distance.  So when Kilfitt lenses are mounted at 91.3mm, some focus travel is needed to get to infinity.  That is, when Kilfitt lenses are mounted at 91.3mm, they are focused a little past infinity.  People often report that Kilfitt lenses are out of adjustment because of this discrepancy.  They are not out of adjustment; they were just made for different mounting.  Kilfitt made a 2mm shim, code COZWI, to properly adjust the lens position when a Kilfitt KI lens is mounted on a PLOOT or Visoflex I.

The Kilfitt Fern Kilar 400mm f5.6 lens is essentially the same as the Leica 400mm f5.6 Visoflex lens that you mention in your post of today.  They both are achromats which makes them physically long.  They are not true telephoto designs.  I would expect similar results from the two of them.

I posted on another thread that I acquired a Novoflex VISA adapter in a box of assorted Leica adapters, that I understand is part of the Leica to PIGRIFF B/C follow focus system. It is of no use to me and I will happily pass it on to anyone else FOC other than postage. PM me if you would like it. It has a Leica M male bayonet on one side and a male PIGRIFF B/C adapter on the other side. 

Wilson