"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m looking forward to seeing and reading about the SL2 after it is released, as we all are. The Leica SoHo store in New York are hosting an open house to show off the SL2 on 12/17/19. I guess they are confident of the release date forthcoming.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

15 minutes ago, budjames said:

I’m looking forward to seeing and reading about the SL2 after it is released, as we all are. The Leica SoHo store in New York are hosting an open house to show off the SL2 on 12/17/19. I guess they are confident of the release date forthcoming.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

How did you receive announcement?  It didn’t pop up on my search.

Jeff

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Joakim:

You mean like Leica does with their M bodies? 😀

Yes, Leica was known to be one generation behind in sensors. For the M10 there may have been good reasons that were discussed in some other threads here why they stuck to 24 MPx. My hope is that they choose a 36 MPx sensor for the M11 that will still ensure good low light performance. BTW, the M240 and M10 sensors may be related but the low light performance and the color banding or lack of it are worlds apart. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeff S said:

How did you receive announcement?  It didn’t pop up on my search.

Jeff

I spoke to my sales guy at the store from whom I recently purchase a really nice used SL and 24-90 lens.

Regards,

Bud James

Edited by budjames
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Yes, Leica was known to be one generation behind in sensors.

I'm not sure about that. The SL/M10 sensor was as good as any competing sensor when it came out. It tested better than Sony's contemporary 24MP, if you follow tests. The S-007 sensor is still as good as, or better than, Sony's 50MP small medium format sensor. The Q2 has a sensor that is considered state-of-the-art in the S1R.

I think a lot of complaints come from a misunderstanding of Leica's imaging philosophy. They invariably choose higher colour fidelity over extracting that last half stop of ISO. They also minimize baked-in treatment at higher ISO, which makes images appear "grainier" (even though fine detail isn't automatically removed as it is on many competing sensors). It totally makes sense from Leica's perspective: they sell very expensive and very good lenses, and they don't want to make them look like cheaper lenses at high ISO, or to eliminate fine colour differences.

Personally, I like Leica's compromise. I don't want extra smoothing at high ISO (I can do that myself in post, at my choosing), and I love the colours I get. I totally understand that other photographers feel differently about this, but there's no shortage of available cameras that provide the look they are after. Some of them can even be made to work with Leica lenses.

• Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb ruskkyle:
Posted today by Greg Williams. Tagged as Q2 to throw people off but clearly not - SL2?

Could be. The SL2 is out with Leica's KOLs (Jono) right now to test the camera. It looks smaller than the SL and he's smiling which means the information leaked to Nokishita is not quite accurate. 😁 

• Haha 1

Steve Huff has this to say back in September.

"I will say this. I was invited to a massive Leica event in October. I had to SADLY turn it down as I had a prior obligation for the same exact date that I could not get out of but my guess is that it will be for the SL2. Then again, who knows! Maybe they will surprise us with more or something else entirely."

vor 9 Minuten schrieb wellfleet:

Steve Huff has this to say back in September.

"I will say this. I was invited to a massive Leica event in October. I had to SADLY turn it down as I had a prior obligation for the same exact date that I could not get out of but my guess is that it will be for the SL2. Then again, who knows! Maybe they will surprise us with more or something else entirely."

That's for the new watches. 😂

• Haha 1