"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Trying before buying is definitely the best approach, not always possible so more often than not I find its an exercise in narrowing ones choices and then being willing to pull the trigger on a purchase knowing that it may or may not work out.

This is where reviews by people who actually use the gear in the field, document their experience in a thoughtful review and couple with good visual evidence, comes in handy. Both Jono and Ming Thein are good examples of people who do it well.

I recently switched to CL as my primary camera together with Q2 (for travel) I  just sold my SL while I wait to decide if SL2 announcement is compelling enough to take the plunge, turn to Panasonic S1 or S1R or just pass altogether on the full frame interchangeable camera and just stick exclusively with my CL/Q2 combo.

Jono's review of the CL was instrumental in my decision to spend the money to try out the CL. Before doing so I didn't think I had any interest in the camera both because of the smaller sensor ( I was a full frame snob). I also didn't think I'd find the CL controls particularly appealing.  I loved the SL and found the Q2 the most satisfying camera I've ever used, with single lens limitation being its only drawback.

That said I have found the CL to be a wonderful combination between Image Quality (best crop sensor on the market), handling (far better than expected), flexibility (inter changeable lens vs Q2) and portability (TL glass is truly outstanding particularly considering its size / weight) I made the ultimate decision to take the CL plunge using my gut and personal set of criteria, but have to say that Jono's review is what got be started down the CL path and for that I'm very grateful.

Turning back to Steve Huff  I very much agree with Tailwagger's point re the disconnect between Steve's stated passion for photography and the rather mundane photos that he posts in his reviews. Considering how much he says that he loves photography he should spend more time honing his craft, going out shooting and provide more inspiring visual evidence in his reviews. Ultimately it does go back to a disconnect between words and deeds. Sadly in our social media driven age we seem to have completely lost touch with this very basic concept. This will be my last comment re Steve Huff as I've already said more than I intended.

Edited by NicholasT
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DirkS said:

I agree. The CL is great! It`s not a compromise between Image quality, handling, flexibility and portability, it`s the best combination of those.

This is the only point, why I maybe won`t buy the SL2.

+1

Just edited my post using your term "combination". I totally agree. Every time I shoot with the CL I'm reminded as you say there really is no compromise involved. Its flat out one of the best image makers on the market and very satisfying to use.

Beyond the camera TL 35 1.4 is in a class of its own and try finding a better wide zoom lens than the 11-23 or long lens than the 55-135 that won't break your back after a long day of shooting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+2.  I only wish there was more native AF glass available like the Summilux-TL 35mm...  Similar to Sony and Canon Leica seems keep APS-C going but with a minimum of investment as they really want you to buy into the FF system... One new lens in the last 3 years is really not cutting it IMHO... 

3 hours ago, budjames said:

Yes, but in that year, I get the use of an excellent 24-90 and SL body for the used purchase price of $6,400.

I am really liking using my Noctilux 50mm f0.95 on the SL. I can actually focus it wide open quickly, something that is more difficult on my M10.

Of course, and I agree, so perhaps you misunderstood the posts from me and others, which were solely about how you allocated your $6495 purchase price.  You wrote here that your SL purchase price was $1500 of the $6495, leaving the 24-90 at $4995, which is higher than a new one at list price. New ones can be had for under list, and used ones, even mint, for much less.  So the split is more realistically $2500/$4000 or $3000//$3500.  

Either way, $6495 was a good buy, as I said, and your SL (assuming it’s in great condition) should be worth much more than $1500 when you sell or trade for your SL2.  Good news, right?

I’m not a believer in camera gear as investments; rather tools to use and enjoy. So I hope you enjoy yours to the max.

Jeff

Am 21.9.2019 um 11:27 schrieb budjames:

[...], I find that there is less sources for information and reviews about Leica gear. [...]

You may or may not find some quick shot comparisons between the 50 Summicron-SL and the 75 Summicron-SL I posted in another thread useful. All pictures were taken over a couple of hours yesterday. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/301772-apo-50-summicron-sl-vs-apo-75-summicron-sl-image-thread/?tab=comments#comment-3824361

6 hours ago, Chaemono said:

You may or may not find some quick shot comparisons between the 50 Summicron-SL and the 75 Summicron-SL I posted in another thread useful. All pictures were taken over a couple of hours yesterday. https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/301772-apo-50-summicron-sl-vs-apo-75-summicron-sl-image-thread/?tab=comments#comment-3824361

I did fin that useful in that thread, thank you

Qoute from Steve Huff website

"... will say this. I was invited to a massive Leica event in October. I had to SADLY turn it down as I had a prior obligation for the same exact date that I could not get out of but my guess is that it will be for the SL2. Then again, who knows! Maybe they will surprise us with more or something else entirely. I did not sign an NDA so I have no clue if it was for the SL but with the leak… it all points to a new SL being available this October ; )"