"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

Not this time
Last time I was invited to pre announcement Q2 workshops. I’ve had to sign an NDA then. 

Workshops were super nice, a walk through Paris with a Leica ambassador. With the never seen before Q2 

If same pattern as Q2 launch. The announcement will be made this Thursday at 15:00 CET

Of course they can change their way to do things. 

7 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Not this time
Last time I was invited to pre announcement Q2 workshops. I’ve had to sign an NDA then. 

Workshops were super nice, a walk through Paris with a Leica ambassador. With the never seen before Q2 

If same pattern as Q2 launch. The announcement will be made this Thursday at 15:00 CET

Of course they can change their way to do things. 

Do they give away free samples? 😀

• Haha 1

I'd love it if Leica were more active with workshops and ambassadors. I'll be attending two workshops run by Hasselblad ambassadors in the next two weeks, without even owning or planning to buy a Hasselblad camera. One of these is hosted by a top Czech fashion photographer and is free for his Patreon supporters of which I am one. Local Hasselblad dealer guys will be available for technical support, and cameras (H6D100 and X1DMkII) will be provided for participants to shoot with. I am going to meet the host in person and to network. The other workshop is in Luxembourg with China's top fashion and wedding photographer, again a Hasselblad ambassador. I don't care what camera he uses; I am interested in what he has to say about his creative process and how he plans and runs his shoots (fairly big productions). I'd love to attend a similar Leica supported event, if it were with a recognised name photographer and if I could learn something new creatively there. Depending on the name, I'd be prepared to pay good money to participate. However, I am not that much interested in "announcement workshops", where one can take a few snaps with a yet to be announced new camera under close supervision and without being able to save images to a card. By the way, I'll be taking my SL plus 16-35 and 50SL 1.4 with me to the Lux workshop...to promote the good name of Leica in a Hassy/Bron-sponsored event!

• Like 3

In Boston, at least, the Leica store runs countless events and workshops. Miami, too, but I know that only indirectly. Since Boston is my "home" store, I am on their email list. I suspect many Leica stores have similar activity.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, bags27 said:

In Boston, at least, the Leica store runs countless events and workshops. Miami, too, but I know that only indirectly. Since Boston is my "home" store, I am on their email list. I suspect many Leica stores have similar activity.

I am happy with the service of my guys in Vienna and I know they have these "fondle the camera" events from time to time which I am not really interested in. I am talking more about ambassadors getting involved with users. As an example, last year, Leica showed a "behind the scenes" fashion shoot video to promote the SL (you can see it Here ), with Jean Noir and Christoph Gellert. I have seen that video many times, to check out every detail of what they were doing. I even got in touch with them through Leica support to find out what radio triggers they were using with the Rotolights. If Leica organised a workshop with these two photogs, I'd rush to get my place and I'd be happy to pay to take part. A good example from the "other camp" is the education work done by Karl Taylor and Urs Recher (Hassy / Bron), with many BTS videos showing how to use the equipment. I feel similar effort is not very visible in the Leica world, even though there are some great names using the cameras (for those who follow JoeyL, he has shot a lot of his recent work with a Leica SL and the 50 Lux SL.. but one has to watch his BTS videos closely to even see that he is using the SL, in addition to a Phase One). See the video Here.., around 17th minute - this was the video that finally convinced me to buy the 50 SL Lux that many people have been disparaging here for its weight and size.

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, albireo_double said:

I'd love it if Leica were more active with workshops and ambassadors. I'll be attending two workshops run by Hasselblad ambassadors in the next two weeks, without even owning or planning to buy a Hasselblad camera. One of these is hosted by a top Czech fashion photographer and is free for his Patreon supporters of which I am one. Local Hasselblad dealer guys will be available for technical support, and cameras (H6D100 and X1DMkII) will be provided for participants to shoot with. I am going to meet the host in person and to network. The other workshop is in Luxembourg with China's top fashion and wedding photographer, again a Hasselblad ambassador. I don't care what camera he uses; I am interested in what he has to say about his creative process and how he plans and runs his shoots (fairly big productions). I'd love to attend a similar Leica supported event, if it were with a recognised name photographer and if I could learn something new creatively there. Depending on the name, I'd be prepared to pay good money to participate. However, I am not that much interested in "announcement workshops", where one can take a few snaps with a yet to be announced new camera under close supervision and without being able to save images to a card. By the way, I'll be taking my SL plus 16-35 and 50SL 1.4 with me to the Lux workshop...to promote the good name of Leica in a Hassy/Bron-sponsored event!

• Like 1

vor 11 Minuten schrieb budjames:

Any indication on price yet? Other than "very expensive".

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

My guess is, it will all depend on Cine Mode.

2 hours ago, albireo_double said:

Do the Leica Akademie workshops not meet your needs? Wrong subject matter? Wrong setup?

Leica Akademie is running an online survey at the moment on what punters want. 

I've attended some LA workshops, but far more pass me by as not of interest.

• Like 1

Good suggestion. Some of the Leica Akademie workshops could probably fit the bill, especially the advanced- and masterclasses, even though a lot of these seem to focus on street photography which is of little interest to me. For whatever reason, I've never considered LA despite using Leicas, including the S, M and SL models for the past ten years...the workshps don't show on any of my media feeds, my dealer has never recommended them, I have never got any invitation by email. I have vaguely known there was something called the LA. Strange...because I get invited regularly to Phase One,  Hasselblad, Profoto etc. workshops and webcasts through various social media feeds and email newsletters, not to mention a big and increasing wave of promotion by the various online course providers like ProEdu, Portrait Masterclass and similar. Perhaps I need to be more proactive to see what Leica offer. Hmm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Do you mean the announcement of the SL2 to the public?

Maybe. 
Last time the workshops were held the very same day of the announcement. With a special evening the night before. Seems like the same pattern here. We’ll see soon enough.