"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

But it is Sunday and I have to try to see the positive in everything ...   And it is very positive that the Sony users do not come over here every time that Sony announces a new camera or lens to discuss here all the advantages this offers. Just imagine the number of announcements and the crowds piling up here ....

So thank you Sony for your nice forum and please Hasselblad improve your own forum so that your acolytes do not need anymore to spread homeless across the web, and add off-topic news in the weirdest places.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

Well gentlemen, I caved. Last day for the X1D discount and after a weekend of shooting low light situations with the need to do so quietly, I found myself thinking that the 'Blad  with its leaf shutter along side my Ms afforded a broader range of capabilities for measurably less $$$ than a 47Mpx SL2 plus optics would. Time will tell if it is a decision I'll regret, but there's alway's an M11, or perhaps an M10M as a future consolation prize. Good luck and shooting to you all, I truly hope the SL2 meets all your requirements and desires. 

Maybe a jump too soon - the offer has been extended for another month 😃

https://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/x1d-ii-50c-and-xcd-45-starter-kit/

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

Maybe a jump too soon - the offer has been extended for another month 😃

https://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/x1d-ii-50c-and-xcd-45-starter-kit/

Perhaps. Had I known the deal was being extended, I likely would have waited to confirm the Pano sensor as well as read Jono's review prior to any final decision. But in the end, this isn't life or death, it's something that can be undone, at a price, if need be. Chaemono is largely spot on in his assessment around the primary reason behind my defection. But somewhat ironically, it was being forced at moments this weekend to rely solely on the near silent Q that led me to conclude that I would be better served by complimenting my Ms with an ILC sporting a leaf shutter along with increased DR. Some form of SL is still likely in my future, but no longer as an adjunct to the M, rather as its inevitable replacement when the day arrives that I can no longer reliably focus an RF.

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Well done. I have yet to see a FF sensor that comes close to the X1D’s sensor for DR, color depth, and malleability of files. With this idiotic leak to Nokishita that the SL2 will have the same FSI sensor as the Q2/ S1R Leica lost one customer, it seems. I, too, am waiting to see what the SL2 is about and am hopeful that the Nokishita rumor is not quite accurate. 

Me too, although it’s not the sensor, for me. It’s the changes to the UI that worry me. I do hope the rumors and images are not the final product.

That miniMF sensor is a bit like crack. Try it once and it’s quite addictive. However the flexibility and speed offered by Leica’s fabulous zooms and fast primes are also really usable. Problem is there’s now other cameras to strap them to, so they need to have the handling and UI just right, which I think is why they need to keep the back of the original in the SL2.

Gordon

4 hours ago, caissa said:

But it is Sunday and I have to try to see the positive in everything ...   And it is very positive that the Sony users do not come over here every time that Sony announces a new camera or lens to discuss here all the advantages this offers. Just imagine the number of announcements and the crowds piling up here ....

So thank you Sony for your nice forum and please Hasselblad improve your own forum so that your acolytes do not need anymore to spread homeless across the web, and add off-topic news in the weirdest places.

Well, if Sony made a camera that cost about the same as an SL or lenses that were close in cost then maybe those comparisons would be made. For now, if you have SL2 money to spend the other option is probably the X1D2. Both the the `SL and X1D also shared great user interfaces so another comparison. The Sony’s are jack of all trades camera but with handling compromises. The SL and X1D are scalpels with a great UI and similar pricing. If you’re seriously considering the SL I think you’ve already discounted the Sony A7R4.

Of course if you feel that comparisons to other brands like the X1D should be banned you could always report us to an admin.......

Gordon

• Like 3

5 hours ago, caissa said:

The Hasselblad forum must be a terrible place, because so many flee over here to the SL forum to spread their good news. But as an SL user, where could I flee to get rid of the pushy Hassy fans and to quietly discuss what is written in the title of the thread .....

please feel free to ignore all the users who are doing real world comparisons between systems that are at a similar price point.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

Well gentlemen, I caved. Last day for the X1D discount and after a weekend of shooting low light situations with the need to do so quietly, I found myself thinking that the 'Blad  with its leaf shutter along side my Ms afforded a broader range of capabilities for measurably less $$$ than a 47Mpx SL2 plus optics would. Time will tell if it is a decision I'll regret, but there's alway's an M11, or perhaps an M10M as a future consolation prize. Good luck and shooting to you all, I truly hope the SL2 meets all your requirements and desires. 

I considered the X1Dii, but the EV seemed poor. In low light, it would blink bright to acquire focus and then go dark... I think that would drive me nuts... it reminds me of the lamp that some DSLRs used to light the scene to get the focus. I assume they expected most users to use the screen to compose. 

I've also pondered on the increasingly marginal benefits of changing to MF ..... with the X1D being the main target......

.... but I keep coming back to the fact that it means a complete change of ecosystems and loss of useful zoom lenses.

..... plus having the CL as a compact body with a pile of TL and SL lenses I can use interchangeably does make me hesitate. 

An S1R gets me halfway from SL to X1D in terms of image quality and is a much more flexible body than either in terms of usage. 'Big and buttons' hasn't been an issue. 

The loss alone in selling up would buy me an SL2 and a couple of new SL primes, so I will stick with what I have for now, thanks. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Repeat after me, “I do not want an X1D II 50c [okay, I know it’s a mouthful, but stick with me here], a CL is just as good”,  “I do not want an X1D II 50c, it wouldn’t pair well with my L system [it would actually, but who's counting]” ... take as required.

20 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

so I will stick with what I have for now, thanks. 

Which, provided that you are happy with the results, is the best plan by far. Ask yourself: what would I gain, for what price and for how many images. Work out per image and be shocked.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Which, provided that you are happy with the results, is the best plan by far. Ask yourself: what would I gain, for what price and for how many images. Work out per image and be shocked.

very true..but many times, if cash is not a problem, its just for the joy of shooting with a camera that one likes...many people buy M's simply because they're a joy to use, even though from a tech point of view they're way behind other brands 😉

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb jaapv:

I rented it for a weekend with the 45mm and the 90mm. Didn’t buy it and lost the rental fee that could have been applied against the purchase price. It’s a niche camera. I much prefer an M for size, M lenses, and shooting experience. I seriously considered it as an M alternative. But I can see why it appeals to some who need more color depth and low-light DR professionally. The IQ (of the sensor) outweighs the pain of using it for them.