To get an MP or not?

twogun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/10/2019 at 10:18 AM, JBurkhard said:

Actually, the M5 is def. what u r looking for: This Rangefinder is the 35-wonder with full view. As you know the M3 is for 50.
Besides: The M5 has for a fact the most accurate metering of all the M models (1 needle for aperture and one for shutter-speed show exactly when the metering is on center-spot)
Plus: You can see the shutter-speed too in the viewfinder.
Plus: I do find the M5 being the most beautiful M of all time (your mileage may vary).

What you think?

I'm sure the m5 is great and heard/read good things about it but it's not for my taste :) My judgement is purely based on aesthetic preference - 

Edited by twogun
typo

I think I have decided to give the M6 a miss, as what I really desire is the MP, even though it is a LOT more money. I almost bought the M6 from the classifieds here in fact. It looks beautiful and in the 'love my M6' thread, a silver one in a Luigi case looks amazing! But I really fancy the MP but they are thin on the ground used, especially in black. I shall remain patient. I only want to use a 35mm lens with whatever I get as I can keep the M3 for 50mm then. :)

I have owned and used M3, M2R, M4, M6, M6ttl.  I still have an M6 (non ttl) because it was the last Leica body to still accept the IXMOO (the brass reloadable cartridges, which I love).  However, I used an MP Black for about 7-8 years hard and was just starting to brass.  It has the best of all - the viewfinder is the brightest under lower light, the gears and parts are better metals (read no zinc) and it is tough as nails.  I sold it and some other film bodies and now use a silver MP 0.85 (my modern M3!) and a black lacquer MP 0.58.  I have matching rapid winders on the bottoms.  The I can use the noctilux wide open on the 0.85 and nail the exposure and the same with the 75 lux.  The .58 handles a 28mm really well in the viewfinder and a 24mm is just barely cropped.  I was lucky enough to get those through the leica a-la-carte.  The viewfinder glass really is great compared to my M2 and M3's which were super clean and not yellow, it just transmits better light.  I've also run out of battery on the MP's before and just started using sunny 16 with great results.  Consider it...

• Like 3

On 9/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, twogun said:

I might be going thru an episode of "GAS"

This is no argument in either direction. You can make wrong decisions to buy something without GAS and vice versa, I mean decide not to buy something because you think it’s pureG AS, resulting in a missed chance with regret for life. My only criterium would be if the copy of the MP you have in your hands in a well trusted store, feels good or not. At that moment you will compare it consciously and unconsciously with what you’ve got. And that’s it. Btw, did you ever have an MP in your hands? For instance, the sound of the shutter can vary significantly between film M’s, also between new MP’s and M-A’s.

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, twogun said:

The M6TTL light meter repairability has always been a conflicting thought in my head.

I would have more problems with the somewhat flare-prone viewfinder in the M6TTL, for instance when shooting two subjects with a lightsource in between. This has been cured thoroughly halfway the production series of the M7, before the MP came out. 

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

I would have more problems with the somewhat flare-prone viewfinder in the M6TTL, for instance when shooting two subjects with a lightsource in between. This has been cured thoroughly halfway the production series of the M7, before the MP came out. 

Maybe I was lucky but I have never experienced any flare with my M6TTL viewfinder in 18 years.

• Like 1

First - once again thanks everyone for the feedback and responses. After deliberating, reading thru all the comments and selling my M4 Black Chrome to fund the purchase for an MP - I finally made a decision but decided NOT to go with the MP......instead I used the funds to get a (2nd) Leica M6 -with  a used 35mm Summicron ASPH v1 . I already have an M6 TTL (.058) with a 28mm summicron. The M6 Classic Chrome is  in 9/10 condition and happy for now that I can mitigate my irrational "need" for the MP :). I feel like I have both of best worlds here with both 28/35 focal lengths. this should hold me over before the next GAS attack. :)

1: Leica M6 TTL (Black) .58x with 28mm Summicron  ASPH v1 - current setup

2: Leica M6 Classic (Chrome) 0.72x with 35mm Summicron ASPH V1 - new addition

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by twogun
typo
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, twogun said:

First - once again thanks everyone for the feedback and responses. After deliberating, reading thru all the comments and selling my M4 Black Chrome to fund the purchase for an MP - I finally made a decision but decided NOT to go with the MP......instead I used the funds to get a (2nd) Leica M6 -with  a used 35mm Summicron ASPH v1 . I already have an M6 TTL (.058) with a 28mm summicron. The M6 Classic Chrome is  in 9/10 condition and happy for now that I can mitigate my irrational "need" for the MP :). I feel like I have both of best worlds here with both 28/35 focal lengths. this should hold me over before the next GAS attack. :)

1: Leica M6 TTL (Black) .58x with 28mm Summicron  ASPH v1 - current setup

2: Leica M6 Classic (Chrome) 0.72x with 35mm Summicron ASPH V1 - new addition

Nice! Either way. Winner winner, chicken dinner!!

• Like 1

Great decision! The leather on the chrome M6 is much nicer than what’s on the MP, it has more grip and the filmtransport handle is much more comfortable to your thumb than the M3 type. The film rewind is also much more relaxt. You certainly bought a nice copy too!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Great decision! The leather on the chrome M6 is much nicer than what’s on the MP, it has more grip and the filmtransport handle is much more comfortable to your thumb than the M3 type. The film rewind is also much more relaxt. You certainly bought a nice copy too!

Thank you. Interesting...I would have expected that the MP would have a better leatherette considering it's price point. I certainly did get a great copy for the m6 classic. The baseplate cover still has the plastic film on it. The only thing I've added is an aftermarket thumbs grip which I include on all my bodies.

15 hours ago, twogun said:

I would have expected that the MP would have a better leatherette considering it's price point.

"better" is of course more often than not, subjective. The covering of the MP may be better for gripping the camera but IMO not as nice as a more "traditional" covering such as the original on the M9 or M-A. I'll get mine changed one of these days.

• Like 1

I no longer have an MP so I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, but I always rather liked the standard MP 'leather' cover. I think it is part of the utilitarian design that makes it a real classic, at least in the black paint finish version of the camera. (It's round the back where the design goes a bit iffy with the non-matching black chrome rear door surround and the plastic ISO dial).

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

I had an MP but traded it in for this new beauty, only down side is the lack of 28mm frame lines.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Eleven years ago, I held a silver chrome MP in my hands, but for some reason, it didn't feel right. I had all but stopped using film, so I couldn't justify spending about $4K on a secondhand film body. There was a black paint MP in the same shop, it looked super, but I couldn't justify it.

A couple of years later, I had bought my M9, and on what was essentially a whim, I bought a silver chrome M7 for $3100 AUD. Not what I was planning at all, but since having the M9, the M7 felt just right in my hands, even better than the M9.

Ironically, in the nine years that I've had it, I've probably put less than 20 rolls through it. Maybe even less than ten. I just don't shoot film that much, at all. Had the M7 rejuvenated my interest in film, it would have been 'worth' the purchase, but as it is, I've got a gorgeous piece of machinery that I admire, and use only a few times a year.

Having said that... I wish I'd bought a black or silver chrome MP when I had the budget for it. There's just something about the MP and M-A styling that captivates me. Would I shoot a lot more film? Who knows, maybe!