To get an MP or not?

twogun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over the years I have been fortunate to be able to work and save some extra money to pursue my serious hobby of photography. During this time I've acquired an M2, M4 Black Chrome, M4-P and M6 TTL. All bodies are in excellent condition and used regularly on rotation. 

But now .....I'm lusting after an MP Black Paint since I prefer to have a meter - - It's is not a logical thought process. Why get an MP when I already have the combined functions of an MP in all my current bodies? .......and If I decide to get it I will have to sell a few bodies to fund it fully.  So at the end would it be worth it going with an MP and sacrificing the older bodies for it?  I know this is such an objective question :) - and everyone's circumstances are different and I might be going thru an episode of "GAS" but looking for opinions to keep me out of it or going thru with getting an MP .

Edited by twogun

No idea! You already have a bunch of very nice cameras. Really depends on what you think this will add to / or if selling others, may simplify your life/photography. 

But I just got an MP last weekend. And daaaaaaammmnnn. Its a thing of beauty. I've owned a few Leica's, but I am blown away by this camera. (sorry not, or maybe I am... helping! :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikeamosau said:

No idea! You already have a bunch of very nice cameras. Really depends on what you think this will add to / or if selling others, may simplify your life/photography. 

But I just got an MP last weekend. And daaaaaaammmnnn. Its a thing of beauty. I've owned a few Leica's, but I am blown away by this camera. (sorry not, or maybe I am... helping! :)

:) Definitely not helping. :) I have no logical reasoning for my attempt to get an MP - although it would be a justification to simplify my equipment to one main film body. Congrats on the MP !

Edited by twogun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, twogun said:

I know this is such an objective question

Subjective.

Anyway... if it were up to me, given what you have, I would. Get the MP, sell the M6. Keep one of the others. You already know this but which of the others you keep depends on the lenses you intend to use. Do you use a 75mm? Keep the M4-P. If not.... I would keep the M2.

2 minutes ago, ianman said:

Subjective.

Anyway... if it were up to me, given what you have, I would. Get the MP, sell the M6. Keep one of the others. You already know this but which of the others you keep depends on the lenses you intend to use. Do you use a 75mm? Keep the M4-P. If not.... I would keep the M2.

Thanks yes - I use 28 + 35 and sometimes a 50mm - I don't intend to use anything with a longer focal length. Majority of my M mount lenses are 35mm. I was already leaning to your thoughts here to keep my M2 and the M4 (if possible) and find a new home for the m4-p and M6 TTL.

• Like 1

Definitely get the MP. 

I would only sacrifice the M6 and M4-P. These are the lesser models compared with M2 and M4 IMHO. 

I have M2, M4 and MP. The convenience of the inbuilt meter of the MP, coupled with the feel of the M2, makes the MP my preferred body. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, twogun said:

Thanks yes - I use 28 + 35 and sometimes a 50mm - I don't intend to use anything with a longer focal length. Majority of my M mount lenses are 35mm. I was already leaning to your thoughts here to keep my M2 and the M4 (if possible) and find a new home for the m4-p and M6 TTL.

Whilst I am not in the market for an MP ....... 

I’d keep the M2 + M4 Black Chrome & sell/trade both M4-P, M6 TTL to fund the MP.

All the best!

Further food for thought. The frame lines. MP will cover the M6 TTL + M4-P.

M2 35, 50, 90.

M4 35, 50, 90, 135.

MP 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135.

• Like 3

I've "replaced " all used M with two new M-A .

That said the Black Chrome M4 is the smoothest in use.

Not yours ?

As time goes by, using them along without preference, I'm happy keeping M4.

I prefer the articulated plastic wind-on and rewind crank of M4 😉

MP is heavy and dense, as does M-A.

M4/M2 are sweet spot for handling, shape/weight with "normal" Leica lens such as 35/50 Summicron or Summarit-M.

Maybe, that's only my decades use of M4/M2 and when I take one M, I "wait" for that form/shape/weight = only that's me.

After all, I don't see any magic in MP or M-A but some inconveniences like the all metal wind-on and I tend to use Leicavit or Motor-M,

more weight and no more M-like.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I've "replaced " all used M with two new M-A .

That said the Black Chrome M4 is the smoothest in use.

Not yours ?

As time goes by, using them along without preference, I'm happy keeping M4.

I prefer the articulated plastic wind-on and rewind crank of M4 😉

It's a toss up between my m4 and m2 as far as the smoothest in use. I would really have trouble picking one over the other:)- I prefer black bodies than chrome so the M4 might get a few more pointers.

3 hours ago, earleygallery said:

I'd definitely sell the M6TTL - if the meter fails Leica can't repair it. As this becomes more common knowledge it is likely to affect values. 

Keep the M2, sell the others to fund the MP. They would make a great pair and both very similar in feel and use (advance lever, rewind etc.). 

The M6TTL light meter repairability has always been a conflicting thought in my head.

15 minutes ago, twogun said:

The M6TTL light meter repairability has always been a conflicting thought in my head.

You could just sell the M6TTL and replace it with an M6 classic which will provide a metered M that complements the other cameras well, as the shutter speed dial rotates in the same direction.

• Like 1