Any film shooters getting the itch to shoot digital?

Huss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, JohnSmithsOtherBrother said:

And if anyone throws Ansel Adams at me, I reply that he probably would have taken to digital like a duck to water since his images came from his work and mastery in the darkroom, not his camera choice or work.

I understand Adams was working with Kodak in the very early experiments in digital photography, and yes he’d could have used it if he’d lived long enough. But I don’t think he ever did anything for convenience, only in searching for ways to do something better for the work he wanted to do.

Personally if only convenience drives photography I can’t see how the photographs have any authenticity. Would anybody applaud a fine chef for saying they couldn’t be bothered spending time to craft something to perfection? But you may want a burger served up without waiting too long. Even with digital I prefer to spend time post processing to deliver my interpretation of a fine meal, other people can cook the burger.

• Like 2

I think because I already have the 10r, I gotta just use it.  As they say, first world problems..  The thing is, there is something about film images that I just love.  And not just mine, almost everyones!  I don't care if they are crappy, boring, whatever.  I feel like I am looking at something tangible, there was a 'cost' to it and knowing that there is a physical copy out there.

But as mentioned above, traveling through airports etc is much easier w digital.  And there are times when I'm at a place when I wish I had a different film stock in camera. At the moment when I head out the door it has been pretty much only one camera, one lens, bunch o film.  I think I need to ease into it by taking the digital body with me as well.

• Like 2

Right now I’m 100% film and have been for about six months, but I’ve dabbled with digital a time or two. I really quite liked my M10 Monochrom, but eventually decided I can get my black and white kicks with film and be just as happy. 

I had a Mamiya 7II for a few months and contrary to popular opinion, I did not hit it off with that camera. I send my film to get developed and scanned and for the cost benefits ratio it was just too damn expensive to shoot that camera the way I shoot. For the past month or so I’ve been wanting a digital camera that could fill the gap my Mamiya left, and I’ve really been considering a Hasselblad X2D. Seems the modern digital replacement to the old Mamiya, and the results look incredible. I’m just worried investing in that system would be a costly waste, since at the end of the day my heart is for film only…

Not since I've stopped making pictures for "other people." I grew up with analogue photography. I never quit using film, but for a decade or so used a Leica M8.2 when circumstances arose where it was appropriate. That said, I certainly could have (and have done) days when I shoot film in the morning, process mid-day, and scan late evenings, but I have no reason to do this now.

I would likely sell the M8.2 and do something with the few bucks I'd get, but I have no reason for so doing. I've also observed, over the years, that no good comes from selling Leica stuff. If it's still working, it's best to keep it around because "you never know ..."

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sunyforreal said:

I had a Mamiya 7II for a few months and contrary to popular opinion, I did not hit it off with that camera.

Neither did I so I’m glad I’m not alone. But there are many MF cameras that come without the same overriding pressure 😊 Although still a rangefinder I like the Fuji ‘Texas Leica’s’ , 6x9, 6x7, or a TLR with a 6x6 Minolta Autocord or Rollieflex.

32 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Neither did I so I’m glad I’m not alone. But there are many MF cameras that come without the same overriding pressure 😊 Although still a rangefinder I like the Fuji ‘Texas Leica’s’ , 6x9, 6x7, or a TLR with a 6x6 Minolta Autocord or Rollieflex.

I’d love a Rolleiflex or a Hasselblad 500 series camera. I’ve been on and off about buying a Hasselblad 500cm/501cx/503cw etc for years now, even telling myself it’s way more economical than 6x7 cause the whopping TWO extra frames you get per roll lol. It’s one of the rare cameras that, like my old Pentax 67II, just leave me drooooling at the results. 

Prices on GFX100s’ are going down and I’ve been tempted a time or two with those as well……

But I know myself well enough, and if I bought another digital camera, I’d probably just sell it in a year. It seems like the only cameras that stick around these days for me shoot 35mm film.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I forgot that I do use a digital camera a lot  - my Z7 - because I use that daily to scan film!  Great for that..  I even bought a 24-70 Z lens for it thinking that would make me use it as a 'camera' not just a film scanner, but that lens has stayed in the box.  At least I bought it used!

The digital M has a far greater chance of being used than the Z7, because the Leica - even though it is digital - still makes you do the work.  Z7s and the rest, are incredible machines w AF, EVFs, multiple modes etc but that also removes the challenge.  They are too easy to use.  And yet have too many bells and whistles on them that  I would never use.

No itch for me. I grew up with film, became a half way decent photography with digital (speed of results and low marginal cost made a steep learning curve easy to ascend), and now do both - but for different purposes.

Digital is for photography for others with the SL2-S (portraits, performance, events), and for casual practical photography with fast results: social and travel (though film is eating into the latter).

Film is for my personal exploration, fun and learning different ways of doing things. Large format, Leica M, Leica Barnack, colour and B&W.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

I had a Mamiya 7II for a few months and contrary to popular opinion, I did not hit it off with that camera. I send my film to get developed and scanned and for the cost benefits ratio it was just too damn expensive to shoot that camera the way I shoot. For the past month or so I’ve been wanting a digital camera that could fill the gap my Mamiya left, and I’ve really been considering a Hasselblad X2D. Seems the modern digital replacement to the old Mamiya, and the results look incredible. I’m just worried investing in that system would be a costly waste, since at the end of the day my heart is for film only…

You can buy a lot of film and processing for the outlay on an X2D and a couple of lenses.

I had a Mamiya M7ii for a few years and I did 'hit it off' with the camera but it was the lenses that are the real stars of the system.  The first time (of 3x) I was nominated as UK Landscape Photographer of the Year at the 2004 British Professional Photographic Awards was with an image I took on Velvia 50 with the 43mm lens.

I also used a pair of Fuji GSW/GW690iii's which I have always preferred to the Mamiya 7ii.  I eventually sold the Mamiya, but I still frequently use Fuji 690iii's s regularly.  They are bomb-proof image making monsters with fixed lenses that are on a par with Mamiya 7 lenses.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

You can buy a lot of film and processing for the outlay on an X2D and a couple of lenses.

I had a Mamiya M7ii for a few years and I did 'hit it off' with the camera but it was the lenses that are the real stars of the system.  The first time (of 3x) I was nominated as UK Landscape Photographer of the Year at the 2004 British Professional Photographic Awards was with an image I took on Velvia 50 with the 43mm lens.

I also used a pair of Fuji GSW/GW690iii's which I have always preferred to the Mamiya 7ii.  I eventually sold the Mamiya, but I still frequently use Fuji 690iii's s regularly.  They are bomb-proof image making monsters with fixed lenses that are on a par with Mamiya 7 lenses.

Not arguing that the Mamiya 7 isn’t a great system or that you couldn’t buy a lot of film and processing for the price of an X2D. The great thing about taking my time thinking about buying into a new system like the X2D is since I don’t buy cameras new, the longer I think about the decision, the cheaper the camera I’m thinking about getting gets. Can’t say that about the Mamiya, they’ve been $3-5k cameras for at least the past few years now. And I could easily spend another couple grand over the year just shooting 120 film. Anyway I’m just musing, I don’t need any new gear.

Congrats on those accomplishments though! The 43mm lens on the Mamiya is outstanding, probably one of the best wide angle lenses ever made. I’d love to see the particular photo you were nominated for. I’m not a huge “Ken Rockwell” fan but there was an image of his on his website with that 43mm lens and Velvia that really really impressed me.

I love my Mamiya 7ii. Easy shooter, for MF, and the lens produces photos that shock me at every scan. 

If I could keep only three cameras, and if the rule was that the three cameras had to be different, I would keep: Mamiya 7ii, Leica MP3, Ricoh GR21. My three favourite cameras. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bronco McBeast said:

There is no amount of D76 I could drink that would bring me to a such a DEBILITATING state as a few mere minutes on a computer screen playing with FILES (so-called photographs).

Nooo thanks.

I would say a cup would do it.