Any film shooters getting the itch to shoot digital?

Huss

I just went all digital, but not because of an itch. I’ve been a lifelong vegetarian/vegan and always overlooked the gelatin issue as minor, but recently decided to no longer do that. Replaced my M6 with an M10 and gave my Rollei 3.5f to a relative. 

I miss the camera, the BW film aesthetic, and the whole workflow. Digital has many benefits, but for me it’s missing the feeling of craft. Still, I’m not going back. 

John

Edited by johnwolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, johnwolf said:

Digital has many benefits, but for me it’s missing the feeling of craft.

John

This is exactly why I just cannot quit film. By most objective measures, and a few subjective ones (dust!), digital wins, but…

• Like 1

I bought my first digital camera in 7 years a couple of days ago (an SL 601). I intend to use it for scanning and occasional shooting (was also feeling the itch). Few days of shooting it and I already know that 'occasional' shooting is going to remain occasional... I am happy to have it though, will put it to good use for scanning and occasional shooting whenever the itch comes back!

One thing I really love with film is how it encourage us to anticipate. Choosing a film stock (and developer combination) is committing to a certain look and I believe that in turns, this impact the subjects we look. If this was not enough, there is also delta 3200 in DD-X, SFX 200 in FX39-II and an infinite combination of look and feel!

Edited by Aryel
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, johnwolf said:

I just went all digital, but not because of an itch. I’ve been a lifelong vegetarian/vegan and always overlooked the gelatin issue as minor, but recently decided to no longer do that.

I can relate to that very well. I‘m enjoying a similar lifestyle. Only I allow myself to shoot on film. Good reason to shoot digital!!

16 hours ago, Greenhilltony said:

Because he’s a vegan. Film uses gelatin which sources to animals. I’d better say no more on the internet though…

Not all film uses gelatin.  Quite a few are polyester based and those are easy to tell when you handle them as they are very thin.  Downside is you have to load your camera in very dim conditions due to light piping through the cassette seals.

18 hours ago, johnwolf said:

I just went all digital, but not because of an itch. I’ve been a lifelong vegetarian/vegan and always overlooked the gelatin issue as minor, but recently decided to no longer do that. Replaced my M6 with an M10 and gave my Rollei 3.5f to a relative. 

I miss the camera, the BW film aesthetic, and the whole workflow. Digital has many benefits, but for me it’s missing the feeling of craft. Still, I’m not going back. 

John

The M10 usually comes with a very nice leather Leica strap.  If yours came with one, I'd be happy to trade it for one or two of my genuine Leica vegan (nylon w rubber pad) straps.

3 hours ago, Huss said:

Not all film uses gelatin.  Quite a few are polyester based and those are easy to tell when you handle them as they are very thin.  Downside is you have to load your camera in very dim conditions due to light piping through the cassette seals.

You're talking about the base here. All emulsions use gelatin as the carrier. 

• Thanks 1

This thread has inspired me! So much that I bought a Kodak Retina 1 (Type 013). No fancy rangefinder gizmo, solid knobs for advance and rewind, a little lever to push on the shutter to cock it plus a super fast, uncoated 3.5 Schneider lens. I did spend thirty bucks for an accessory sportsfinder. 

Now I just have to figure out where the card slot is...

5 hours ago, oldwino said:

You're talking about the base here. All emulsions use gelatin as the carrier. 

I do indeed stand corrected.  From Kodak’s info on Aerocolor iv:

BASE
3.9-mil (0.10 mm) ESTAR Base with a gel backing.

I do digital since 2007 and did neglect film for quite some time. At the moment I prefer my M10-R for color and film for B&W. Portra is very nice, especially the 800, but digital gives me more different ways of colorgrading than color films do as a whole, considering the time it costs. 

• Like 1