Am I certified crazy for considering the M-A?

Great news, I have purchased the black M-A from Leica Store Vienna! I wanted to make sure I got one from the latest batch and they said it might be some more months, but later the same day they contacted me again and told me they happened to get a new shipment in right after we spoke- what a coincidence!- and so mine has a birthday of August 20th, 2019- very excited! I'm travelling to Vienna later this month and will collect it there in person- very happy to have made this work out so perfectly, and I will collect it in my favourite city where my Leica obsession really started. I had purchased a Summilux 50 ASPH today for the camera, but upon closer inspection at home noticed it had some oil on the aperture blades so I'll get a refund tomorrow and buy another example. I've learned this was quite a common issue on the Lux 50 ASPH, which is very unusual... anyways, rather get a refund and not have to deal with it. I was strongly considering the APO-50, however after watching a particular A/B video with it and the Zeiss Sonnar 50 1.5, I was shocked to find out how much more I preferred the Zeiss rendering... the video certainly didn't make a strong case for the much more expensive APO. I also thought about going the Noctilux 50 .95 route, but truthfully my heart is more with the newer Nocti 75, which is currently too expensive for me... But maybe next year... that will make a brilliant portrait lens. For now I'll stick to 35 and 50- or perhaps 28 and 50, I'll see. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread- I'm very excited to finally be a Leica owner, though sadly I won't have it in my hands for another few weeks... it's okay though, feels good knowing it's paid and mine finally. I will post some images after my trip with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, wattsy said:

Not sure the OP is still around.

There's a thread over on RFF that appears to be by the same chap, started ten days or so after his last post here. It's entitled "I've made a huge mistake" and is a buyer's remorse post about his M-A and 50 APO purchase. 

The response was not good and he asked that the thread be deleted. His initial comments were removed, but the thread continues. A poster there mentioned that you all were much more civil to him that the treadment he received there.  

I feel kinda bad for the guy. His Leica dream went all awry. Leica can do strange things to one's head. 

John 

Edited by johnwolf

1 hour ago, johnwolf said:

There's a thread over on RFF that appears to be by the same chap, started ten days or so after his last post here. It's entitled "I've made a huge mistake" and is a buyer's remorse post about his M-A and 50 APO purchase. 

The response was not good and he asked that the thread be deleted. His initial comments were removed, but the thread continues. A poster there mentioned that you all were much more civil to him that the treadment he received there.  

I feel kinda bad for the guy. His Leica dream went all awry. Leica can do strange things to one's head. 

John 

One salient point.

His initial post ended with “flame away .....”

Yes the responses were unsavoury however his second and last response further inflamed RFF members by his comment regarding a poster “buying and returning 21 Leica cameras until he was satisfied with his find” pendantic one might suggest was the inference ....

He was called out by LUF forums members, as I recall 2/3 - really in the end I am simply bemused that one joining a forum can post, continue to start other thread/s taking the same line not like the responses and then jump into RFF AND his opening thread is “I made a mistake ...”

Really?!?

I say ... the pot calling the kettle black.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, johnwolf said:

But.... he was asking about straps and bags just a few days ago!

I have to say it did all seem a bit odd. Posting that he wasn't a "50 guy" then seemingly buying a bunch of 50's. "I'm not a f/1.4 person".... but I want to get Summiluxes... and so on.

9 minutes ago, ianman said:

But.... he was asking about straps and bags just a few days ago!

I have to say it did all seem a bit odd. Posting that he wasn't a "50 guy" then seemingly buying a bunch of 50's. "I'm not a f/1.4 person".... but I want to get Summiluxes... and so on.

And the line of thought was down the same path .... I too have been guilty of posting such nonsense, however I do search and read up on other similar threads BEFORE I start another thread about me.

I figure I’m from the age of the baby boomers - tail end I’ll have you 1962. 

I studied under the tutlage of Henry Talbot who whilst an Australian Icon of 60’s fashion photography was the business partner of Helmut Newton. More here http://www3.slv.vic.gov.au/latrobejournal/issue/latrobe-76/t1-g-t8.html

Many of my peers are senior to me as I worked as a photographers assistant to many of those.

My point is that many of today’s photographers are focused on the social media circus of it’s all about me.

Its not don’t post rubbish, but think before and research by reading and seeking advice, albeit online. Be respectful and if someone is being thoughtless don’t turn a blind eye. Be chivalrous, courteous. Karma will get us all in the end.

• Like 1

Oh, this was him?? I entirely missed his 'huge mistake' post and only saw the new thread Stephen started. Funny stuff. Well, at least he's still working through lens choices. I truly understand how crazes can affect things. Heck, I was almost a nervous wreck before the M9 was announced, I was refreshing DPReview home page every ten minutes in case the announcement appeared. And when I chanced upon a shop that had one spare, I literally screamed like a little girl and RAN to the car to pick it up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It will not fit your professional workflow unless you have a client that wants film and he may require MF or LF.

For personal work, go for it.

As for used, I have had many and all required CLA or more soon and problems were not apparent when buying.  To bring a M2, 3,or 4 to new is $1000.  May as well buy new. Aging parts needs repair and few can do the work WELL. Things go bad from time, not just use.

4 minutes ago, Afairall said:

I just picked up a M-A and couldn’t be any happier. But i see a lot of talk about getting a current batch, is there something I need to know about older batches?

Now I just need to sell my M6.

Why worry, you have two-year warranty.

You can see the manufacture date (or "check date" ) on the box and warranty/check card.

in this thread, you have all informations

7 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Hilarious (re. the OP). Maybe it was all made up, but he seemed sincere enough. More likely a case of shooting a roll with his new camera and APO lens and being disappointed that is photos were still the same as before! 

Ouch 🤠

And his account - White Buffalo aka Guitarist (RFF) has been deleted as well. I welcome that his thread/s were not deleted as opposed to RFF unilateral nuke.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 3:53 PM, johnwolf said:

John 

Well; despite nobody questioned if OP case legit, same thing happened here.

BTW,  Where I’m photog is next to minimal wage work.

• 5 weeks later...

Haven’t we all that when we buy ourselves a present? Wait one year and then ask the same question again. But! there are individual differences in M’s in how they feel and sound, they are all handmade.
Congrats and much pleasure with your new M-A!

2 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Just got the M-A in black! Beautiful camera and a joy to use. Although I have an MP in black paint with some brassing (which is a finish I much prefer to black chrome), somehow I feel like shooting with the M-A much more, why is that!?! Happy that I got it!

Hello,

nice you like more the M-A than your MP.

I think there is some relations with the viewfinder without LED and complete line at bottom ?

I don't have MP anymore, but I've bought a second M-A ( in 2014 ! ).

If you don't mind, Shirubadanieru please tell us the date of manufacturing of your M-A, in this thread

if possible it's serial number.

We are trying to gather the number of M-A made 😉

Some of you guys make it sound like these old film Ms can be found growing on trees of life or can be fished out of your local fountain of youth.  They are all crap shoots.  From fading VF lines and focus patches, to holes in curtains, to inaccurate shutter speeds, to faulty strap lugs that may or may not be available in the after market, to internal and external corrosion.  These bodies have storied pasts that you will never know.  Sure, you may get lucky and get a copy that works just fine.  But then again you may not, and if you don't it will be a huge pain the in ass to get it all sorted out.  I see it happen with people all the time.  

So 1200-1500 USD for a crap shoot M4 vs $3500 for a mint used M-A is a very fair comparison.  I think one can very reasonably go either way depending on the relative weights one placed on the relevant subject variables.

The M2 and M6 aren't even in the same discussion as the M-A.   

The M-A is like a new M4 with a more robust film rewind knob that is modeled after the M3, which is stronger, has less parts and is more reliable.

From time to time I get some GAS and, despite having a really good M3 and an  M7 and IIIg (and of course my coveted M-A), will shop around for M4s.  I honestly rarely, if at all, find a copy on eBay that I would be comfortable buying.  

I saw (in person) a really good copy at B&H last Sunday.  It had only one small ding on the front and had a brand new black faux snake skin and a good VF, but otherwise was represented as working perfectly. It was priced at $1200.  How do I really know where it has been, how many CLAs, whether it has had any major issues that the technician at B&H dressed up?  This was the best copy that I have seen in a really long time, maybe ever.  Don't tell anyone but I actually went back this past Friday morning to buy it - and it was GONE.  😂  Such is life, I took it as a sign :)

Of course this is all subjective and there are different courses for different horses.  But I just get the feeling that sometimes people place excessive weight on the continuing reliability and vitality of the old great Ms. 

Edited by A miller
  • Like 1