Thambar-Crazy

lik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A better analogy IMO is the remastering of an old recording.

No, I don't think that works either unless you consider the lens itself as some kind of performance or presentation. Your analogy would make sense if we were talking about re-printing an old HCB or Adams photograph but the discussion is about the recreation of a tool used to make photographs.

No, I don't think that works either unless you consider the lens itself as some kind of performance or presentation. Your analogy would make sense if we were talking about re-printing an old HCB or Adams photograph but the discussion is about the recreation of a tool used to make photographs.

What I meant is a re-presentation of an older optical formula, but as well as modern technology will allow. But I take your point.

• Like 1

Some more examples - please have mercy in judging. I'm still learning and seeking... :) 

Here some effects of a bit "high key" and the other one with more black.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

With this lens every little light has a - some call it CA - I call it a shine... ;)  

It's interesting to me to see the shine not in backlit but on reflecting surfaces

• Like 12

Thanks.lik

Would you show the packing (inside of the box) of the lens?

Rgds.

Of course - here you are! 

To be honest - to me it's a bulky luggage piece. 

I don't need this obviously expensive product presentation with the tiny filter section in a useless leather case...

I only keep it in case I want to sell. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

lik

Please photograph some people/faces. 

Maybe a well lit painterly still life and give us/me some distance and exposure details.

Enjoy your new lens. Thanks for posting......this is fun. I live through your Thambar experimentation

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 3

Some more examples - please have mercy in judging. I'm still learning and seeking... :)

Here some effects of a bit "high key" and the other one with more black.

I liked these. I can see what you are trying to show and I have seen something similar on some cheap legacy lenses I used to own (but to a much smaller degree). I am not convinced that you can duplicate this effect in PP from a regular lens but it is possible to come close.

In any case, a very unique rendering. Enjoying your posts. Please don't stop.

Edited by jmahto

lik

Please photograph some people/faces.

Maybe a well lit painterly still life and give us/me some distance and exposure details.

Enjoy your new lens. Thanks for posting......this is fun. I live through your Thambar experimentation

I’ll continue - please give me a bit more time for the people photography - I’m very busy in December but they’ll come [emoji4]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Lik, I have a few questions: have you already used the Center Spot Filter ? Did you take some of these fotos stopped down or were they all taken fully open ? Have you been using the EVF ? What is it like without using the EVF ? Thank you !

Hi Wonzo,

sitting in taxi let me answer in short:

All daylight are with the center spot

Night without - except those I wanted to show the ugly donuts bokeh

All wide open.

One at 6.3 with Center spot and it worked! Unfortunately I don’t have it with me now.

EVF - I’m glad I already have one - otherwise I would buy one. It seems to have some little focus shift at far distance focus.

But it’s very little and I must have some more experience.

The good news is: even as soft as it is - often through EVF I could manage to find focus peaking

Best regards

lik

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

That analogy doesn't work at all. A lens is a tool or instrument not a performance.

Your point about the value of an original to a collector is well taken – a reproduction, however physically close, isn't going to satisfy a collector as a substitute for an original of what is being collected. However, speaking as a non-collector, the availability of these old lens designs in a newly manufactured product is a very welcome development.

It is only an analogy about original v re-creation for those interested in collecting. From a user viewpoint, which represents the majority of people on this forum as far as I can observe, you are correct and it is only a tool. This, however, begs the question as to why this lens does not improve on the old design, which many consider to be flawed anyway. I have no interest either way, but it is a point that occurs.

William

• Like 1

I don't think Leica nor owners of the new lens have suggested or believe that is anything other than a re-creation. How could it be? It is a Thambar-M for one thing. Other than Leica completists who buy everything Leica produce, the type of people likely to be interested in this lens are those who want to use it rather than collect it. Your post smacks a bit like trying to rain on the parade of those expressing enthusiasm for this lens in this thread but, being argued from a collector perspective, really ends up missing the point.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm just introducing a new perspective into the discussion.

William

• Like 1

you are correct and it is only a tool. This, however, begs the question as to why this lens does not improve on the old design, which many consider to be flawed anyway. I have no interest either way, but it is a point that occurs.

But aren't the 'flaws' what make this a cult lens? There are any number of other, highly corrected 90s to choose from. 

• Like 1

But aren't the 'flaws' what make this a cult lens? There are any number of other, highly corrected 90s to choose from. 

Correct. Just like the Summar. This could go around in circles and we could end up discussing which one has the best 'flaws', the original or the re-creation. As I said in my first post above, such a lens should be judged on what it can do now as a user lens and whether photographers want it. 

William

Its just another paint brush .......I just wish it wasn't 6.5K ......... but Leica knows it customer

And I'm sure they are amused with the direction of this thread.

Anyone ever shoot through the cellophane that wrapped a pack of cigarettes?

The Thambar result kinda looks like that, for landscapes.

Edited by ECohen

What a tricky lens! Interesting, though. I assume that if you use the centre spot, you have to shoot wide open, otherwise the spot becomes visible in the image?

I would think the lens is better suited to dreamy strong composition with a single subject; a youth lounging about on a sultry afternoon (shades of Lolita), those slightly formal portraits with a 1,000 yard stare popular in the 1930s ... that sort of thing. Controling highlights will be a challenge; and using the lens to effect where it gives an interesting image of the subject, rather than a technical example of the quality of the lens.

Good luck with this, Lik. Not a challenge I would rise to, but I salute your enthusiasm!

• Like 3

What a tricky lens! Interesting, though. I assume that if you use the centre spot, you have to shoot wide open, otherwise the spot becomes visible in the image? ...

Stopping down by more than a very few stops will make the aperture smaller than the spot, resulting in total darkness.