How Do Some Of You Disguise Your Q / Q2 From Criminals

Don’t be afraid to use your Leica Camera. I am really disappointed to see used Leicas with only hundreds of shot taken. They are tools, not cabinet curiosities ! 

I shoot the heck out of mine : Q 51K ; CL 17K ; M Monochrom 17K

I only use those for a short time M10 5K ; T 1.5K ; M 2K ; M9 2K 

If you are too afraid to make a dent, please don’t buy any Leica at all. They deserve to see the light  

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/4/2019 at 10:14 AM, Kaiden said:

Personal rule is to never look down on advice given.  However in this case.. yikes lol.  Funny but I will pass.  As for the CCW, I am all set.. just won’t have justification if it’s not an viable threat.  Thanks for the laugh.. going to keep the nuts and bolts in the shop.. 🤪

If someone confronts you in an attempt to steal your Q2,  bring your concealed weapon into play:  As fast as lightning, unzip your pants and piss all over the camera.  Problem solved. 

When you get home, you can rinse the Q2 off and it's good as new, thanks to the weather sealing which also doubles as a robbery prevention feature.  😄

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1

I've never tried to hide any camera. I just don't make it obvious that I have anything expensive with me by dressing appropriately for where I am and using my cameras in an economical, professional manner. Most potential thieves would be horrified that they passed by my bag which often has $10K to $20K worth of camera and stuff in it, most of it highly and easily saleable. 

Taping up a camera, to me, is a solution to a problem that exists only in the mind of the person who does it. 

24 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I've never tried to hide any camera.

Come on, the fact that you have the shoulders and build of a serious weight lifter has something to do with your relaxed manner.

2 hours ago, pico said:

Come on, the fact that you have the shoulders and build of a serious weight lifter has something to do with your relaxed manner.

LOL! Thank you, Pico! I never thought I was that imposing (or that handsome)... :D 

14 hours ago, ramarren said:

I've never tried to hide any camera. I just don't make it obvious that I have anything expensive with me by dressing appropriately for where I am and using my cameras in an economical, professional manner. Most potential thieves would be horrified that they passed by my bag which often has $10K to $20K worth of camera and stuff in it, most of it highly and easily saleable. 

Taping up a camera, to me, is a solution to a problem that exists only in the mind of the person who does it. 

Granted I am by far not a push over nor do I give off the "steal from me" vibe, quite the opposite.  You are right, taping up a camera is absolutely a solution in the mind of the person who does it.  So would be locking your doors when you sleep, wearing a seatbelt, or even wearing a couple extra layers of clothing while base jumping, thinking perhaps it will give a little extra protection if a mishap should occur. 

You are from Silicon, so you probably can sympathize with the Bay Area not really being safe and secure... recently there have been multiple thefts relating to Photographers which have ended up in death.  So with this being said, if a little square piece of black tap stops one dummy who is a would be trigger finger mental case, than I need to buy more tape!  Simply not worth it.  Being aware of your surroundings and knowing when you should or maybe shouldn't shoot a photograph is always a smart thing.   

Good thing for me is I am coming from big DSLR's and have had suspected encounters with individuals who decided against doing something which could have ended up bad.  More than once actually.  Simply was curious about what folks in the Leica world did and actually got a lot of FUNNY replies, not many of which were logical but still very entertaining.  So thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 7:13 AM, antigallican said:

Sometimes I put a smidge of electrical tape over my Q's red dot, but I don't know that robbers would check out the brand, it's more the noticeability of the red dot. Probably if it had a black dot I'd never bother

DAG Camera Parts  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just placed an order with Tekiac, and they even offered me to have them ship the case 1st and pay later once I received. In today's world, business model like this is almost to non existence!

I couldn't wait to have this case in hands!

Edited by m9photo

I attach this to the front of my Q, using a 49-Nose step up adapter.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, caigy said:

I attach this to the front of my Q, using a 49-Nose step up adapter.

Please post a picture of this combination. You know, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Thanks Everyone For The Feedback.. I think I am going to go with the tape.. lol..  Solid suggestions though, some more funny than practical!  Just glad I am not hauling one of these around anymore... Cheers....

Edited by Kaiden
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most thefts reported on here are camera bags swiped from under restaurant tables or left in cars. Very few - in fact I can't recall any - muggings. 

Most of us carry expensive smartphones not to mention wallets with contactless credit cards and probably some cash. 

I do think people worry too much about their red dots.

33 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Most thefts reported on here are camera bags swiped from under restaurant tables or left in cars. Very few - in fact I can't recall any - muggings. 

Most of us carry expensive smartphones not to mention wallets with contactless credit cards and probably some cash. 

I do think people worry too much about their red dots.

While I would love to agree with you, I feel you are very inaccurate as I personally have knowledge of more thefts not on this Forum, daily career forces this on me.  

Smartphones are no go anymore for muggings, phones have trackers and disable rendering them useless to most.. while people will still swipe them when they are left behind, it’s not the career criminal it’s the uneducated thief..

What is happening is people are actually getting there high end equipment taken by thieves smashing and grabbing and in other cases, plain shooting them causing death in a few recent cases.  

With this I am simply asking what people did in regards to Leica.  While there have been some funny replies here and I do enjoy them.  We all should always keep our heads on a swivel and not assume we are always safe.  

This topic is highly debatable with opinions, not intending it to get out of control with what people feel, simply saying what I personally have knowledge of.  When multiple people have been murdered for there camera equipment, it’s foolish to assume nothing will ever happen to you.  

Regardless thank you for you reply and thoughts! Much appreciated.. stay safe.. 

5 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Erl's camera in Naples - following the Palermo One Challenge I think.

Pete.

I’ve never had an issue, even walking around urban areas like Oakland, Baltimore and DC.  The dot is never seen except for the brief instant it’s in front of my face, when I’d be more concerned about pickpockets (a money belt under pants front solves that.)  In cooler weather and crowded areas, my camera is typically under my open jacket at my side, ready for quick access.

But I agree with Reynolds that a black Leica dot from DAG is a more attractive solution than tape.  Blends right into black body at any distance.

Jeff