How Do Some Of You Disguise Your Q / Q2 From Criminals

6 hours ago, pico said:

Those Leia owners who are particularly concerned about being robbed are deluded.

Unfortunately my friend you have it backwards.  I am no small man and not at all timid when it comes to violent situations, quite handle them well actually.  However with this, others are not or simply do not want to encounter anything and should take a little extra precaution in all situations.  

Saying don’t protect yourself is absolutely the wrong way to look at this.  We are all here to support one another and again while I do really appreciate your input, honestly feel it would help to encourage people to be safe instead of blind... that’s all.  Thanks 

If this tinny thread gets one person thinking and in turn stops one theft, I say it’s a success.  

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I’ve never had an issue, even walking around urban areas like Oakland, Baltimore and DC.  The dot is never seen except for the brief instant it’s in front of my face, when I’d be more concerned about pickpockets (a money belt under pants front solves that.)  In cooler weather and crowded areas, my camera is typically under my open jacket at my side, ready for quick access.

But I agree with Reynolds that a black Leica dot from DAG is a more attractive solution than tape.  Blends right into black body at any distance.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I as well have had no issues in Oakland or Baltimore, however will be replacing the red dot with a black one.. thanks for the input! Appreciated.. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

And do insure your gear for anything outside warranty...just in case.  

Jeff

I always carry an additional plan on my home owners policy.  Would also recommend others do the same as it covers a lot of different situations other than theft.  

Mine covers all circumstances, worldwide, including those involving my own stupidity. No deductible, full replacement, with automatic value increase if prices rise or if model is changed. These policies are unfortunately not as readily available in  some in other countries, as various discussions have revealed.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

6 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Really! Do you know what happened Pete?

It's a bit sketchy in my memory now, James, but happened during a layover on Erl's journey back to Oz.  I think @erl would describe what happened far better than I could.

Pete.

3 hours ago, farnz said:

It's a bit sketchy in my memory now, James, but happened during a layover on Erl's journey back to Oz.  I think @erl would describe what happened far better than I could.

Pete.

The occasion is correct, but it was my wallet with credit cards and cash that got done over. My camera would have to be prised from my dead cold hand! I was left unable to pay for my hotel or even food. The concierge at the hotel immediately offered me 50 euro from hs own pocket to buy a meal and allowed me to phone home to my bank (useless) and then family who gave me a credit card number I could pay my hotel bill with. Fortunately, the credit card was a subsidiary of mine as the primary card holder. A great advantage of being same. Later the hotel receptionist gave me her bus ticket to get me to the station, to reach Rome for the flight home. Singapore Air (who heard my story) provided me with a first class lounge pass and 'fast check' through Customs. I was met at the door of the aircraft by the purser who handed me a hamper of food and asked if I needed any cash for my ongoing travels!!

This is but the tip of the iceberg of the adventure. From the moment of being pickpocketed, I was constantly showed with kindness by a vast number of fabulous people, who actually did things to help me.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, erl said:

The occasion is correct, but it was my wallet with credit cards and cash that got done over. My camera would have to be prised from my dead cold hand! I was left unable to pay for my hotel or even food. The concierge at the hotel immediately offered me 50 euro from hs own pocket to buy a meal and allowed me to phone home to my bank (useless) and then family who gave me a credit card number I could pay my hotel bill with. Fortunately, the credit card was a subsidiary of mine as the primary card holder. A great advantage of being same. Later the hotel receptionist gave me her bus ticket to get me to the station, to reach Rome for the flight home. Singapore Air (who heard my story) provided me with a first class lounge pass and 'fast check' through Customs. I was met at the door of the aircraft by the purser who handed me a hamper of food and asked if I needed any cash for my ongoing travels!!

This is but the tip of the iceberg of the adventure. From the moment of being pickpocketed, I was constantly showed with kindness by a vast number of fabulous people, who actually did things to help me.

Wow, thanks for sharing this story!  Amazing all of the kind individuals who helped you get through this unfortunate situation.  Glad you are ok and everything (well sort of) worked out! 

• Thanks 1

A horrible experience Erl, especially when away from home but not a case of someone confronting you and taking your camera which is what was referred to above. Thankfully such instances are quite rare. 

Ive been pickpocketed too, in London, my guard was down as I was in a fairly exclusive bar which had bouncers on the doors, my jacket was over the back of my chair with my wallet in the pocket. 

Wallets and phones are much more appealing to casual thieves than camera gear.

This account reinforces my earlier comment (post 40) about being far more concerned with pickpockets in urban areas, not camera thieves.  I carry money, credit cards, ID, etc in a money belt under my pants front (and a small amount of cash in my pocket for quick access.....or to satisfy a mugger).

Jeff

9 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

This account reinforces my earlier comment (post 40) about being far more concerned with pickpockets in urban areas, not camera thieves.  I carry money, credit cards, ID, etc in a money belt under my pants front (and a small amount of cash in my pocket for quick access.....or to satisfy a mugger).

Jeff

You do understand I personally am not disputing thieves are not interested in money and credit cards.  On a side note if you think they need to get your physical card to steal it, I kindly recommend a google search.  

Again this thread is not about what you think someone will steal! It’s about methods to lessen the REAL possible threat of a thief and a Leica camera.  Feel free to start a thread on money belts etc at some other forum.  

To many folks post replies about why people shouldn’t be cautious and I honestly think you are giving people a seriously large false sense security, this is wrong.  Everyone should always be aware of there surroundings.

The answer to this thread what completed a while ago.  Black replacement Leica logo or Tape.. etc.  thanks again for the replies and the online retailer who sales the Leica logos.. 

36 minutes ago, Kaiden said:

You do understand I personally am not disputing thieves are not interested in money and credit cards.  On a side note if you think they need to get your physical card to steal it, I kindly recommend a google search.  

Again this thread is not about what you think someone will steal! It’s about methods to lessen the REAL possible threat of a thief and a Leica camera.  Feel free to start a thread on money belts etc at some other forum.  

To many folks post replies about why people shouldn’t be cautious and I honestly think you are giving people a seriously large false sense security, this is wrong.  Everyone should always be aware of there surroundings.

The answer to this thread what completed a while ago.  Black replacement Leica logo or Tape.. etc.  thanks again for the replies and the online retailer who sales the Leica logos.. 

No need to start any new threads; your topic and related security topics have been covered ad nauseam, including hundreds of references to DAG, black dots,  and many other helpful possibilities.  You might consider your own search.

Welcome to forum discussion.  It’s always free to roam unless the moderators suggest otherwise or close a thread. Even original posters are free to complain or wander off.

Jeff

13 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

No need to start any new threads; your topic and related security topics have been covered ad nauseam, including hundreds of references to DAG, black dots,  and many other helpful possibilities.  You might consider your own search.

Welcome to forum discussion.  It’s always free to roam unless the moderators suggest otherwise or close a thread. Even original posters are free to complain or wander off.

Jeff

No need to wander Jeff, If I start something I see it through... thanks for the tip in regards to searching this forum.  So far this thread has proved a more valuable resource than others, related to theft.. thanks for contributing.  Cheers!

Edited by Kaiden

Be careful what you commit to... it’s not unusual for someone to resurrect a threads months or even years later.... often not noticing it’s an old discussion.  

Search for discussions concerning the M especially, since most every general travel and security (and bag, and strap, and accessories, and ....) topic has been covered, just substituting Q for M, but the same basic issues.

Jeff

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

Be careful what you commit to... it’s not unusual for someone to resurrect a threads months or even years later.... often not noticing it’s an old discussion.  

Search for discussions concerning the M especially, since most every general travel and security (and bag, and strap, and accessories, and ....) topic has been covered, just substituting Q for M, but the same basic issues.

Jeff

I appreciate it brother! Good suggestion... will take a look.  New to Leica after a couple decades of other brands.  Kept it Q Forum.. possibly my issue! Thanks again..

And even general discussion in the bar area, often specific to perceived dangerous areas, for instance “I’m headed to Barcelona... “

Just search here or even Google “Leica forum (enter key words here)”  Lots of threads will pop up.

Jeff