Kaiden

How Do Some Of You Disguise Your Q / Q2 From Criminals

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fortunately I live in Japan where theft is pretty much non-existent. I've lost my wallet 4 times in the past and it's always been returned. I can leave my bag (which can include upwards of $30K+ of gear) for the bathroom and expect it to be there when I come back. 

When I travel to third world countries or European cities where tourists are targeted, I take my less expensive Fuji kit.

5 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Fortunately I live in Japan where theft is pretty much non-existent. I've lost my wallet 4 times in the past and it's always been returned. I can leave my bag (which can include upwards of $30K+ of gear) for the bathroom and expect it to be there when I come back. 

When I travel to third world countries or European cities where tourists are targeted, I take my less expensive Fuji kit.

Amazing!  Sadly I feel it is not the same here in the States... Not to get off topic, but Mr. Q why do you think this is?  Culture, Respect for other people.  I know I am throwing out a side bar but I have always wanted to travel to Japan and will do so in the next year or two, simply curious. 

I can confirm the statement of Mr.Q, since I spent almost 30 years of living and working in Japan, it is a safe country. Once I left a Zero Halliburton briefcase in the train, could pick it up next day at lost&found. Forget my wallet in the Taxi after paying, it came back 15min later, a friend left his Sony camera in a Taxi, two days later I picked it up at the Taxi company, their comment was: Nice photos of Mt. Fuji!   People put their cellphone on an empty table at Mc Donalds to indicate the table is reserved and go the counter, nobody takes the phone away.

In Japan, even on late night hours, I feel comfortable with a Leica M around my neck, there is no risk. I think, it is a matter of education, at home and at school and so part of the social behavior and finally, culture. However, recently, there are more complaints about theft and petty crime - the Japanese blame it on the growing number of visiting foreigners....

1 hour ago, Kaiden said:

Amazing!  Sadly I feel it is not the same here in the States... Not to get off topic, but Mr. Q why do you think this is?  Culture, Respect for other people.  I know I am throwing out a side bar but I have always wanted to travel to Japan and will do so in the next year or two, simply curious. 

I'm not sure either, but I feel we have a common virtue within our society to respect and help others. Failing to do so feels like we are not only embarrassing ourselves but letting down the whole of society.  It's just embedded in our brain through education and parenting so I guess you could call it a cultural thing.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, Kaiden said:

Curious as the Q2 is my gateway Leica.  Always used and still use Pro DSLR’s from Canon / Sony, but never Leica until now.  How do some of you change or hide the Leica Flare or the Red Leica Dot?  Curious as I was simply going to use tape to cover it.  I normally shoot in a more elevated crime area and would dislike very much to be robbed.. I understand it’s a risk you take and understand insurance but with the scarce availability of the Q2, would be nice to keep my own stuff.  Lol.. thanks 

If your worried about going outside with a leica your probably better off using your hand phone same field of view and everyone has one. 

58 minutes ago, NW67 said:

If your worried about going outside with a leica your probably better off using your hand phone same field of view and everyone has one. 

Not really the topic but thanks for this advice! Guess I never thought of this! Wow now I won’t have to spend a ton of money on Leica branded equipment! Drinks are on me then!! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, Kaiden said:

Not really the topic !

Really. That’s what it sounded like to me. 

Neil

1 minute ago, NW67 said:

Really. That’s what it sounded like to me. 

Neil

Title says it all.. thanks for saving me money! Where were you with this knowledge on the first page? Amazing!

4 minutes ago, Kaiden said:

Where were you with this knowledge on the first page? Amazing!

Probably walking around China town taking pictures with my Q2 😂😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Probably walking around China town taking pictures with my Q2 😂😂😂😂

Cool, I have been to china town.  You are probably a really good photographer.  I can tell because of all the great advice.  You already have given me great tips, can you help me with some spots around SF to shoot.  I will have my phone so.. 

2 minutes ago, Kaiden said:

Cool, I have been to china town.  You are probably a really good photographer.  I can tell because of all the great advice.  You already have given me great tips, can you help me with some spots around SF to shoot.  I will have my phone so.. 

Yes I am 

i have no idea where SF is

neil

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Yes I am 

i have no idea where SF is

neil

Super, so I know something you don’t! This is a first.  It’s in the United States, specifically California.  SF is short for San Francisco, they have a China Town there.  

I really appreciate your honesty, most good photographers are modest and won’t really admit they are any good.  Only because it kind of a craft you never really max out your learning capacity! Really great meeting you on here though.  Always a real treat to talk to such confident people.  You should stick around here Neil people can learn a lot from you.  I know I have..

Edited by Kaiden

38 minutes ago, Kaiden said:

Super, so I know something you don’t! This is a first.  It’s in the United States, specifically California.  SF is short for San Francisco, they have a China Town there.  

I really appreciate your honesty, most good photographers are modest and won’t really admit they are any good.  Only because it kind of a craft you never really max out your learning capacity! Really great meeting you on here though.  Always a real treat to talk to such confident people.  You should stick around here Neil people can learn a lot from you.  I know I have..

I thought SAN Francisco was in Mexico just goes to show how much I know.................  https://neilsphotography.co.uk/

ive got leica Q pictures on here without the black tape

neil 

9 minutes ago, NW67 said:

I thought SAN Francisco was in Mexico just goes to show how much I know.................  https://neilsphotography.co.uk/

ive got leica Q pictures on here without the black tape

neil 

Thanks Neil, I appreciate you putting your website on here.  

I am fighting off the urge to look at it right now as I feel given your commitment to the pronounced greatness of yourself, it may draw me in, subsequently taking up my entire day drooling over images so great, mere common folk like me don’t deserve.  

So your saying no on the black tape?  What about tape over my iPhone label..? 

1 minute ago, Kaiden said:

I am fighting off the urge to look at it right now as I feel given your commitment to the pronounced greatness of yourself, it may draw me in, subsequently taking up my entire day drooling over images so great, mere common folk like me don’t deserve.  

Go on take a look at it........ you know you want to....... so so badly 

hahaha 

neil

5 minutes ago, Kaiden said:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-t2-pro-xt-2---125-_-1691038

1 minute ago, NW67 said:

Neil why do I get the feeling you are messing with me now.  It’s unkind to trickle such valuable information over less fortunate individuals heads, leading them on as if to give them hope of one day living up to your expectations.  

I kindly ask of you to not pressure me to look at your website, I feel the sight of it will crush any dreams I may have.  Especially now as I have been knocked down to a simple iPhone camera! 

Please help me with knowledge on how I can achieve such stature, such confidence to place all people on this forum below you!

Is there a group or fan club, anything I can do to pay it forward.  Is there a possible chance of a signed photograph of you looking down upon the rest of us underachieving peasants.. 

4 minutes ago, Kaiden said:

Neil why do I get the feeling you are messing with me now.  It’s unkind to trickle such valuable information over less fortunate individuals heads, leading them on as if to give them hope of one day living up to your expectations.  

I kindly ask of you to not pressure me to look at your website, I feel the sight of it will crush any dreams I may have.  Especially now as I have been knocked down to a simple iPhone camera! 

Please help me with knowledge on how I can achieve such stature, such confidence to place all people on this forum below you!

Is there a group or fan club, anything I can do to pay it forward.  Is there a possible chance of a signed photograph of you looking down upon the rest of us underachieving peasants.. 

Don’t be so hard on yourself......... practic practice practices 

neil

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NW67 said:

Don’t be so hard on yourself......... practic practice practices 

neil

Thanks for the support.. however as much as I would hate to bother you, can you lend some advice on what exactly you mean? I feel there is a riddle here?  Kind of like a how much can a woodchuck chuck scenario!

Is it Practic? Or possible Practice? Or even Practices? I am really struggling with this word smithing you got going on! Help?

Edited by Kaiden

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AndreasG said:

I can confirm the statement of Mr.Q, since I spent almost 30 years of living and working in Japan, it is a safe country. Once I left a Zero Halliburton briefcase in the train, could pick it up next day at lost&found. Forget my wallet in the Taxi after paying, it came back 15min later, a friend left his Sony camera in a Taxi, two days later I picked it up at the Taxi company, their comment was: Nice photos of Mt. Fuji!   People put their cellphone on an empty table at Mc Donalds to indicate the table is reserved and go the counter, nobody takes the phone away.

In Japan, even on late night hours, I feel comfortable with a Leica M around my neck, there is no risk. I think, it is a matter of education, at home and at school and so part of the social behavior and finally, culture. However, recently, there are more complaints about theft and petty crime - the Japanese blame it on the growing number of visiting foreigners....

Much appreciated! Thank you for the input, hopefully I can make it there in the next year of two? Mostly wanted to visit for the culture and food.. this reply has solidified this goal! Thanks again.. I really need to stop being a creature of habit and always go to Hawaii.. 

Edited by Kaiden