Panasonic S1/S1R Thoughts From SL Owners?

the 24-105 is the kit lens. It is not designated a "pro" lens--as are the 50 and the 70-200. The latter two also carry some vague gesture toward Leica: they are called "Leica certified". The 24-105, which BTW, is also a macro lens, carries neither designation.

"All interchangeable lenses of the LUMIX S Series provide high performance yet the “LUMIX S PRO” lenses further boost ultimate optical performance to be certified by LEICA for clearing stringent LEICA standards. Panasonic is committed to designing and developing 10 or more lenses with a focus on “LUMIX S PRO” lenses by 2020 and further expanding the S Series lens lineup"

Edited by frame-it

6 hours ago, frame-it said:

interesting that last year so many people said 24mp [on the SL] is more than enough.🤣

It remains more than enough for me, and I doubt it makes a significant difference to most users, whatever their wants. Panasonic recognise this with the S1, while still offering the S1R for the always hopeful. 

• Like 1

24MP is still a toss up for me - I was always of the opinion that larger pixels is more important than more pixels (e.g. for noise, dynamic range), but the likes of Sony are well on the way to disproving that theory. Having said that, I'd still prefer only a "small" uplift to 36mp in the SL2, but actually I suspect 47 is more likely following the S1R. I think 47 is right on the limit of what a current technology 35mm sensor can handle (i.e. you're into GFX/X1D territory instead).

Some companies (most ?) are already developing sensors with 100 MP or even 150 MP. Even if they should be larger, e.g.MF (33x44), the density is then much higher than the density for 50 MP for FF that you mentioned. Also Sony is rumored to use 60 MP on their next generation of alpha cameras ... (A7R IV)  And they are also expected for 2019.

The limits are continually going forward ....   no close stop in sight. No need to worry about the 47 MP, Canon offers a camera with 50 MP already since almost 4 years (well before the SL came out). A step up is therefore "overdue". :rolleyes:

Edited by caissa

Yes, makes sense - I forgot to mention my other small concern with very large megapixel sensors: file size and PC processing times. I will never need more than 36mp, maybe 48, because I never print ultra large, and I've always disliked extreme cropping (even though I appreciate there isn't much logic to that!).

Edited by Guest

Higher resolution, IBIS and a pro-sized body with an L mount? I’ve pre-ordered mine already. Not a replacement for the SL, which I love the interface and form factor of, but a bigger body hardly matters if you’re shooting the SL with grip and the zooms anyway, and I also have high hopes for the S1R with Sigma macro and 500mm glass. 

Not sure what Panasonic’s flash system is like but it can’t be worse than Leica’s. All in all I am  just stoked that Leica has put this L Mount Alliance together and can’t wait to get my hands on the S1R. 

• Like 2

Many top flash companies (well how ¨many¨ are there ?) support Panasonic cameras. Unfortunately hardly any support Leica. So the flash choice (and functionality ?) will probably improve.

I hope Sigma will soon start with a real roadmap. What I have seen until now did not show the lenses I was most interested in. (Long teles like the 500mm and fast zooms like 2.0/24-35 were not on that semi-official list).

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb sdw:

Super compelling. I might pick it up to replace my A7R3! 

This means a system change. Do you not have any E mount lenses? The ;Macro APO Lanthars 65mm f/2 and 110mm f/2.5. They could be a reason to keep the Sony A/R (maybe the only one even).

2 hours ago, AndyGarton said:

24MP is still a toss up for me - I was always of the opinion that larger pixels is more important than more pixels (e.g. for noise, dynamic range), but the likes of Sony are well on the way to disproving that theory. ...

The high iso performance of the s1 seems much better than the s1r, from some of the early pre-production reviews.   Life is full of trade offs 

1 hour ago, jrp said:

The high iso performance of the s1 seems much better than the s1r, from some of the early pre-production reviews.   Life is full of trade offs 

As expected. Nikon D5 hasn't a low resolution sensor without a reason...

13 hours ago, frame-it said:

the GFX50r/SL/S1R comparison is perhaps better

Your wish is my command. 🙂

This comparison adds another camera and this time I've chosen AF lenses which offer ultra wideangle fields of view which is something I'm personally more interested in.

It may seem a bit unfair as, unlike the MF bodies, the L-mount bodies are restricted for the foreseeable future to use of the 16-35 mm zoom if you want approximately a 16 mm FoV with AF but the size of the S1/S1R is obvious and that combo weighs in at about 2 kg (4.4 lb). Sigma has indicated that its Art lenses would be made available for the L-mount but their wideangle offerings could make the system even heavier!

If having IBIS means one can shoot without a tripod where previously one was required then I guess the weight penalty disappears but having owned and used a 42 MP Sony RX1R II since it launched I'm not convinced I need IBIS for wide fields of view in reasonable light so for me the S1R is driving the system in the wrong direction but I accept I may be in a minority there.

I'll leave the elephant in the room camera in the above comparison for discussion in another forum except to say that an X1D (maybe even the rumoured Mk II) shows what is possible and it's a direction I'd far rather see Leica follow than the feature bloat of the S1/S1R. Just my 2 cents and I totally accept that for some the Panasonic approach will be an answer to prayer.

35 minutes ago, Bob Andersson said:

I'll leave the elephant in the room camera in the above comparison for discussion in another forum except to say that an X1D (maybe even the rumoured Mk II) shows what is possible and it's a direction I'd far rather see Leica follow than the feature bloat of the S1/S1R. Just my 2 cents and I totally accept that for some the Panasonic approach will be an answer to prayer.

I don’t see Leica’s direction being a bunch of f3.2 and f4 lenses. What I see now that we have Nikon, Canon, and Panasonic in the mirrorless game is that Leica was ahead of the curve. It configured a camera that is both elegant and able to manage the new era of optics like the 50mmSL. What will be interesting to see is what effect, if any, that the Panasonic will have on the Fujis and Hasselblads. Why go mini-MF when.you can go FF with 47 MP and fast optics? As for me, I’m happy with the SL and am looking forward to the 50mm Cron. If Leica outdoes the SL with an SL2 this year, I’ll be even happier.